Things that will get your thumbs broken

DeaconBlooze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like to joke with my wife that her antics, like taking the chalk away from the table, would get her thumbs broken anywhere but in our basement. Last night I was playing and tapped the ball with my practice swing, and then took a quick stroke to make the shot... :eek:

My wife assured me that this was a great way to get my thumbs broken..

It's just a joke in reference to The Hustler, but what other bad habits will get your proverbial thumbs broken?

SC02GTP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not paying your debt after a match/game
Trying to walk out the door with somebody else's equipment

thintowin

thin2win
Silver Member
same rules apply for pool players and those that don't play pool: being a d#@k in general may not get your thumbs cracked but it raises the odds of someone smacking you upside your head. not paying debts or firing blanks might result in worse than your thumbs being broken.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
There was another thread where a third party called a foul for his friend.
...that could get your thumbs broken.

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
Putting your chalk cube on the rail face down. The penalty should be worse than just broken thumbs but our liberal-permissive society won't permit it. :grin-square:

Robert58

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
Hollaring out show me one broke pool player and I will show you 40 broke backers when the guy you are playing says his backer ran out of money and doesn't have the money to pay you for the last game.

We ran out of the place and jumped in a cab and locked the doors. Made it back to my Ship in one piece.

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
Messin' with some guys ol' lady while he's playing pool.
My thumbs still hurt... er, my friend said his thumbs still hurt from doing that. :smile:

matcase

Blondie's #1 fan
Silver Member
having your partner signal the dealers hole card to you at the Tangiers will get your hand ball peened.

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
the air-space over a table is understood to be a no-fly zone for drinks or liquids of any kind. (also applies to drool and bodily fluids)

violate the sacred air-space and lose both of your opposable digits!

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Not only did I almost get my thumbs broke, I almost got every bone in my body broke. A friend and I walked into the Parkview Bar in Rockville Center, Long Island during a blizzard. When I walked in, before I could get my butt on a bar stool this guy "Punch Drunk Charlie" asked me to play some $10 a game 8-ball. Seeing that the place was dead and probably my only chance for a score that night I said sure. Charlie was a heavyweight boxer turned sparring partner. He spared with Floyd Paterson every once in a while still. Charlie was a nice guy when sober, but when drinking he could be an animal. He hurt a lot of people in bars.

Anyway to make a long story short I break and run the first game and am waiting for the ten spot and the qurater for the next game. He looked at me and said, "I quit", and walked back to the bar. I follow him back to the bar with the house cue in hand. My frind Kenny hit him on the side of the head with a bottle of beer. It just bounced off his head like he didn't even feel it.

I swung the house cue like I was going for the fences with a bat. One thing I forgot was in NY at that time all house cues in bars were break a ways. It just shattered in tiny pieces all over the bar, doing nothing to him. By the look in his eyes I could see he was going to kill us if he got a hold of us. As quickly as we could Kenny and I made it out the front door with Charlie in hot pursuit. We were running in the middle of the main road in front of the place (Sunrise Hwy) slipping and sliding in the snow with our dress shoes on. A few times he almost held on to Kenny. We went all the way around the block and jumped into Ken's car. Even though the car started after only a few spins it like 20 spins. Johnnyt

stutz

did you call that?
Silver Member
seen some drunken idiot, and I do mean idiot, borrow a team mates cue during a practice game before our APA match, miss a shot, smack his buddy's cue onto the felt.

To me, that's grounds for an ass whoopin.

He has since been banned from APA because of his drunken behaviour.

KCRack'em

I'm not argumentative!!!!
Silver Member
Many years ago I was in a small bar in western NY. It was nearly empty, so I took the opportunity to teach my little sister's boyfriend a few things on the pool table. We both are decent sized guys, but being outnumbered kind of negates that. I was in the Navy so I knew immediately that the guys who came in were Marines. All three of them put quarters on the table. The big guy (bigger than Mark or I) tells us we should hurry up. I didn't say a word. I proceeded to run out (just a few balls). I then ran out on the big guy and couldn't resist. I asked him, "Was that fast enough for you?" I was shocked when he didn't answer. Instead, the other guys picked up their quarters and they all left.
I was half expecting to get my thumbs broken.

Many years ago I was in a small bar in western NY. It was nearly empty, so I took the opportunity to teach my little sister's boyfriend a few things on the pool table. We both are decent sized guys, but being outnumbered kind of negates that. I was in the Navy so I knew immediately that the guys who came in were Marines. All three of them put quarters on the table. The big guy (bigger than Mark or I) tells us we should hurry up. I didn't say a word. I proceeded to run out (just a few balls). I then ran out on the big guy and couldn't resist. I asked him, "Was that fast enough for you?" I was shocked when he didn't answer. Instead, the other guys picked up their quarters and they all left.
I was half expecting to get my thumbs broken.

Do Marines get entitlement to faster service, cutting lines, slighting other citizens and so forth? I ask because I don't know any Marines, and have never really encountered any in public.

KCRack'em

I'm not argumentative!!!!
Silver Member
Do Marines get entitlement to faster service, cutting lines, slighting other citizens and so forth? I ask because I don't know any Marines, and have never really encountered any in public.

In my experience, some guys who are newer to the Corps expect such things when they visit home and home is in a very small town.

leehayes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
there's a guy who plays in the local hall that feels the need to stand about a foot from the table directly in front of your shot. He will actually move around the table to be in front of your shots. To me that deserves a crack up side the head.