up and coming cue makers not well known yet ?

tenfttall

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you haven’t seen the work of Shelby Williams, check him out in Facebook in the group Shelby Custom Cues.

Here is mine I received a few days ago.

d0615af4f99cce8015bb9d7e5ebb01d0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Schmelke prices have gone way up lately...might be worth looking into.

Sent from the future.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you haven’t seen the work of Shelby Williams, check him out in Facebook in the group Shelby Custom Cues.

Here is mine I received a few days ago.

d0615af4f99cce8015bb9d7e5ebb01d0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is awesome cue....wow.

Ken

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Up and coming to means, make a great playing Cue, and still not over priced by hype.

Lots of small hobby builder who are only know to the people in local area.

Cuemaking full time requires a lot of equiptent, selection of wood, pins, supplies and all the other supplies nessessary to put out a finish product.

Then you got to have money to pay bill, feed family, etc.

Last edited:

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
Up and coming to means, make a great playing Cue, and still not over priced by hype.

Lots of small hobby builder who are only know to the people in local area.

Cuemaking full time requires a lot of equiptent, selection of wood, pins, supplies and all the other supplies nessessary to put out a finish product.

Then you got to have money to pay bill, feed family, etc.

By this measure, I would say Steve Dunkel in NJ. He is good friends with Barry Z and has got some tips and tricks from him and other cuemakers. Steve sells out at the SPE every year on 1st or 2nd day. He also makes one of the best custom jumpers on the market.

AK-Stick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had Gus built me a cue, Barry built me a cue, Benders built a couple, Perry Weston built me a cue, Schick built me a cue, Searing,Hersek,Southwest ( only perambuco Southwest) should of kept it. Steve Dunkel is the cue I now play with. His cues may not be as well known but from my experience his workmanship is on par and it plays.

shooter_Hans

Unless these guys are making carbon shafts in their garage or workshop then I’m going with technology.

I think my days of buying expensive inferior cues are over with.

They are cool but not as cool as when that’s the only way to get a cue. Isn’t cue making a dying art? More have passed away then new great makers. They don’t seem to want to pass on their skills. It dies with them.

AK-Stick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can tell you Steve Dunkels low deflection shafted are NOT inferior!! He may have gone a different direction since I got his but I have a AAA players that borrowed mine and ran out that was impressed and he playes with a DaVinty.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Unless these guys are making carbon shafts in their garage or workshop then I’m going with technology.

I think my days of buying expensive inferior cues are over with.

They are cool but not as cool as when that’s the only way to get a cue. Isn’t cue making a dying art? More have passed away then new great makers. They don’t seem to want to pass on their skills. It dies with them.
We were talking about this at the 'hall the other day. It seems that most players under, say, 40 don't care about customs anymore. They see pros using production cues and that's what they buy. The only guys i see these days with hi-end custom cues are almost always 50+. There are a few fantastic young builders(Josh Treadway, Cody Cash come to mind) but i just wonder how much longer there will be a customer base for hi-end one off's.

shooter_Hans

We were talking about this at the 'hall the other day. It seems that most players under, say, 40 don't care about customs anymore. They see pros using production cues and that's what they buy. The only guys i see these days with hi-end custom cues are almost always 50+. There are a few fantastic young builders(Josh Treadway, Cody Cash come to mind) but i just wonder how much longer there will be a customer base for hi-end one off's.
There isn’t much disposable income for a cue with my generation and this up and coming generation. I grew up in the era of the famous hall of fame cue makers. They are either retired or passed. If I had the money to drop on a cue then I also have to find someone to make it.

Plus they are hard to liquidate in an already niche market. Not many people are going to take my 5k cue off me but a badass carbon cue from XYZ company are.

It was hard even to spend 1k on a custom cue when I grew up and now players are dropping 1k without hesitation for the newest carbon cue. Predators, mezz and cue Tec have made a brand for themselves and trusted. Custom cue makers are looked upon by the young people as someone you hire to make you a cue for cheap because you couldn’t afford a predator or mezz. That’s how the young players feel or when they show off their new carbon to me. They get giddy over it. They’re not familiar with exotic woods and material.

Carbon shafts and the term deflection is to get people to buy new equipment and put cue makers out of business. How are cue makers gong to combat the usage and sales of carbon shafts? It’s not like they can turn them in their garage.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There isn’t much disposable income for a cue with my generation and this up and coming generation. I grew up in the era of the famous hall of fame cue makers. They are either retired or passed. If I had the money to drop on a cue then I also have to find someone to make it.

Plus they are hard to liquidate in an already niche market. Not many people are going to take my 5k cue off me but a badass carbon cue from XYZ company are.

It was hard even to spend 1k on a custom cue when I grew up and now players are dropping 1k without hesitation for the newest carbon cue. Predators, mezz and cue Tec have made a brand for themselves and trusted. Custom cue makers are looked upon by the young people as someone you hire to make you a cue for cheap because you couldn’t afford a predator or mezz. That’s how the young players feel or when they show off their new carbon to me. They get giddy over it. They’re not familiar with exotic woods and material.
Younger players want tools to use, not closet queen collectors items. I play in a large place(30+) tables with quite a few under 45 players. They all use production stuff. Might be one custom per every 30 players if that.

shooter_Hans

Younger players want tools to use, not closet queen collectors items. I play in a large place(30+) tables with quite a few under 45 players. They all use production stuff. Might be one custom per every 30 players if that.
Very true and my experience as well. They are in awe that I would hire someone to make me a cue when XYZ company is available to purchase. They think I can’t afford it so I have to hire some guy to make a cue for me in his garage. Lol

They view cues differently.