Press on Straight Pool

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Here is a link to a nice article by George Fels about the recent 14.1 World Tournament and John Schmidt.

http://www.billiardsdigest.com/showblogentry.php?id=193

It is nice to read something about Straight Pool and George has always been a great supporter of 14.1. He gives an analysis of the styles of play of some of the competitors and how it relates to the history of the game. Much more depth than we are used to seeing.

I am a little surprised that there has not been much press about John's win at the Maryland Straight Pool Tournament. On its own, that is a great win, because of the world class competition, but in conjunction with his earlier win of the World Championship, and the way he ran the balls at practice speed, the lack of press is mind boggling.

p.s. I am not giving this link because George was nice enough to mention my name in the article. I was only the messenger and acting on instructions of John and Bill in making John's videos available to the premier straight pool writer in the industry. :smile:

George Fels

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We went to press too late to cover Maryland as well, Dennis. Everything else you said was spot-on. Best, GF

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Nice article, as usual, from George, with whom I was very pleased to catch up in Chicago this past June. Thanks for sharing, Dennis.

Have to say, though, that everytime I encounter the assertion that whether players chip out a few balls off the rack or blast the pack open is a conscious stylistic choice, I chuckle just a bit. I've attended major straight pool events since the mid 1970's, so I've seen how the old schoolers played, not just how the new stars of straight pool play.

The chip away approach used by the vast majority of the players of the golden age of straight pool was not at all indicative of the fact that they saw it as the best approach to straight pool. It bordered on being the only possible approach, largely dictated by the fact that they played on slow nappy cloth, with dead balls and dead rails. Back in the day, even if they hit the breakshots with the same pace as the stars of today, fewer balls would come out of the pack. Luther Lassiter, based on the few times I watched him, hit the break shots harder than any player of the modern era, but, even for him, the balls didn't spread the way they would with today's playing conditions.

Back in the day, very few adopted Lassiter's approach of slamming the breakshots because the result was too many missed break shots. Lassiter, as we all know, was by far the best ball pocketer back in the golden age of straight pool, so he was up to this style of play. In addition, it made even greater sense for Lassiter to smash the rack because, even in his own estimation, his table management and pattern play were not on a par with the likes of Mosconi, Caras, Crane, or Balsis.

Today, things are different, and we all greatly enjoy watching the likes of Schmidt, Hohmann, Ortmann and Feijen overpowering a table.

John Schmidt has really done himself proud. I couldn't be happier for him, and can't wait to see him to congratulate him in person for his recent excellence and titles won. It is great for straight pool that John, who has a) dedicated himself so much to the game, b) been a great ambassador for straight pool, and c) inspired many through his magnificent play, is now the top dog, the undeniable man to beat by virtue of his exceptional play in both New York and Maryland.

Nonetheless, John's comment that he'd happily spot any player that played the dominant old school style is a bit unfair to the old masters. Most of those that play this style today learned the game on the old, nappy cloth with the dead rails and slow balls. Most of those that ever played this style are either dead or retired from competitive play.

To dismiss chipping off a few balls at a time as unambitious style of play, is, in my view, rather shortsighted.

The best way to view this debate is to say that the old masters and those that grew up playing in slow conditions knew what style of play those conditions called for, and the players of today know what style of play is best in current conditions. Both schools of players deserve their due, and whenever the large contingent of players that developed the table more gradually is dismissed as representing a slightly lesser class of competition, I'll always come to their rescue.

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I would like to add something to my last post.

I'm not suggesting that today's players, by rejecting the "chip away" approach so often seen in the old days, are dissing the old masters. On the contrary, today's crop of straight pool superstars, exemplified by John Schmidt, have correctly determined that hitting the break shot firmly is the best percentage given today's playing conditions.

In fact, there is nobody I can think of that has more respect for the old masters of straight pool than John Schmidt. For that reason,I'm very pleased that John is one of the true standardbearers for today's generation of straight poolers. John has not only inspired the current generation of straight pool players through his excellence but also by having brought the theory of the game forward.

So, to John, I offer a big thank you for what you mean and have meant to this generation of straight pool enthusiasts. You are a model of excellence both at and away from the table, and I wish you continued success.

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
I would like to add something to my last post.

I'm not suggesting that today's players, by rejecting the "chip away" approach so often seen in the old days, are dissing the old masters. On the contrary, today's crop of straight pool superstars, exemplified by John Schmidt, have correctly determined that hitting the break shot firmly is the best percentage given today's playing conditions.

In fact, there is nobody I can think of that has more respect for the old masters of straight pool than John Schmidt. For that reason,I'm very pleased that John is one of the true standardbearers for today's generation of straight poolers. John has not only inspired the current generation of straight pool players through his excellence but also by having brought the theory of the game forward.

So, to John, I offer a big thank you for what you mean and have meant to this generation of straight pool enthusiasts. You are a model of excellence both at and away from the table, and I wish you continued success.

Well said, Stu.

I don't think John was referencing the old masters at all when he made his statement. He was talking about when he plays someone today, if he sees the guy setting up for shallower angles, John figures he has the advantage, because he is not afraid to set up for steeper angles and he will get better spreads which should stand him in good stead.

As for the rest of what you said, I agree 100% and can't wait for the next opportunity that John has to showcase his game.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know what is meant by blasting and the chipping away, but I believe there could also be a third category, which I saw Mosconi use and I am told Greenleaf used as well. And that is to dissect a rack, getting in the middle of the balls and, with small precise movements of the CB, take a rack apart, shooting a good number of balls to the sides and up table corner pockets.

Lou Figueroa

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I know what is meant by blasting and the chipping away, but I believe there could also be a third category, which I saw Mosconi use and I am told Greenleaf used as well. And that is to dissect a rack, getting in the middle of the balls and, with small precise movements of the CB, take a rack apart, shooting a good number of balls to the sides and up table corner pockets.

Lou Figueroa

I'd suggest that this is an "in rack" style rather than a style regarding the first opening of the rack. It is, indeed, a beautfiul way to play the table and Johnny Ervolino used to go about his business this way.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane, Lou.

sparkle84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't know if he was referencing the old style players or not but one thing is very clear. With the exception of break shot speed he plays the game in much the same way as the old school guys did. That's why he's so good. He has the best straight pool mind that's come around in a long, long time. With today's equipment, when a break shot can be hit with force safely & effectively it's akin to shooting yourself in the foot to not do so. Anyone who doesn't recognize this isn't going to reach their full potential in this game.