Best All Around Player of the Present and Recent Past???

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Efren won the Maine Event 14.1 in 1995. I think he also made the finals of the world 14.1 tournament one year, and had the high run in the U.S. Open 14.1 one year.

Wow, I didn't know that.

Thanks for sharing.

Ken

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Nick Varner IMO, is the best all around player if someone had to compete and win at all levels and games.

I am a huge fan of Efren, maybe the GOAT, but he never got to compete in college and I have never heard of competing in 14.1.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Ken
Efren won the firs 14.1 event he ever played, and he didn't know the rules. Typical.

I (and a few others) were in attendance the year he came in 3rd in the US Open 14.1 one year with some century runs including a 140+ against Dallas West, IIRC.

The pockets were huge.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here's a creative break shot he played (I think this may have been against Mike Sigel):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jw1lMLUHC3A

I think when he ended up in 3rd place at the US Open 14.1, his last shot was bank cross side with the cueball going around the table to the stack (as opposed to the up and down that your video shows). I believe he missed the shot that I'm talking about. Lou F. might remember.

I'm all for the fun and magic, but that's not straight pool.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He plays all games very well.

Ding dong daddy.

Whaddya wanna do for a few?
I saw Larry Price sink a double long rail bank at a long ago DCC to seal the match against Feijen. It was all Larry from that point on. Larry told me right after the match "that shot wilted him"...LOL. RIP Larry.

Feijen may be up there, but does he have any bank or onehole credentials for our consideration?

Edit: before this match, I didn't know that Feijen was capable of "wilting" lol...played too strong

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member
Learn to accept it. I believe the other games get their fair share of the credit, but that they are not due that much credit in the first place.

Personally, I love the fringe games, but they lie on the periphery of our sport...."

Not to be pugnacious, but no, I can't accept that 9 & 10 ball are literally the only game(s) in town. This perspective to me is kinda like trying to determine who makes the best hamburger...hell, we've all had plenty and they are all pretty damn good...even the greasy one at the bait shop down by the dock on lake marion, where you've got do dine next to the spinner baits. But the real question is who makes the best chateaubriand...and pairs it with the best wine...with tawny port to finish the meal. To me, that means who can best use creative thinking and pairs it with execution. 9 and 10 ball just don't cut the muster in this regard and represent a paint by numbers approach to what should be a diverse game with diverse skill sets.

Approaching the game with the above in mind would, at least to me, differentiate our collection of games (which our sport is, as opposed to the monoculture which is snooker). The Jansco's got this as does Greg Sullivan. In fact, it is no coincidence that that I started this thread as the 2020 DCC approaches. It's fun and represents something fresh and different. 9 & 10 ball can not hold this poster's attention, frankly. I'm bored and want to see more, which our sport can provide...unlike snooker. Promoters take notice...this pool player can't even tune in to his own preffered hobby much these days...let's strive for more!

Anyway, I'm not playing much these days , but as my marathon home build comes to a conclusion (can it though???), I'm starting to toy with the idea of playing again and, yes, actually competing. One day. But watching...that is another matter. Let's take it up a notch guys.

As for SJM, I really enjoy reading your account of the state of affairs in our game and you telling it straight as to who is playing well and not so well. Well played my friend, keep it up. But for your consideration, let's cast a wider net for the benefit of all.

Wow, that took a lot of typing with one hand doing the work and the other holding a brew.

Cheers,

JL

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll play him with the nutz...but I fear that they will get beat into oblivion. Gasp...I know so

I played him once and had him...and he knew it, too.

I tried to force follow a close to the pocket and straight-ish 6b...fired that green #*ckrr into the point and he ran the 4 balls to take the set.

jalapus logan

Silver Member
I played him once and had him...and he knew it, too.

I tried to force follow a close to the pocket and straight-ish 6b...fired that green #*ckrr into the point and he ran the 4 balls to take the set.

Ah...I know that shot. I think It's my specialty...at f'ing it up, lol. I feel ya, but well played my friend.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Crap...but that wasn't what I wanted to say...your analogy pool:food is an interesting one and does require considering.

That said, rotation games are really the only games that are played at a world-level. Like it or not, they are today's measuring stick, for pro pool.

I like one pocket and banks, but even in the US, banks is a niche game of a niche sport. One pocket is more prevalent...but that's US only, really.

jalapus logan

Silver Member
Crap...but that wasn't what I wanted to say...your analogy pool:food is an interesting one and does require considering.

That said, rotation games are really the only games that are played at a world-level. Like it or not, they are today's measuring stick, for pro pool.

I like one pocket and banks, but even in the US, banks is a niche game of a niche sport. One pocket is more prevalent...but that's US only, really.

I refuse to accept the world as it is...I demand the world as it should be. Jim Beam is fine, but Woodford Reserve is better...Wilderness Trail is better still. Sorry, I like the good stuff.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I refuse to accept the world as it is...I demand the world as it should be. Jim Beam is fine, but Woodford Reserve is better...Wilderness Trail is better still. Sorry, I like the good stuff.

I hear ya.

We each choose for ourselves....great place we live in.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Not to be pugnacious, but no, I can't accept that 9 & 10 ball are literally the only game(s) in town. This perspective to me is kinda like trying to determine who makes the best hamburger...hell, we've all had plenty and they are all pretty damn good...even the greasy one at the bait shop down by the dock on lake marion, where you've got do dine next to the spinner baits. But the real question is who makes the best chateaubriand...and pairs it with the best wine...with tawny port to finish the meal. To me, that means who can best use creative thinking and pairs it with execution. 9 and 10 ball just don't cut the muster in this regard and represent a paint by numbers approach to what should be a diverse game with diverse skill sets.

Approaching the game with the above in mind would, at least to me, differentiate our collection of games (which our sport is, as opposed to the monoculture which is snooker). The Jansco's got this as does Greg Sullivan. In fact, it is no coincidence that that I started this thread as the 2020 DCC approaches. It's fun and represents something fresh and different. 9 & 10 ball can not hold this poster's attention, frankly. I'm bored and want to see more, which our sport can provide...unlike snooker. Promoters take notice...this pool player can't even tune in to his own preffered hobby much these days...let's strive for more!

Anyway, I'm not playing much these days , but as my marathon home build comes to a conclusion (can it though???), I'm starting to toy with the idea of playing again and, yes, actually competing. One day. But watching...that is another matter. Let's take it up a notch guys.

As for SJM, I really enjoy reading your account of the state of affairs in our game and you telling it straight as to who is playing well and not so well. Well played my friend, keep it up. But for your consideration, let's cast a wider net for the benefit of all.

Wow, that took a lot of typing with one hand doing the work and the other holding a brew.

Cheers,

JL

Very well said and I love the all-around competition that is the Derby. Still, it is an outlier, which doesn't mean the sport can't evolve in a way that it moves more into the mainstream. As we know, Greg Sullivan tried to widen the appeal of all-around competitions by adding the Southern Classic and proposing to add other such events, but the project fell flat.

I cannot say you are wrong in wishing that our sport embraced the lesser disciplines more than it does now, nor am I saying that a move in this direction would be a negative. All I'm saying is that, for better or worse, these disciplines are on the fringe.

I think our views are far closer than you think, JL.

Imac007

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My list:
Pagulayan and Orcollo are currently the best all-around.
Alex is the favorite in 1-pocket; Dennis is the favorite in 14.1.
Pick 'em in 8-Ball, 9-Ball, 10-Ball, and Banks.

SVB is the best 9-Ball and 10-Ball player, but falls a bit short in 1-pocket and 14.1.
SVB also is one of the best 8-Ball players.
I don't know how to rank his Bank Pool game against Bustamante, Thorpe, Orcollo, Melling, etc.
SVB is considered the best all-around in a winner's break match format and long sets.

Appleton, at his former best, was an 8-Ball, 9-Ball and 14.1 World Champion. Darren's banking is excellent, too, but he is certainly second best to either Alex and Dennis in 1-pocket.

Corey deserves a mention, but always seems to fall short to either Alex, Dennis, and Shane.

Bustamante's only "weak" game is 14.1. Otherwise, he could be considered as best.
Of course, he's somewhat past his prime.

If we consider players who are no longer in their prime, then Efren and Nick Varner are slam-dunk choices.

Efren has won championships in every game on both pool and billiard tables, except
for 14.1, which is never played in the Philippines. Efren told me that he was at his prime well before his came to the USA in 1985 at the age of 31.
I wish we had the chance to turn back the clock and see Efren play at age 18!

I saw Nick Varner in his prime and he was dominant in every game.
In fact, he is the only man to hold World Championships in 14.1, 8-Ball, 9-Ball,
1-Pocket, and Banks.

There are a few other players who deserve mentioning here:
Jose' Parica, Allen Hopkins, Harold Worst, and Luther Lassiter.
Jose' and Hopkins were fierce money players, who rarely lost.
I never saw Worst play, but many old-timers say he was the best all-around during his brief career.
Lassiter was well past his prime when I saw him play in Atlantic City's Last Call for 9-Ball, but his all-around game is legendary.

The great European players current and recent past, like Mika, Ralf, Niels, Jayson, Oliver Ortmann, Thorsten, etc., all fail to make the list because they don't really reach the top levels in 1-Pocket.

Have I left out someone?

Alex gets my vote. Besides the noted all round game, he won the world trick shot championship and was twice Canadian snooker championship. A world 9 ball title and US 8 ball to go with it.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
My list:
Pagulayan and Orcollo are currently the best all-around.
Alex is the favorite in 1-pocket; Dennis is the favorite in 14.1.
Pick 'em in 8-Ball, 9-Ball, 10-Ball, and Banks.

SVB is the best 9-Ball and 10-Ball player, but falls a bit short in 1-pocket and 14.1.
SVB also is one of the best 8-Ball players.
I don't know how to rank his Bank Pool game against Bustamante, Thorpe, Orcollo, Melling, etc.
SVB is considered the best all-around in a winner's break match format and long sets.

Appleton, at his former best, was an 8-Ball, 9-Ball and 14.1 World Champion. Darren's banking is excellent, too, but he is certainly second best to either Alex and Dennis in 1-pocket.

Corey deserves a mention, but always seems to fall short to either Alex, Dennis, and Shane.

Bustamante's only "weak" game is 14.1. Otherwise, he could be considered as best.
Of course, he's somewhat past his prime.

If we consider players who are no longer in their prime, then Efren and Nick Varner are slam-dunk choices.

Efren has won championships in every game on both pool and billiard tables, except
for 14.1, which is never played in the Philippines. Efren told me that he was at his prime well before his came to the USA in 1985 at the age of 31.
I wish we had the chance to turn back the clock and see Efren play at age 18!

I saw Nick Varner in his prime and he was dominant in every game.
In fact, he is the only man to hold World Championships in 14.1, 8-Ball, 9-Ball,
1-Pocket, and Banks.

There are a few other players who deserve mentioning here:
Jose' Parica, Allen Hopkins, Harold Worst, and Luther Lassiter.
Jose' and Hopkins were fierce money players, who rarely lost.
I never saw Worst play, but many old-timers say he was the best all-around during his brief career.
Lassiter was well past his prime when I saw him play in Atlantic City's Last Call for 9-Ball, but his all-around game is legendary.

The great European players current and recent past, like Mika, Ralf, Niels, Jayson, Oliver Ortmann, Thorsten, etc., all fail to make the list because they don't really reach the top levels in 1-Pocket.

Have I left out someone?

Yes, you've left out Mike Sigel.

kkdanamatt

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yes, you've left out Mike Sigel.

I thought about Sigel, and in fact, I refereed several of his 14.1 and 9-ball matches in the 1980's and 1990's when he was the most feared player in those disciplines.

Mike was a truly awesome player in the finals of any 14.1 or 9-Ball tournament.
I don't know his winning percentage in those finals, but I'll bet it was about 75%.
But, I never saw Sigel play 1-Pocket, 8-Ball, or Banks during his prime.

That's why I picked Varner over Sigel as the Best All-Around player of that era.

Also, I noticed that nobody has mentioned Mizerak, who was dominant during the 1970's and early 1980's in 14.1 and somewhat less dominant in 9-Ball.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Alex gets my vote. Besides the noted all round game, he won the world trick shot championship and was twice Canadian snooker championship. A world 9 ball title and US 8 ball to go with it.

And just in case that wasn't enough, he did bet $40k on himself to win the world championships one year. And won it.

As they say: how does he sit down with balls that big?