Before & after of a home style Delmo 9ft.

poolpro2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got to sit next to a fellow named Gordon at the Mosconi Cup this year. He was the table mechanic, changed the return table to drop pockets after the first day. Sharp guy and seriously cared about what he was doing. Zach is a lucky guy!

Thanks Joey for bumping this one, I probably would never have seen it.

Houstoer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
+ 1 sir. the world needs more peeps like yourself ! congrats on doing professional work; looks really nice; also one of the best threads I've read on here ! Now if you were to team up with the guy building the pool room in his yard and do his tables we certainly would have a bestseller !!!!!! :thumbup:

Grilled Cheese

p.i.i.t.h.
Silver Member
He already bought a Diamond 7ft ProAm to go along with his 9ft Delmo so he'd have 2 tables, and I did agree to rebuild his 9ft, so there was really no point in trying to talk him into buying another table, and besides...it's a pretty good challenge to fix this one up. Working on trying to level the slates right now...what a job that is with a broken slate;)

I was going to ask the same thing as they other fellow did. This isn't simply extending the rails, refurbishing them etcetera. This is almost a total rebuild. Maybe not of the frame or legs of the table, but that is offset with all the slate work. Glen just made new rails entirely, laminated style like Diamond does. I would just trash the table and buy a brand new Diamond.

Being this guy has two tables, and the space for them - he must have a reason to want that table. There's an attachment there. Glen is probably doing what that guy Rick does who restores things on the History Channel. Some things in really bad shape not worth restoring, but people pay thousands to get it done because it was their father's or something like that.

This kind of work can't be cheap. Basically hiring a man to build you a pool table on location.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Glen is my friend, and has my total respect as an authority on everything pool tables. I've been fortunate to teach and play on many of the tables that have been fitted with the RKC treatment. As I travel around the country, it continues to amaze me what great work he does, and I frequently have students that ask about, or are waiting for him to come to their house (as he said, he has a long waiting list). He's also generous to a fault, whether it's with his time, money, materials, or even setting up opportunities for kids to play pool (like he did for mnorwood's kids in Houston). If you're lucky enough to have Glen work on your table, you have a real treasure. Keep on truckin' RKC!

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Building rails for a table is not all that hard, I've built over 500 home style pool tables in the past, as well as designed and built 102 8ft, and 26 9ft coin-operated pool tables back in 1983-1999, after which I got involved with Diamond in March of 2000 to help them design and build their coin-operated Smart Tables, the rest is history:thumbup:

flyvirginiaguy

Classic Cue Lover
Silver Member
glued and clamped.

attachment.php

Might need just 1 more clamp :grin:

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Building rails for a table is not all that hard, I've built over 500 home style pool tables in the past, as well as designed and built 102 8ft, and 26 9ft coin-operated pool tables back in 1983-1999, after which I got involved with Diamond in March of 2000 to help them design and build their coin-operated Smart Tables, the rest is history:thumbup:

…well, history repeating itself has many conversations of sadness and honor, then, there are the exceptions. This posted project and a couple of your other posting have helped me get my table playable, many thanks.

stutz

did you call that?
Silver Member
glad for the thread bump, didn't know this existed. Great work sir :thumbup:

GoldenFlash

Banned
This is a big league craftsman

Well, after rebuilding the rails to new again, I found out why the rails didn't line up on the pockets....because none of the rail bolt holes lined up with the old bolt pattern...so all the rail bolt holes were off by any where from 1/8" to 1/2" leaving no room to adjust the alignment of the rails from before...so I had to re-drill all the rail bolt holes to correct that problem....then while I was at it...I found out that one of the slates was broken...so I fixed that as well.

View attachment 146853

View attachment 146854

View attachment 146855

View attachment 146856

View attachment 146857
I don't know you, I think you're a smart aleck, but one thing is for sure. After seeing all these pics, you are ONE HELLUVA POOL TABLE REPAIR MAN.
You remind me of Mark Gregory and I would hire you in a heartbeat....(as long as you agreed to not speak a word to me at the jobsite)
You're a credit to your profession...I salute your accomplishments. Your workmanship justifies your prices!
(I still don't like you, though)

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I don't know you, I think you're a smart aleck, but one thing is for sure. After seeing all these pics, you are ONE HELLUVA POOL TABLE REPAIR MAN.
You remind me of Mark Gregory and I would hire you in a heartbeat....(as long as you agreed to not speak a word to me at the jobsite)
You're a credit to your profession...I salute your accomplishments. Your workmanship justifies your prices!
(I still don't like you, though)

That's OK, we can always agree to not like each other:thumbup:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I talked with Jon Ames up in Elko, NV quite a while back about him buying a Diamond 7ft ProAm, that he would be more interested in buying the Diamond if I'd agree to fix up his Delmo 9ft home table because he wanted both tables side by side.

I asked him what he wanted done to the Delmo and he replied that he wanted it to play tighter and right...little did I know what I was in for:D

So.....I delivered and set up his Diamond 7ft ProAm, then took apart his Delmo 9ft'er only to discover what the real condition of this table was. In the following pictures you'll see just what I saw when I took the table apart:D:D

View attachment 146775

View attachment 146776

View attachment 146777

View attachment 146778

View attachment 146779
Brought forward for viewing purposes only!