Do you expect to win ?

3RAILKICK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As a mindset....do you generally expect to win?

Unless you get beaten, (not lose.. due to bad execution or thinking) or the occasional bad roll...etc.

Are you looking for just one more shot, to start to turn the tide?

Is that winning expectation undeterred despite a/several spankings?

Where in your progression did that happen? What changed? A single thing? Or a bunch of somethings?

Is it the normal evolution of a banger to a poolplayer?

Does expecting to win cause you to lose at times?

....no, I expect to lose...of course I expect to win...:mad::mad:

...or do you expect at least to be competitive...is that enough?

....drinking some beers and wondering about sh1t...:sorry::sorry:

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I always expect to win, even when I shouldn't....

If I know the other player is a better shooter, I will still think I can pull it out with defensive play.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
I never worry about what my opponent can do
I always assume they will run out
so I just know that if I miss
they wont

I always miss but the other persons ability never becomes a factor for me

peteypooldude

I see Edges
Silver Member
As a mindset....do you generally expect to win?

Unless you get beaten, (not lose.. due to bad execution or thinking) or the occasional bad roll...etc.

Are you looking for just one more shot, to start to turn the tide?

Is that winning expectation undeterred despite a/several spankings?

Where in your progression did that happen? What changed? A single thing? Or a bunch of somethings?

Is it the normal evolution of a banger to a poolplayer?

Does expecting to win cause you to lose at times?

....no, I expect to lose...of course I expect to win...:mad::mad:

...or do you expect at least to be competitive...is that enough?

....drinking some beers and wondering about sh1t...:sorry::sorry:

Damn right I expect to win. If they're getting every roll .... I expect the momentum to change. If I'm playing bad ..... I expect to fall in stroke
If they win 5 in a row...... I think I can win 5 in a row
Doesn't always work out but you CANT win if you expect to lose
That will be $19.99. You can PayPal me at.......... #correctmindset

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Expecting to win can be bad.

You win the most with no expectations

The pressure of expecting is not easy to recognize but it is there and when things dont go right the pressure can build and be bad.

peteypooldude

I see Edges
Silver Member

The pressure of expecting is not easy to recognize but it is there and when things dont go right the pressure can build and be bad.

No pressure in expecting to win......
However there is pressure if your scared of losing

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

Expecting to win seems like idle speculation to me.....
...if you can tell the future...play the stock market instead.
I prepare to win.....and I play to win....what else can you do?

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No pressure in expecting to win......
However there is pressure if your scared of losing

The pressure comes when you start to lose. The "shoulds" add up and can take their toll.

Just live in the moment without judgement on what should or shouldnt happen.

DavidMNienow

Glamour Dave
Silver Member
So many factors effect the path of actually winning an event. But I go into each event with with full complete confidence in my own skills and knowledge, and set my mind with the goal of achieving the task at hand which is to win each match that I compete in. With my confidence, and my mental mind set, I should not be scared by any opponent I go up against, and success in the event I compete in should naturally take place.

No matter where I wind up in any event, I make the effort to record notes about errors and problems encountered while competing. From those notes I make plans to fix or correct errors and learn from each event. Loses are learning experiences and offer opportunity to learn and improve from. I do not let loses effect my confidence in my skill set or negatively effect my mental playing plan.

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So many factors effect the path of actually winning an event. But I go into each event with with full complete confidence in my own skills and knowledge, and set my mind with the goal of achieving the task at hand which is to win each match that I compete in. With my confidence, and my mental mind set, I should not be scared by any opponent I go up against, and success in the event I compete in should naturally take place.

No matter where I wind up in any event, I make the effort to record notes about errors and problems encountered while competing. From those notes I make plans to fix or correct errors and learn from each event. Loses are learning experiences and offer opportunity to learn and improve from. I do not let loses effect my confidence in my skill set or negatively effect my mental playing plan.

With a brain like you show here its no wonder you have a beauty on each side of you in your avatar.

#intelligenceisattractive

gunzby

My light saber is LD
Silver Member
Absolutely no matter the score.

I will sit there with the mindset that if you let me get to the table it's your ass.

The game isn't over until I shake your hand

worktheknight

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe most players expect to win, but, in my mind, I am always ready to win. I know everyone has different approaches while they are not at the table, but, years ago, a great player always stood very still, ample feet away from the table, but stood there like a statue and every shot I took, I could tell he was evaluating what he was going to do if he got a chance to the table.
I "knew" if I missed, he was ready to win. I adopted his style and my opponents know if they let me at the table, I ready to win. Let it be several safeties, or a legal dumping of his ball with one of mine to take control of the game, anything to get the advantage of the table. I get the odds in my favor first, set the table for a victory if a clear out is not there.
At my age know, it has been rewarding that my competitors feel very good if they beat me at say so. I will always acknowledge their win and wish them luck. That's pool. My non professional player approach is always based on effort. Never give up, give 100 % to every shot and table.
If I am down 0-6 in a race to 7, I am going to make game 7 as difficult as possible as I want the person to know I am a fighter until match over.
I do expect to win every match, more importantly, I am ready to win every match or game. I do however, respect the other person I am shooting is also expecting to win, I just hope he is not as ready to win as I am.

Tickets

Little Aussie Battler
Silver Member
I’m at the opposite end of the scale at the moment unfortunately.

When I am in matches with players far beyond my level, and I am playing well, myself talk is "I shouldn’t be here, I’m not good enough, I’m sure I’ll miss something simple and embarrass myself"

It actually takes someone to get into a verbal argument, or p1ss me off before I want to destroy them.

I can go from winning a race 7-0 till playing 3 days later and talking myself into thinking I’m in a slump.

I also worry that when I play well, my opponent will question my handicap. The endless handicap arguments do my head in.

Anyone know a good psychiatrist ha-ha.

DaveM

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Expecting to win, ( or lose), is bad. Committing to playing each shot intelligently and confidently, no matter what the score, is how I aspire to play.

flyrv9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I too expect to win and I prepare to win. However, Wichita is not that big a place. I know most of the people I end up playing in whatever league or tournament I might find myself. Over the years, most of us have played each other several times. Still, each game is different and can go either way - the main reason I give myself the best chance. I've beat people way better than me and lost to those I shouldn't have.