Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Leveling Table Without Leg Levelers?
Page 1 of 3 1 23

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Leveling Table Without Leg Levelers?
Old
  (#1)
FeelDaShot
AzB Silver Member
FeelDaShot has a reputation beyond reputeFeelDaShot has a reputation beyond reputeFeelDaShot has a reputation beyond reputeFeelDaShot has a reputation beyond reputeFeelDaShot has a reputation beyond reputeFeelDaShot has a reputation beyond reputeFeelDaShot has a reputation beyond reputeFeelDaShot has a reputation beyond reputeFeelDaShot has a reputation beyond reputeFeelDaShot has a reputation beyond reputeFeelDaShot has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Leveling Table Without Leg Levelers? - 11-13-2019, 06:51 AM

What method is typically used to adjust the level of a pool table that doesn’t have leg levelers? Shimming the slate? Shimming the legs? Both? Something else?

My house doesn’t have a basement so the foundation slab of my house moves around with the annual freeze-thaw cycle. To combat this, I installed leg levelers under my table which I can raise/lower with the turn of a nut. Consequently, my table is now raised up an extra 2” higher than it should be due to the 2" height of the leg levelers. It’s not really a problem but it’s not ideal either.

Well, I just purchased a new house and I’m now preparing to move the table into the new basement. I took my table apart and I’m considering removing the leg levelers. However, I’m not sure how tables are typically adjusted without them? If it’s going to be a pain in the butt then I’ll just keep the levelers on and deal with the added table height. Also, how often do you guys adjust the level on your tables?

I have a Brunswick Sport King. It’s the lowest tier model of the Gold Crown type tables (Sport King, Gold Crown, Anniversary, Centennial). The Sport King’s only downgrade from the Gold Crown is the legs which are not as attractive and don’t have leg levelers. Otherwise, the assembly and leveling process is the same as the Gold Crown.

Any advice/opinions would be greatly appreciated – thanks guys!

Last edited by FeelDaShot; 11-13-2019 at 06:58 AM.

Old
  (#2)
logical
sarcasm while you wait
logical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

11-13-2019, 07:42 AM

Definately shim the legs to get the frame as close to flat and level as possible. The less you need to try to do anything between the frame bed and the slate the better. You want as close to full contact as possible.

I like the look of the Sport King. It may not have been Brunswicks top of the line at the time but its miles above most tables available today.

Old
  (#3)
FeelDaShot
AzB Silver Member
FeelDaShot has a reputation beyond reputeFeelDaShot has a reputation beyond reputeFeelDaShot has a reputation beyond reputeFeelDaShot has a reputation beyond reputeFeelDaShot has a reputation beyond reputeFeelDaShot has a reputation beyond reputeFeelDaShot has a reputation beyond reputeFeelDaShot has a reputation beyond reputeFeelDaShot has a reputation beyond reputeFeelDaShot has a reputation beyond reputeFeelDaShot has a reputation beyond repute

11-13-2019, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logical View Post
Definately shim the legs to get the frame as close to flat and level as possible. The less you need to try to do anything between the frame bed and the slate the better. You want as close to full contact as possible.

I like the look of the Sport King. It may not have been Brunswicks top of the line at the time but its miles above most tables available today.
Thanks Logical. I know how to level the table for the intial setup. I'm just curious how to tweek it periodically once it's been setup for a while. Is that also adjusted using the legs?

Old
  (#4)
trentfromtoledo
8onthebreaktoledo

trentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond repute

11-13-2019, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelDaShot View Post
What method is typically used to adjust the level of a pool table that doesn’t have leg levelers? Shimming the slate? Shimming the legs? Both? Something else?
It really depends on how un-level your new basement floor is. If it is really bad, I would leave the levelers you have on there. The main issue with that frame is that all the frame members connect to the legs. Make sure those frame bolts are very tight!

Your slates have the dowels, so I would not worry about shimming under the slate as much as you would with non-doweled slates. Also make sure your slate screws are secured very well, which can be a touchy issue, if you over tighten them they could strip out. The screws on the older Brunswick are super long and high quality, finding a #16 steel screw these days is TOUGH, anyone with any info on them pleaaaaaase let me know.

Those tables can be a pain in the A$$ to set up, but, if done correctly they play nice. You already have experience setting it up so just take your time and you will do great!
Good Luck, I hope it works out nice and plays awesome.

Trent from Toledo

Old
  (#5)
BryanB
Huge Balls
BryanB has a reputation beyond reputeBryanB has a reputation beyond reputeBryanB has a reputation beyond reputeBryanB has a reputation beyond reputeBryanB has a reputation beyond reputeBryanB has a reputation beyond reputeBryanB has a reputation beyond reputeBryanB has a reputation beyond reputeBryanB has a reputation beyond reputeBryanB has a reputation beyond reputeBryanB has a reputation beyond repute

11-13-2019, 08:00 AM

After the table is setup, you would only want to change the under leg leveling. Once the slate is bolted on and the rails attached, you don't want to try shims under the slate unless you are going to go through the trouble of removing the cloth, loosen the slate bolts and the rails

Bryan
USAF Retired 1988-2009

ACS Instructor
OB Cues - Dealer & Player representative
Magic Chalk Dealer

Old
  (#6)
Bob Jewett
AZB Osmium Member
Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

11-13-2019, 10:05 AM

Quote:
... Consequently, my table is now raised up an extra 2Ē higher than it should be due to the 2" height of the leg levelers. Itís not really a problem but itís not ideal either.
When your back gets older it will enjoy the added height.

But I'm curious about your design of the leveler. Or was it a store-bought design?

Old
  (#7)
FeelDaShot
AzB Silver Member

11-13-2019, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Jewett View Post
When your back gets older it will enjoy the added height.

But I'm curious about your design of the leveler. Or was it a store-bought design?
It's easier on the back but it's a little harder on the shoulder.

The levelers were store bought. I used these: https://www.amazon.com/Swivel-Adjust...%2C142&sr=8-41
I was a little concerned about all of the weight being distributed over 4 small point loads but they worked out perfectly. No issues at all. I also added a 1 SF wooden board under each foot to protect the floor from the isolated loads.

Last edited by FeelDaShot; 11-13-2019 at 10:45 AM.

Old
  (#8)
jimmyco
NRA4Life
jimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond repute

11-13-2019, 10:53 AM

Level the floor.

Player-Bob Owen Custom
Breaker-N.E. O'Barqueue
Case-Rusty Melton 1x2

Old
  (#9)
FeelDaShot
AzB Silver Member

11-13-2019, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyco View Post
Level the floor.
Huh? The floor is level in the new basement. Well, as level as a typical floor, not as level as a pool table surface.

Old
  (#10)
logical
sarcasm while you wait
logical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond repute

11-13-2019, 11:29 AM

Alter the gravity orientation.

As far as adjusting if the floor decides to move on you down the road. Jack one end of the table up at a time with a floor jack acting on the underside of the frame, tweak your shim stacks and let it down easy.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited by logical; 11-13-2019 at 12:09 PM.

Old
  (#11)
FeelDaShot
AzB Silver Member

11-13-2019, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logical View Post
Alter the gravity orientation.

As far as adjusting if the floor decides to move on you down the road. Jack on end of the table up at a time with a floor jack acting on the underside of the frame, tweak your shim stacks and let it down easy.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Thanks, this is specifically what I was looking for.

For those of you with home tables: How often do you have to do this to keep the table level?

Old
  (#12)
logical
sarcasm while you wait

11-13-2019, 12:05 PM

Quote:

For those of you with home tables: How often do you have to do this to keep the table level?
Never...or at least haven't had to so far, and mine is in a basement.

My house is 13 years old and the floor definitely moved early on but it seemed to stop moving after a few years and long before I finished the space.

Old
  (#13)
Mick
AzB Silver Member
Mick has a reputation beyond reputeMick has a reputation beyond reputeMick has a reputation beyond reputeMick has a reputation beyond reputeMick has a reputation beyond reputeMick has a reputation beyond reputeMick has a reputation beyond reputeMick has a reputation beyond reputeMick has a reputation beyond reputeMick has a reputation beyond reputeMick has a reputation beyond repute

11-13-2019, 12:13 PM

You could always make up a custom set of leg levellers that don't raise the table so much. Something that lifts from the side of the leg maybe.

Old
  (#14)
Banger
AzB Silver Member
Banger has a reputation beyond reputeBanger has a reputation beyond reputeBanger has a reputation beyond reputeBanger has a reputation beyond reputeBanger has a reputation beyond reputeBanger has a reputation beyond reputeBanger has a reputation beyond reputeBanger has a reputation beyond reputeBanger has a reputation beyond reputeBanger has a reputation beyond reputeBanger has a reputation beyond repute

11-13-2019, 12:31 PM

Quote:

I had "furniture style" table in my carpeted, upstairs game room, for about 12 years. The only time the shims under the legs got adjusted, was when the table got new cloth.

"It's true hard work never killed anybody, but I figure, why take the chance?" -- Ronald Reagan

Old
  (#15)
FeelDaShot
AzB Silver Member

11-13-2019, 01:03 PM

Thanks everyone. I'll remove the levelers and see what happens. Hopefully it holds it's level.

Page 1 of 3 1 23

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: