Shaft care question

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bob Runde sent me a shaft to fit my Schon
it felt so smooth and slick it made me aware of the
rougher condition my own shaft had become
through my own play and negligence?

How do you keep your shafts slick without sanding them down?

Dave-Kat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I usually just wipe after usage and burnish for a very slick finish. If I get a new used cue I will clean use 600 - seal with 'Unique shaft sealer' 600, 1500, 2000, 2500, final w/mico paper then burnish for a very fresh smooth, slick finish.

Never been a proponent of waxing shafts. However, I just got a jar of 'Renaissance' museum wax for my Cues butts and other items and thought what the heck.

I applied a very thin coat on already slick surface let dry, buffed and I cannot believe this product. Never thought I could get a better finish than what I had been doing for years. I will use it on my knives, guns, art etc as it's safe on everything, protects and leaves no residue.

Happy and safe Thanksgiving week to all,

-Kat,

hurricane145

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't let it hit the edge of the table and get dents or nicks in it.
Clean it off once in a while! Maybe often!
Don't use sandpaper at ALL.
Don't use hand chalk. Wash your hands instead. They can get pretty grubby in a pool hall or tavern from the felt if it is not kept clean very well. Sometimes it isn't the shaft!
If you have a couple dents we used to dampen a rag or piece of towel, wrap it around the shaft and steam the dent out with a hot iron. It works very well.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If its dirty i clean it with a MagicEraser then burnish with a piece of heavy brown sack paper.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After EACH time you use a shaft, first use a kleenex to clean off the chalk from the tip as completely as possible. Next reshape and/or burnish the tip as you need that day. Then you take a 4 inch square clean soft cotton cloth light saturated with 91% isopropyl rubbing alcohol and wipe down the shaft ( not touching the shaft joint collar or the leather tip areas. Let shaft dry for 30 seconds. Now burnish the shaft with a second clean soft cotton cloth or microfiber cloth. do this every single time you finish playing with a shaft.

Periodically have a custom cue repair person professionally do a shaft recondition, because even the process stated above or any other stated in this thread will not by itself, keep a shaft as conditioned as what you first described over long periods of time and use.

knicks

Registered
I have good results using paper towel dampened with isopropyl alcohol to clean shaft. Wax with Q WAX
q-wax
Buff......finish with CUE SILK
cue-silk-2oz
Buff..... Great Products ....smooth....lasts for weeks..... For deep clean I use original magic eraser dampened with isopropyl alcohol to clean..... I do not use water to clean shaft

Last edited:

speedy5963

speedy5963
Silver Member
There are a number of decent products out there to clean and smooth up a shaft, you can use fine grit papers which will take off or smooth out the surface without taking down the shaft. Burnishing is always good too.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have had a bunch of kind offers some even offered to clean my shafts at no cost

I must confess,I never paid attention to it
never noticed it until i tried that new Runde compared to the shape my old shaft was in

you would expect a player like myself to be overly concerned with keeping his
personal shaft clean and new

But it never crosses my mind when I am playing

Thanks for the help
Dean

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member
Ernie (Gina Cues ) told me to use baby powder with lanolin on his cues.

Mike Johnson ( Jensen Cues ) told me that many of the pros that use his cues will get the dirt from his yard and rub the shafts with it.

I found keeping my hands clean and then wiping the shafts after each turn with a micro fiber cloth helps

🎱

jackpot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What are you talking about

Just keep sending them to me and I will get them perfect as always. What everyone
has told you will be of no help. After you play with them even for a short time they
feel like you dragged them home behind your car, So don't even try to fix them
you will only make them worse.
jack

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Stop using them to swat flies.

Ha, on a serious note, try Mike Gulyassy's Shaft Freeze. It will force you to keep sandpaper away. ;) Super Smooth year after year.

http://www.gulyassycues.com/gulyassy-cue-services/

contact Mike Gulyassy here:

http://www.gulyassycues.com/contact-mike-gulyassy/

It says on his site that sandpaper has to be used before the Shaft Freeze so it sticks.

Shaft Freeze comes as a slight yellow color. Shaft Freeze recoats are $30.00 plus shipping

Shaft Freeze for New & Used shafts: (Can be coated but all chalk and dirt must be sanded off for the Shaft freeze to adhere) – $75.00

fyi,

Jeff Livingston

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have good results using paper towel dampened with isopropyl alcohol to clean shaft. Wax with Q WAX
q-wax
Buff......finish with CUE SILK
cue-silk-2oz
Buff..... Great Products ....smooth....lasts for weeks..... For deep clean I use original magic eraser dampened with isopropyl alcohol to clean..... I do not use water to clean shaft

Back when I played with wooden shafts I did the same minus the wax ;)

FeelDaShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most people probably won't agree with this post but I think shafts play best when you stop messing with them and just play. Sure, they'll change color but they'll be nice and smooth once the chalk and grit seals the grains of the wood.

A few times per year the shaft will get sticky or look really dirty and I'll use 90% isopropenyl alcohol to clean. Other than that I leave it alone. Immediately after cleaning it never feels quite right though.

If you're worried about the shaft looking clean for resale value then that's a whole different story and the above techniques will help but they'll drive you nuts with the constant attention required.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Howya been doin" lof late Dean? You know how fussy I can be about cues. Why don't you
think about sending me one of your pool cue shafts and pick one in need that you'd like to
have restored to a satin smooth finish that literally glides through your bridge fingers. After
I return the shaft to you, I'm confident you'll not only be amazed but eager to learn how too.
Every shaft in my cue case (6 cues &12 shafts) is absolutely flawless & I can do this for you.
Just something to mull over on a rainy day & just to be clear, my offer is limited to only Dean.

Matt B.

poolcards

Registered
I wash my hands before playing to help keep the shaft smooth, after or during a match I use a worn out scotch brite pad to help keep it clean and smooth.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wash my hands before playing to help keep the shaft smooth, after or during a match I use a worn out scotch brite pad to help keep it clean and smooth.
Even a won-out SB pad will make shaft smaller. I never use that stuff. Too many other, non-destructive, ways to maintain a shaft. Just my $.02 worth.