which players got/get the most out of a compact stroke?

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Players that have a fast style of play or short bio-rythmn and proceed very quickly to the next shot.
Any individual’s pace of play has a lot to with it & a compact stroke fits in with type of player profile.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
our right hand simply draws back and returns EXACTLY where it started from!

I prefer the long, flowy stuff
but I'm curious
who shoots good
and gets good purchase
out of minimal movement?

morro comes to mind..lee van is the man
to a lesser (or more of an) extent, alex-
I think he's got a good in-between thing

who ya got?

Alex has the greatest compact stroke of the modern era. The key is the wrist release, if you do that correctly you don't need a long backswing.

Your right hand simply draws back and returns EXACTLY where it started from and the POP (similar to a whip) allows you to move the cueball effortlessly.

Most players follow through too far, 3-4 inches is plenty for most shots, watch Shane V. and Sky W to see how it's done expertly.

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry but what is a compact stroke, I know that Allen Hopkins is a punch stroke, is it the same as compact? I kind of ask because I want to know what type of stroke am I, how can I know if I'm compact, or something else? and what are the other options other than compact?

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Alex has the greatest compact stroke of the modern era. The key is the wrist release, if you do that correctly you don't need a long backswing.

Your right hand simply draws back and returns EXACTLY where it started from and the POP (similar to a whip) allows you to move the cueball effortlessly.

Most players follow through too far, 3-4 inches is plenty for most shots, watch Shane V. and Sky W to see how it's done expertly.

You have a pretty compact stroke yourself.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Sorry but what is a compact stroke, I know that Allen Hopkins is a punch stroke, is it the same as compact? I kind of ask because I want to know what type of stroke am I, how can I know if I'm compact, or something else? and what are the other options other than compact?

No long back swing or follow through.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's because it looks like he's having fun every time he makes a ball. :thumbup:

I was going to make an analogy that he is like a puppy at a table filled with food and just jumps and runs around the table LOL But yes that guy is one happy man, very positive and nice. I don't think I've seen him when he was not smiling and laughing with people, even his interviews sound like he is talking through a smile. Hope he gets well.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member

Good question...just my opinion, and I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong. I'd call Shane's stroke compact, with a short follow through. This because he doesn't have elbow drop.