The great debate; what do YOU prefer for a break-cue, ultra lite or ultra heavy?

tjlmbklr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First off, I'm back! I took a few year sabbatical and sold everything I had. I will never be the dedicated player I was 5-10 years ago, but I am getting the itch and have been subbing for leagues and decided to purchase a cue. Next will be a break cue.

So with that said, most seem to think a really heavy cue is needed for a good strong break. But most don't know top players and most pros use a very lite cue. it's the same reason a jump cue is so short, it has to be very lite weight to be able to swing faster. However, a heavy cue to break with gives you more strength behind your break with less control needed since let's face it, when you're really trying to smash the rack it's easy to get good control.
So what do you prefer, light (15oz +/-) or heavy (21oz or more)?

Thanks.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Light= more speed.
At least for me.
I have a phone app and have tried both heavy and light break cues.
I get more MPH with a light cue.

Lesh

One Hole Thinkifier
Silver Member
Light break stick with lots of practice to control it... the key is to just relax and trust your rhythm. Speed is always preferable where performance is desired. Slow and steady is desirable if you want consistency in my experience.

I like the speed.

Lesh

tjlmbklr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Light break stick with lots of practice to control it... the key is to just relax and trust your rhythm. Speed is always preferable where performance is desired. Slow and steady is desirable if you want consistency in my experience.

I like the speed.

Lesh

This is why I am torn. Being that I will never have the dedication I did years ago, I am thinking of just going heavy to maintain control since I will never have the table time I did in years past to practice accuracy with a light cue.

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have always like a heavier break cue until recently. I bought a OB Rift break cue and it's much lighter then my playing Cue. My playing Cue is 19.75 and my new break cue is 18.50. I actually seem to be breaking much better now with the lighter cue. I think it's just I can accelerate the cue much easier than the heavier break cues that I once had.

I don't think I will ever go back to a heavier break cue.

tjlmbklr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a 19 oz BK3, works great.... I like this Break Cue.

What makes a Predator BK better than the rest? I know their shafts for their playing cues are not recommended for breaking since the have less material on the ends and break apart easily, but what about their break cues. Are they thicker (13mm+), do they still claim to be low deflection?

Lesh

One Hole Thinkifier
Silver Member
This is why I am torn. Being that I will never have the dedication I did years ago, I am thinking of just going heavy to maintain control since I will never have the table time I did in years past to practice accuracy with a light cue.

Yeah yer screwed bro... table time is the air your game breathes.
Get a 42 oz break cue and a rubber helmet and be well.

Lesh

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First off, I'm back! I took a few year sabbatical and sold everything I had. I will never be the dedicated player I was 5-10 years ago, but I am getting the itch and have been subbing for leagues and decided to purchase a cue. Next will be a break cue.

So with that said, most seem to think a really heavy cue is needed for a good strong break. But most don't know top players and most pros use a very lite cue. it's the same reason a jump cue is so short, it has to be very lite weight to be able to swing faster. However, a heavy cue to break with gives you more strength behind your break with less control needed since let's face it, when you're really trying to smash the rack it's easy to get good control.
So what do you prefer, light (15oz +/-) or heavy (21oz or more)?

Thanks.

I prefer 21 to 22.
Love how you don't have to swing your arm at subsonic speed to get a good break.
It just goes through the balls with zero effort and it's very easy to control the cue ball.
FYI: my play cue is 20.5.

Last edited:

tjlmbklr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I prefer 21 to 22.
Love how you don't have to swing your arm at subsonic speed to get a good break.
It just goes through the balls with zero effort and it's very easy to control the cue ball.
FYI: my play cue is 20.5.

Thanks. I am leaning to a heavier break cue for this reason but am still weighing my options.