The great debate; what do YOU prefer for a break-cue, ultra lite or ultra heavy?

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks. I am leaning to a heavier break cue for this reason but am still weighing my options.

When I was testing this I got two Players cues.
One 18 oz and one 21 oz.
Broke like crazy for about a month or so alternating the cues.
Turned out that FOR ME I consistently got better breaks with the heavier cue.
And it was much easier - yes, for me - to control the cue ball. Just give it a medium good swing, vs the super fast, and the rack just explodes.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Light= more speed.
At least for me.
I have a phone app and have tried both heavy and light break cues.
I get more MPH with a light cue.

makes sense,faster with a lighter cue, than with a heavy one
but if you could move that heavy one faster, harder break i belive

i see this huge person break the shit out of a 8 ball rack, not with his technique, because its lacking big, but hes just a huge person,

if he learned how to control himself better, yikes

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like mine a little lighter. I think too extreme in either way is unnecessary. My playing cue is 19.3 and my break is 18.9.

Baron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've tried both and feel like I have trouble getting off the starting blocks with a heavier cue. Lighter has always been better for me as far as breaking goes. My breaker is maybe 18oz, give or take.

tjlmbklr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recently picked up a 23+ oz. Jacoby Heavy Hitter and love it.

Is it designed just for breaking or is it just a heavy cue with a hard tip? My first dedicated 'Break' cue had a stiffer larger diameter shaft.

tjlmbklr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I was testing this I got two Players cues.
One 18 oz and one 21 oz.
Broke like crazy for about a month or so alternating the cues.
Turned out that FOR ME I consistently got better breaks with the heavier cue.
And it was much easier - yes, for me - to control the cue ball. Just give it a medium good swing, vs the super fast, and the rack just explodes.

This is the way I am leaning too, heavy for more control.

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use to think that too. But I will tell you that a decent priced break cue with the shaft you are seeking. You might want to look at a PureX. I had one that was 23 oz. You should give one a try.

ShaunTanYK

Custom Junkie
Silver Member
In my honest opinion, a lighter break cue is more superior than a heavier one. However, it really depends a lot on how you like to break. Personally, I feel that timing and rhythm is key to the break. A lighter cue will allow me to generate more cue tip speed.

tjlmbklr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use to think that too. But I will tell you that a decent priced break cue with the shaft you are seeking. You might want to look at a PureX. I had one that was 23 oz. You should give one a try.

Are you referring to THIS one? Looks like the heaviest they have for it is 21 oz.

tjlmbklr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Check out Jacobys web site...Specs for Heavy Hitter can be found there.

I did. Looks like $290. May be a while before the wife approves another cue. But I am definitely getting amped to get another shooting/breaking pair to have. Oh, guess I'll need a new case too. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a 21 ounce BK3. I get good results. I'm not sure if I can get 22mph even with a lighter cue so I chose to use the hammer.

First off, I'm back! I took a few year sabbatical and sold everything I had. I will never be the dedicated player I was 5-10 years ago, but I am getting the itch and have been subbing for leagues and decided to purchase a cue. Next will be a break cue.

So with that said, most seem to think a really heavy cue is needed for a good strong break. But most don't know top players and most pros use a very lite cue. it's the same reason a jump cue is so short, it has to be very lite weight to be able to swing faster. However, a heavy cue to break with gives you more strength behind your break with less control needed since let's face it, when you're really trying to smash the rack it's easy to get good control.
So what do you prefer, light (15oz +/-) or heavy (21oz or more)?

Thanks.

My opinion is neither too light, nor too heavy. I always broke with the same weight cue that I played with (a weight that was personally comfortable for me). I used to like a really light cue (at around 18 oz, when I was a kid), but over the years, I felt more comfortable with a little heavier cue, at around 20 oz (but not over 20 oz). I think it is just a case by case thing. Some players might think that 21 oz is very light. In my case, I never liked my break cue to be too light, or too heavy. I got the most power from my breaks by using a cue that felt the most comfortable (a comfortable weight for me). In my case, usually around 19oz.

tjlmbklr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My opinion is neither too light, nor too heavy. I always broke with the same weight cue that I played with (a weight that was personally comfortable for me). I used to like a really light cue (at around 18 oz, when I was a kid), but over the years, I felt more comfortable with a little heavier cue, at around 20 oz (but not over 20 oz). I think it is just a case by case thing. Some players might think that 21 oz is very light. In my case, I never liked my break cue to be too light, or too heavy. I got the most power from my breaks by using a cue that felt the most comfortable (a comfortable weight for me). In my case, usually around 19oz.

I'm the same way, I recently ordered a cue that is 19oz but I know it is an easy upgrade to change the weight bolt. This is the one reason I didn't like playing with LD shafts, they were lighter on the tip end or butt weighted. I like a little more forward weighted myself I feel it gives me more control. For this reason I think I would like a slightly heavier breaking cue, but I am not sure, my last one was a 18oz but it had a 13.5mm shaft that made it nice and rigid.

jburkm002

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My wife breaks better than I do. However out of the different dedicated break cues I have tried. The Jacoby Edge was by far the best. Maybe a little to powerful, if thats possible.