Ferrule tennon threads

sharkster

ADD Oh look a chicken
Silver Member
Question... If you use wax on the tennon to cut threads with a compression die, won't the wax interfere with the epoxy bond? I have not used any lubricant because of this reason, but I it makes me nervous threading tennons (have not twisted one off yet). But the threads are even more sketchy than using lubricant. I have tested using wax on a spare shaft.
I know live tooling is best but I am still saving up for that.
Cleaning the wax off introduces another chemical, what are you guys doing that is proven.
Thanks
Steve

hangemhigh

Known Sinner
Silver Member
Question... If you use wax on the tennon to cut threads with a compression die, won't the wax interfere with the epoxy bond? I have not used any lubricant because of this reason, but I it makes me nervous threading tennons (have not twisted one off yet). But the threads are even more sketchy than using lubricant. I have tested using wax on a spare shaft.
Cleaning the wax off introduces another chemical, what are you guys doing that is proven.
Thanks
Steve

Steve, sorry I can't answer your question, but I can offer you this advice. Get to live threading asap. You will be so glad you made the move.

GBCues

Damn, still .002 TIR!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks
Steve

A while back I expressed the same concern and was advised "Just try it and see". So I did. There is NO problem with the wax interferring with the bond and the threads come out so much cleaner.

Just try it!!! LOL :smile:

Gary

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I was negative when I saw this being done at first. Then after twisting a few tenons off, from the die freezing up on the tenon, I started using a little cue wax on it. I have had zero glue failures in the dozen or so years I have been using the wax.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks
Steve

The real trick is to use several dies different sizes. These dies are very easy to make and you just start with the biggest one and work you way to the most correct size.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Make sure the tenon is at .282' max. except for the shoulder.
Coat it thin CA.
Wax then thread.

Varney Cues

Handcrafted quality!
Silver Member
Another little tip is after the threads are cut...hold a papertowel on the tenon while it spins. The slight heat will transfer a lot of the parafin to the paper.:wink:
Like Chris says...I too have had zero failures.

DanO

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like to stop about 1/16" shy of the shoulder, come in with a box cutter and scrape any wax off the end of the die, then finish the thread to the shoulder. That way I'm not mashing any wax into the shoulder.

Bob A

Registered
I turn the tenon down with the lathe then using the Unique tool to size the tenon. Using the Unique with the lathe running smoothing and heating the tenon, which makes the tenon harder. Then going to Chris's brass tenon threader, spining the lathe by hand, then back off, spin, back off, spin, back off, so on. Do use a little wax, ends up with a very good thread. Started using white gorilla glue after replacing a ferrule with a G10 for breaking. A pain to dig the epoxy out of the threads.

cuetipper

Registered
If you are using an activated two part glue such as epoxy the curing process's by product is heat. The small amount of wax left behind is absorbed into the epoxy and will soften the overall compound slightly. As you do not want a brittle epoxy this actually works in your favor.

But do not use anything that is OIL based.
Lubricants will be absorbed into the wood and keep glues even Epoxy from bonding.

Some soaps will serve the same purpose if it is pure - i have used IVORY SOAP in a pinch an it worked well to.

Cue Crazy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've never had one come loose as long as the threads were clean. I've done them with CA and without, with wax and without. I prefer using the wax because It makes threading much easier, they come out cleaner, and It reduces the risk of snapping a tenon. I usually spread some wax on the tenon from one little cheap white tea candles, and then polish It off with a paper towel before threading. The other day I was doing a few ferrules, misplaced My tea candle, saw that I had a tube of white bow string wax there in one of My parts drawers,so I figured what the heck, and tried It out. It actually seemed to work better then the tea candles.

Yeah I guess there is some wax residue left over, but with the mechanical bond being what It is, It does not seem to rely as much on the chemical bond. I too was skeptical when I first used It, but I have installed more then I can count, and have yet to have one come loose regardless of whether I used epoxy or just simply used Titebond. The threads don't tend to come out as deep as with live tooling, but just the same I'd probably snap the shaft before stripping the threads out that I get with the compression die, so It's good enough to get the job done.

sharkster

ADD Oh look a chicken
Silver Member
Many Thanks

What a great bit of suggestions. I feel much better knowing there are years of results without implications.
Joey, I'll use the super glue suggestion. I had one of the well duh moments upon reading your thread. Never even thought about that approach. Thanks!