Early Adam Corsair

Raptor60

Registered
I was given this cue by a friend who purchased it in the 60s or 70s. I believe it is an Adam Corsair. Used for a few years and stored for 40 years or so. Original wrap, a few minor dings but truly remarkable condition. Any more information would be great. Not sure what it may be worth but I thought I should insure it if I plan to keep it, or sell it if the price is right.
s1ZBSXk.jpg

fShcpw0.jpg

5QRMlPM.jpg

Last edited:

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You have the Galaxie model Adam Cue- very similar to the Corsair - but for the silver railroad track rings and usually a leather wrap as shown; probably mid to late 70s. A very desired design and a rare find indeed! One of their top of the line models in the 70s to early 80s.

If this is as good in person as it looks here, value for an actual sale in a current ten day period, would estimate to be $800 to $1200; possibly more in an auction setting if multiple serious Adam collectors were in the bidding. It looks like a gem, and with the case, if original to the cue , you may get a bonus.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
You have the Galaxie model Adam Cue- very similar to the Corsair - but for the silver railroad track rings and usually a leather wrap as shown; probably mid to late 70s. A very desired design and a rare find indeed! One of their top of the line models in the 70s to early 80s.

If this is as good in person as it looks here, value for an actual sale in a current ten day period, would estimate to be $800 to $1200; possibly more in an auction setting if multiple serious Adam collectors were in the bidding. It looks like a gem, and with the case, if original to the cue , you may get a bonus.

Er, what?

The Japan/Taiwan cues don't go for a fortune. With the case and a second non-original shaft, I'd be optimistic for $600, but would list it on eBay for 7 days with a 99-cent starting bid and accept my fate (if I wanted to sell it).

Last edited:

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Er, what?

The Japan/Taiwan cues don't go for a fortune. With the case and a second non-original shaft, I'd be optimistic for $600, but would list it on eBay for 7 days with a 99-cent starting bid and accept my fate (if I wanted to sell it).

This is no ordinary Adam- it is a rare to find model- one their top of the lines in the 70s, has two shafts, a period case- all look to be in superb condition- a very desired design to say the least - in the mode of slotted diamonds, Bushka inspired, If the specs are right in terms of 90% + on butt finish , relatively straight and unblemished full 12.5 to 13mm shafts, cue weight between 18.5 and 200z for playability, etc. etc. I see this as a premium in the Adam cue line - If he wants $600 for the package- please PM me and you can have the $$ tomorrow after a brief discussion to verify condition.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The alternating six points on the cue and the rosewood butt sleeve area also denote this as a Galaxie model Adam

BankT8Ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very nice Adam cue.
One of my favorite Adams cue with the Bushka style diamonds.
Reminds me of the elderly couple that played in the league.
They had similar ones. Couple played with them since new.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
This is no ordinary Adam- it is a rare to find model- one their top of the lines in the 70s, has two shafts, a period case- all look to be in superb condition- a very desired design to say the least - in the mode of slotted diamonds, Bushka inspired, If the specs are right in terms of 90% + on butt finish , relatively straight and unblemished full 12.5 to 13mm shafts, cue weight between 18.5 and 200z for playability, etc. etc. I see this as a premium in the Adam cue line - If he wants $600 for the package- please PM me and you can have the $$ tomorrow after a brief discussion to verify condition.

I have several "rare to find" models of cues.

rare != valuable

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Maybe there were some exceptions, but I believe the Galaxie had some colors in the veneers, while this one has the maple that the Corsair had.

All the best,
WW

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe there were some exceptions, but I believe the Galaxie had some colors in the veneers, while this one has the maple that the Corsair had.

All the best,
WW

Well, I think that the final determining factor as to what Adam model we are viewing is the number of LONG points- The Corsair had four long points and the Galaxie had three long points.

It would be nice if the OP could let us know out of curiosity.

Last edited:

Raptor60

Registered
Well, I think that the final determining factor as to what Adam model we are viewing is the number of LONG points- The Corsair had four long points and the Galaxie had three long points.

It would be nice if the OP could let us know out of curiosity.

It has 4 long points and 4 short points and both shafts are original to the best of my knowledge. Guess that would make it a Corsair and not a Galaxy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
E-bay is a no go, you undoubtedly need an Adam's collector.

I'm not a collector nor am I one to know up from down with prices, but I have Adam's in my "respectable sticks" watch filter on e-bay and all the Adam's cues going for $500+ are never selling. There's some for a $1000+ but they ship from Japan and with the currency exchange rate and Japanese pride/ego factor it's hard telling what they are worth but, they too are listed over and over again.

Honestly, I just scrolled through my alerts and it doesn't appear that even $300 Adam's are selling. Sooooo... I hope you can find an avid collector because e-bay won't help you get any where near $1000 ($600 would be the dream).

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes the 4 long points make it a Corsair. I think the reason someone questioned the second shaft as being original is that the dash rings on one shaft appear to be a different color than the cue- one shaft looks like it has white dash rings and the other appears to match the maple dashes on the cue butt. that would be a sign of a shaft being made after the original cue purchase.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I'm not a collector nor am I one to know up from down with prices, but I have Adam's in my "respectable sticks" watch filter on e-bay and all the Adam's cues going for $500+ are never selling. There's some for a $1000+ but they ship from Japan and with the currency exchange rate and Japanese pride/ego factor it's hard telling what they are worth but, they too are listed over and over again.

Honestly, I just scrolled through my alerts and it doesn't appear that even $300 Adam's are selling. Sooooo... I hope you can find an avid collector because e-bay won't help you get any where near $1000 ($600 would be the dream).

I sent you a private Message, contact me and I can help send you to dreamland on this cue without 10% E bay fees!

Raptor60

Registered

I don't need to sell the cue at all. I think the craftsmanship is underrated because it came from Japan back when that was a bad thing, just like made in China is now. The cue is remarkable and I am happy to have it and keep it. Thanks for your input.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I don't need to sell the cue at all. I think the craftsmanship is underrated because it came from Japan back when that was a bad thing, just like made in China is now. The cue is remarkable and I am happy to have it and keep it. Thanks for your input.

Here's a page from the August 1977 catalog. I also have it as a Corsair. This design was discontinued shortly after that. Also, here's a page from the same catalog that shows what appears to be your case. There were two cases, a vinyl and a leather. Does the case have the Lion stamped logo?

I would put the value at between $800 and $1000 for the cue with two shafts, assuming it's pretty straight and the case at $200 - $250 if it's leather. The old original line Adam cues do have somewhat of a collectible following. The quality is good. The reason why the values aren't higher is because they were production cues and there were a lot made. Even then this was somewhat a retro 60's design. If you have homeowner's insurance the cue is probably already covered.

Attachments

• Adam Corsair catalog.jpg
    Adam Corsair catalog.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 218
  • Adam Cases.jpg
    Adam Cases.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 225
Last edited:
Er, what?

I had a super nice, top of the line Adam, from the late 70's. Was only able to get $300 for it, a few years ago.

Paid $450 for it, on an auction, but it came with a Pre Cat Predator shaft, which I sold for $150. So, in the end, I was able to get my money back out of it.

The cue is from Japan, not Taiwan. Adam cues were make by Miki, who now makes Mezz cues, in Japan.

Anyways, that cue would probably not sell for more then $500 at auction though, sadly.

Love these old Adam cues, and I think they should be worth more money, because they are seemingly pretty rare, and rarely come up for sale.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Here's a page from the August 1977 catalog. I also have it as a Corsair. This design was discontinued shortly after that. Also, here's a page from the same catalog that shows what appears to be your case. There were two cases, a vinyl and a leather. Does the case have the Lion stamped logo?

I would put the value at between $800 and $1000 for the cue with two shafts, assuming it's pretty straight and the case at $200 - $250 if it's leather. The old original line Adam cues do have somewhat of a collectible following. The quality is good. The reason why the values aren't higher is because they were production cues and there were a lot made. Even then this was somewhat a retro 60's design. If you have homeowner's insurance the cue is probably already covered.

It has a shaft from a Galaxie and a Corsair, check out the rings

Thunder Thighs

I'm your Huckleberry
Silver Member
I wish ADAM Japan was still making these style cues. I’m not a big fan of their current Musashi line.