9 Ball Rule question

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
In traditional 9 ball pool tournaments around the U.S., what penalty is assigned to the player who purposefully picks up a cue ball before it stops rolling (to keep it from hitting other balls)?

If you say, ball in hand, then that rule doesn't penalize the player enough.

An instance happened recently where I was playing a match and my opponent missed hitting the intended object ball and then picked up the cue ball before it could collide with another ball that it could have hit and moved it to a better place for me to pocket it (at a later date).

What happens when your opponent shoots the shot and misses the object ball and the cue ball goes around the table and might hit two other object balls that are tied up, but your opponent grabs the cue ball before it can hit the 2 balls tied up?

Personally, I think it should be loss of game. Any other thoughts? What is the rule governing this?

JoeyA

RoadHustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
sportsmanship

In my opinion:
Sportsmanship violation in addition to a foul. One warning, another sportsmanship even unrelated issue disqualification. TD's paying attention and consistently enforcing rules will make even bad guys tolerable.

JoeyA

Silver Member
In my opinion:
Sportsmanship violation in addition to a foul. One warning, another sportsmanship even unrelated issue disqualification. TD's paying attention and consistently enforcing rules will make even bad guys tolerable.

Thanks for your opinion. It kind of makes sense except:

If this situation happens in the finals of an event, a foul and a warning wouldn't be enough of a penalty, imo.

Now, I am thinking, what's the difference if it the finals of an event or the first match of an event? It shouldn't make any difference when a player commits an unsportsmanlike conduct.

JoeyA

tucson9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In traditional 9 ball pool tournaments around the U.S., what penalty is assigned to the player who purposefully picks up a cue ball before it stops rolling (to keep it from hitting other balls)?

If you say, ball in hand, then that rule doesn't penalize the player enough.

An instance happened recently where I was playing a match and my opponent missed hitting the intended object ball and then picked up the cue ball before it could collide with another ball that it could have hit and moved it to a better place for me to pocket it (at a later date).

What happens when your opponent shoots the shot and misses the object ball and the cue ball goes around the table and might hit two other object balls that are tied up, but your opponent grabs the cue ball before it can hit the 2 balls tied up?

Personally, I think it should be loss of game. Any other thoughts? What is the rule governing this?

JoeyA

Joey,

Unfortunately it is just BIH. If it's in a big tourney and you can call a ref over to your table, he will jst give you BIH. The ref should question the shooter about whether the ball was still rolling, this could possibly put him on notice as a sportsmanship violation. But that would only come into play if he does it again.
It sucks but the only thing you are going to get is BIH.

JoeyA

Silver Member
Thanks for your opinion. It kind of makes sense except:

If this situation happens in the finals of an event, a foul and a warning wouldn't be enough of a penalty, imo.

Now, I am thinking, what's the difference if it the finals of an event or the first match of an event? It shouldn't make any difference when a player commits an unsportsmanlike conduct.

JoeyA

(UPDATE: My opponent already missed hitting the intended object ball and knew he was going to be penalized and automatically give me cue ball in hand.)

mvp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have you ever called unsportsmanlike foul on anyone???? Personally I never have seen it called on anyone....Other than a REAL tournament like a pro event or national amateur event refs are not easily available to govern the match. You could always ask the tournament directly for a ruling before accepting ball in hand but I'm highly doubtful anything would change! He gets warning you still have ball in hand, what does this accomplish???? If this was league play it's even worse lol, take ball in hand and move on. I would definitely tell the guy it was a dick move but I wouldn't sweat it unless high stakes were involved.

Last edited:

RoadHustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yea your definitely right about that. Also I kinda feel that the rules don't get nearly enough respect because long term there are no real repercussions. A guy can be a jerk for decades and folks just put up with it.

poolnoob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mika did it against SVB in a tournament match. SVB was awarded BIH.

Sent from my Redmi Pro using Tapatalk

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
a good ref in this particular instance should move the balls it would have hit to the advantage of the other player.

same as if a person accidentally moves a few balls, then you let the other player replace them as best as he see fit.
never ever should the offending player get an advantage with a move.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Intentionally altering the positions of the balls in play other than by a shot is unsportsmanlike conduct.

The penalties for unsportsmanlike conduct -- even the first offense -- are determined by the official but can include expulsion from the event and forfeiture of all winnings and ranking points. Additionally, if it's a WPA-sanctioned event, the player may be subject to additional fines.

On the other hand, some unsportsmanlike conduct might be penalized by a warning.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
a good ref in this particular instance should move the balls it would have hit to the advantage of the other player. ...
I think there is no need to get into the little details of the shot and what might have been. I would have awarded the game to the non-fouler and warned the fouler that he would lose the match if he intentionally touched a moving ball again.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Although not the same situation this reminds me of a few years ago I was playing a kid in a bar 8 ball for 20.00....bar rules of course so there are no fouls or unsportsmanship rules.

He made a shot then "accidently " dragged his cue sideways breaking one of his balls out of a cluster. I gave him a stern look but did not say anything. He just grinned. A few shots later he missed and then outright deliberately stopped the cue ball with his cue making it a hard shot on my last ball.

I walked up to him and said ...you are mighty careless with that cue. One more incident and I just might get careless with a cue myself and smack it up side your head.

Needless to say his grin disappeared mighty quick like and he never got careless with his cue again.

Too bad you can't put fear like that in your opponent foe pulling crappy moves in a tournament.

Ekojasiloop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think there is no need to get into the little details of the shot and what might have been. I would have awarded the game to the non-fouler and warned the fouler that he would lose the match if he intentionally touched a moving ball again.

I agree. I think that's about as fair a stance as there is in this scenario.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Normally this would result in BIH. If it happens on the nine ball and the cue ball was heading toward a pocket it could be ruled loss of game. Finally if it is determined that deliberately stopping the cue ball affected the lay of the balls (possibly breaking up a cluster) and the outcome of the game it could be ruled loss of game.

There will always be situations not covered by the rules and it's at times like this that a good referee/official will make a judgement call in the interest of fair play. I've done it several times over the years. On one occasion the tournament promoter decided to get involved in a controversy and ended up moving several balls in the process. Everyone looked on in astonishment and the players looked to me to restore the balls to their original position, which I could not do. My ruling was the game begins again with the same player breaking. Both players shrugged their shoulders and accepted the call.

On another occasion a player was down shooting at an easy nine ball, when he was bumped from behind and fouled the cue ball. I asked his opponent to restore the cue ball to its previous position as best he could. He complied and I let the player who was bumped shoot again. His opponent (and the audience) accepted my ruling. Thank God!

Last edited:

SakuJack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Normally this would result in BIH. If it happens on the nine ball and the cue ball was heading toward a pocket it could be ruled loss of game. Finally if it is determined that deliberately stopping the cue ball affected the lay of the balls (possibly breaking up a cluster) and the outcome of the game it could be ruled loss of game.

Why is this not always loss of game?

AF pool guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How about giving the offender 2 fouls. Then one good safety play and bobs your uncle 3 foul-loss.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mvp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bob, jay
You guys know probably more than anybody that real rulings are not easily had at amateur level pool, so realistically ball in hand is the only real repercussion to the foul.

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bob, jay
You guys know probably more than anybody that real rulings are not easily had at amateur level pool, so realistically ball in hand is the only real repercussion to the foul.

Joey, this has happened to me in tournaments as well. The guy played dumb (or maybe he wasn't playing...) and apologized. I would also like to see this be loss of game.