What the desired size in a shaft ? what is your prefernce.

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello ,

I was talking with a Cue maker who told me that you should never go below 12mm on a shaft , I personally like Meucci 11.65 and I have some that is 11.5 mm . But by preference for me I like a 12 mm on all of my shafts. 13mm just seems to big and 12 just suits me right . What size shaft do you like and what do you look for . Thanks

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll shoot with anything, 14mm down to 9.5mm, all bueno. I like 10-11mm conical tapers probably the most.

hurricane145

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I prefer staying close to 13 mm. I have a couple shafts that are 13.5 which is ok for a heavy oversize tavern cue ball but even then I prefer 13mm or a little less.
I once had a Huebler sneaky pete with a14 mm shaft. THAT was too big! Didn't keep that cue more than a couple weeks as I didn't like it much anyway.

Some shafts have had a real nice hit to them regardless of the shaft size I prefer so I will get used to the size pretty quick if that's the case.

Scratch85

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
FWIW, I like LD shafts around 12.7 and maple shafts around 12.2.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

JazzboxBlues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I typically like 13mm. I’ve shot with up to 13.25 and currently using a 12.8.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Last edited:

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
12mm maple. was using 11.75 and my stroke is too good and was getting too much action. currently using 12.3mm LD, have a backup at 12mm maple but I hate the taper on it, ill have it fixed eventually. thinking of going back to 13mm maple non LD for a few months and get back to basics. LD shafts ruined my game personally.

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for all the reply's Guy's . I have anywhere from 11.5 to 12 mm in my cues . I am a 12mm guy and I like the stroke I get with that size shaft. But most seem to come out with 13mm and I have to have my guy turn them down for me . But he gives me a really good deal so it is not to bad and they turn out awesome. It seems the skinny shafts are becoming the norm with all this low deflection talk .

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
12.5 - 12.7 & hollow front end.
But i shoot about as bad with anything.
We were out last night for event + dinner & ended up on 9' table without my stick along. Played better off the wall than recently with my own stick. It's worth changing up every now and then whatever your "normal" preference.

smt

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Hello ,

I was talking with a Cue maker who told me that you should never go below 12mm on a shaft , I personally like Meucci 11.65 and I have some that is 11.5 mm . But by preference for me I like a 12 mm on all of my shafts. 13mm just seems to big and 12 just suits me right . What size shaft do you like and what do you look for . Thanks

The taper matters more than the tip size.

I have gone over to the Dark Side. 12mm with a billiard conical taper. It is evil, stiff and I love it.

However, a 12mm with a long skinny pro taper is a flexible hot mess and anybody who plays with one deserves what happens to them.

agree with the cue maker if it's a 12mm