Cisero Murphy vs Jimmy Cattrano

BayGene

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is a very long shot, but was anybody else present at an exhibition match between Cisero Murphy and Jimmy Cattrano in 1964 or 1965. I have very vivid memories of the event, but I want to make sure my memory's not playing tricks with me.

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
This is a very long shot, but was anybody else present at an exhibition match between Cisero Murphy and Jimmy Cattrano in 1964 or 1965. I have very vivid memories of the event, but I want to make sure my memory's not playing tricks with me.

Most of us weren't born yet (except maybe Dennis Walsh and Dave Nelson). So, there's a good chance that Dennis could have this match on video.

:p

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Most of us weren't born yet (except maybe Dennis Walsh and Dave Nelson). So, there's a good chance that Dennis could have this match on video.

:p

I wasn't even i thought yet in my parents minds !!!

Although i would love to see the video !!

-Steve

BayGene

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My memory (defective as it may be).
I was back in my hometown of Hicksville, NY, which I vigorously ran away from when I was 17. I wasn't going to pass up a chance to see Cisero. One of my high school acquaintances came up to me and asked, "Who's the n*****, Gino?"
This is 1964; I'm living in the Village and way ahead of the social curve, etc. I'm so furious that I make the stupidest bet I ever made in my life, before or since. I bet the yahoo $20-Lyndon Johnson dollars- that Cattrano doesn't get to the table after the break. Even money.
Cisero wins the lag; Cattrano breaks; Cisero runs out and keeps it up until 225.
That's my Cisero story. My Photo Gallery - Cisero Murphy - Powered by PhotoPost.jpg

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Hicksville, who the heck lives in Hicksville....

Right down the road from the great house of lords where I play weekly lately !!!!

Steve

BayGene

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
House of Lords

...where I got my first Rich cue. This was not at the HoL but where Mid Island Shopping Center is now. There was also a room on Herzog Place, which is now a church.

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
Long Island

Long Island.... How I miss it....

There's no place like home...
There's no place like home.......

PoolSharkAllen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I googled these two players to see what the results would be. You might enjoy reading the articles from Ebony magazine on pp. 44-48 about Cisero Murphy.

On pp. 46, you can see a photo of Cicero accepting congratulations from Cattrano at the First U.S. Open Championship in Chicago (1966).

http://books.google.com/books?id=71...&resnum=2&ved=0CCEQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q&f=false

Last edited:

BayGene

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Billy Joel

Actually did not graduate from Hicksville High in 1967. He missed some Regents or something and actually didn't get his high school diploma from the school until the 90s. He did all right nevertheless, I understand.

Hicksville High, '63

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
Billy

Actually did not graduate from Hicksville High in 1967. He missed some Regents or something and actually didn't get his high school diploma from the school until the 90s. He did all right nevertheless, I understand.

Hicksville High, '63

1968, I remember seeing him in his first band when I was 17 in a small house out in the woods that was a bar in Smithtown. His band was called "The Hassles".

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member

Hicksville High, '63

Yeah, I knew that Billy Joel came up one credit short, but did attend Hicksville High for the full four years. Never knew he actually got his diploma in the end. Thanks for sharing.

His famous quote upon failing to qualify for his diploma, whith a slight parapharase, was "I'm going to Columbia Records, not Columbia University You don't need a diploma there!"

Yours truly, SJM, Roslyn High School '76

skibum

I was there for all 5 matches. There were 2, 3 cushion and 3 straight pool (150 point) matches. Jimmy took the 3 cushion and Murphy won the straight pool matches. But it was close. Straight pool was the last match and Murphy won 150 to 141. Jimmy missed an easy side pocket shot. Great matches!!!