The Billiard Industry Loses a Giant

Sam at TAP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is with a heavy heart that I must post on here that on New Years eve, TAP founder and CEO, Loyd Schonter passed away from a massive heart attack. Loyd started TAP back in 1989 with 30 players. He wasn't afraid to take on the big dogs and in essence became a big dog in the billiard industry while making TAP a powerhouse. Loyd was always for the player and he instilled that in all of his licensees. He was all about keeping up with the ever changing high tech world we live in today and incorporating that into TAP. A great example of this is the TAP score keeping app. that was recently unveiled. On a personal level, Loyd was like a brother to me. With his passing TAP will never be the same again. How can it be? But TAP will continue to carry on with his legacy and continue to grow on what Loyd dreamed and built. TAP corporate will be even stronger with a renewed commitment to see Loyd's dream thru and that is a league that's always for the player and built by a player. RIP Loyd and TAP ON!

franko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry

Sorry to hear about your and Pools loss. The Pool world really seems to be getting hit hard these past few years.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Never had the pleasure of meeting Lloyd, but his legacy is secure as TAP's founder. Condolences to all who knew him.

Mark Griffin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lloyd Schonter

I met with Lloyd a couple of times over the years - which is appropriate since we are both in the amateur league business.

He was interesting fellow - told us about testifying before congress back when AT&T was getting broken up.

We were cordial to one another and when he held his events in Vegas, either myself or David Vandenberghe (my COO) would get a chance to chat.

He always used Diamond Tables in his nationals and I think that showed that he wanted the BEST for his players. He was not concerned that I owned some of Diamond (unlike other leagues) but just wanted what was good for the game.

He took an idea and made it happen.

I met his brother and sister once - and wish them and all of his 'family' my condolences.

Mark Griffin, CEO
CueSports INternational, LLC

Doc Holliday

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The very first super billaiards expo I attended, I had just got into town and was sitting at the Lone Star in King of Prussia, having a beer, when this fellow sat next to me and asked me if I was a pool player. It was Lloyd and we talked for over an hour, he was a super nice guy and he seemed like he was totally commited to making his league the best it could be for the players. He didn't know me from Adam and he was more than willing to answer my questions about his league or just bs about pool.I Never saw him again, but this is terrible news as I believe he was one of the "good guys" in the pool world.

Ctwitty

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I met with Lloyd a couple of times over the years - which is appropriate since we are both in the amateur league business.

He was interesting fellow - told us about testifying before congress back when AT&T was getting broken up.

We were cordial to one another and when he held his events in Vegas, either myself or David Vandenberghe (my COO) would get a chance to chat.

He always used Diamond Tables in his nationals and I think that showed that he wanted the BEST for his players. He was not concerned that I owned some of Diamond (unlike other leagues) but just wanted what was good for the game.

He took an idea and made it happen.

I met his brother and sister once - and wish them and all of his 'family' my condolences.

Mark Griffin, CEO
CueSports INternational, LLC

Yes it's sad to hear of his passing.

Not the time or place to take a cheap shot at (other leagues). It's just your
opinion anyway and this is mine.

The Rooster

Registered
I knew Loyd since high school and can honesty say he was a class act. He always showed respect to everyone he met. For over 40 years he was always someone I was proud to call a friend. I will miss him but I will never forget him.

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member
Yes it's sad to hear of his passing.

Not the time or place to take a cheap shot at (other leagues). It's just your
opinion anyway and this is mine.

Looks like Mr. Griffin was complimenting Mr. Lloyd, not taking cheap shots. What specifically are you referring to?

RunOut Apps

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Loyd Schonter was visionary within the billiard industry, a true hero to his players and a genuine family man who was loved by all that were lucky enough to know him. He will be sorely missed. Our deepest condolences extend to the entire Schonter family who will continue to run the league staying true to his vision. TAP ON!

Last edited: