Men vs Women

xianmacx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am not throwing rocks, and this is kind of a smart-assed comment...but if you think women are more emotional than men in pool you should play in my monthly tournament sometime. Lot's of crying and whining...LOL

haha, great point. Even though Earl can be an emotional wreck away from the shot, when he has his elbow at a 90 he somehow loses that characteristic.

bes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When at her peak, I thought Allison Fisher would give most men a tough match. She was great under pressure, seemed to show very little emotion, and played fabulous safeties. She didn't have a big break or a lot of power, but just didn't miss much or make mistakes.

I am fairly sure she played snooker against men in competition.

Not saying she'd whip all the top players, but I don't think she'd fold, or embarrass herself.

I think she could have been an exceptionally good 8-ball player...

bes

TimmyB80

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think Maniac's post was really good. Difference between men and women:
*power
*mental game (emotionality)
*numbers (from TnJoe's post below)
I think pool is a very unique game in that physical and mental game (nerves, strategy, etc.) is are in equal parts.

I think this would make a interesting test:
*Top 5 male players and 5 top female players.
*Everyone plays everyone in 3 games with each being race to 9 (w/ different levels importance on break strength... 9/10 ball relatively important for power on break, 1pocket with relatively low importance for power on break, and 8ball or something else with medium importance of power on break).
*Keep stats on break speeds, average innings per game, average cue ball movement per game, number of safeties, something to capture the "emotion" aspect (like how many balls are made after opponent has runs of "X" balls, or after a safety), and anything else you can think of.
*For a really good test (but with no real-world validity) you could keep players behind partitions when they aren't shooting, so they wouldn't know who they are playing (male or female), only see the table during their turn. You could see if there are differences when people know they are playing same/opposite sex.

I really don't think it would be hard to figure out this data, the hardest part would be getting pro volunteers. And to get this idea to something that resembles sense rather than my ramblings :) But I know that people do study sports science, so the answers are out there somewhere!

Last edited:

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are simply more males playing serious pool vs. females playing serious pool. I would guess the ratio is 20 to 1.

The proficiency gap between men and women has closed considerably in the last 25 years. If the top 20 male pros were excluded from a contest between 10 men and 10 women---it would prove to be interesting.

Help me out ladies---I'm standing out here alone.

banged up

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
lets try to stay on topic. The direction were currently heading is gonna go badly i fear:(

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When at her peak, I thought Allison Fisher would give most men a tough match. She was great under pressure, seemed to show very little emotion, and played fabulous safeties. She didn't have a big break or a lot of power, but just didn't miss much or make mistakes.

I am fairly sure she played snooker against men in competition.

Not saying she'd whip all the top players, but I don't think she'd fold, or embarrass herself.

I think she could have been an exceptionally good 8-ball player...

bes
I agree Allison in her prime was very good and certainly could have held her own in many male tournaments

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am not throwing rocks, and this is kind of a smart-assed comment...but if you think women are more emotional than men in pool you should play in my monthly tournament sometime. Lot's of crying and whining...LOL

LMAO , ya and I would head that list, but I direct it at myself and my poor play , not at the lights the table the weather or what ever else could be dreamed up as a excuse, but I am a known head case to begin with, its no wonder I like Earl Strickland and Mike the mouth,Kieth McCreedy and McCreesh in our area,, :eek:

Borg was pretty boring unless he was playing Jimmy Conners or Johnny Mac:smile:

Its seems pretty resonable for Dennis O to go 2-1 or better in games against any woman player

I did see SVB give pam treadway the 5 in 10 ball on a bar box and she kept it close enough for them to quit with shane only a few games up
But I dont think it would be near as close on a 9' diamond

Don't forget the sharking factor if the girl is even remotely attractive. That counts for about 10-15 games on the wire in a race to 100.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't forget the sharking factor if the girl is even remotely attractive. That counts for about 10-15 games on the wire in a race to 100.

I dont think that would bother very many of the top guys , me however would be toast,
I dont even want a good looking woman in the same room or I could be toast from the other side of the room never mind playing them, perfect example of that last year in a turny a top young player we all know girl friend says to me "u can sit next to me I dont bite", I was up 5-4 he misses, leaves me a easy shot I dog that and dont know if I made another ball after that lost 9-5:eek:

I dont think that would bother very many of the top guys , me however would be toast,
I dont even want a good looking woman in the same room or I could be toast from the other side of the room never mind playing them, perfect example of that last year in a turny a top young player we all know girl friend says to me "u can sit next to me I dont bite", I was up 5-4 he misses, leaves me a easy shot I dog that and dont know if I made another ball after that lost 9-5:eek:

LOL. Truly a funny story!

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
Yeah I have a hard time focusing when attractive women are around too. However, if I'm playing their boyfriends I typically torture them. Some instinctive gorilla dominance thing methinks...

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
There is no mental of physical reason why a woman cannot play pool as well as a man. That said, the two best women players I've seen in recent years competing against men are Karen Corr and Jasmin Ouschan (Jeanette third). They have absolutely no fear of playing any man and are fully capable of winning against them. I will gladly take either of these women in any match they play against any man, and take 2-1 odds. Yes, they are underdogs. But can they win. YES!

I will go one step further here. If either Karen or Jasmin plays in an open event with men players I will bet on them at even money in every match that they play! But you must bet me on all their matches, not just selected ones.

Last edited:
I'll note that at Turning Stone, Karen was leading Johnny Archer something like 8-5. She ended up losing 9-8. She did get to the table in every rack towards the end of the match. It seemed the entire tournament paused to watch the end of their match. I thought for sure Karen was going to win.

T. Cox

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting topic, here is my theory.

If you were to look at a study of brain function in men and women you will see differences in how the brain processes a task. When a women does a task, blood will pool in several different nerve centers of the brain. (think of it as multi-tasking). When men do the same task the blood will concentrate in just the area needed to perform the task. (think of tunnel vision) In the case of pool, golf, etc. Physical ability is not the deciding factor in winning and losing. It's your focus on making the shot and blocking everything else out.

I was at an event last week where Mark Johnson was speaking. He was a player on the 1980 USA Hockey Team and is the coach of Wisconsin Womens Hockey. He told a story about two players in 1980 who dropped their gloves and pounded on eachother for no reason during practice. Afterwards they went to lunch together like nothing happened. Similar situation with his Women's team. A player cut class and was told she's not allowed to travel with the team to the next game. She left crying. A player that was not expecting to go now get's her spot on the roster. Guess what happened when she got the news that she now has a spot on the roster. Right, she left crying.

Good, bad or indifferent Men and Women function differently. I don't think either is better than the other, just different. It's funny how some people want us to be the same, you can't change millions of years of evolution.

This is just my theory and I look forward to your comments off the air.

Tom

xianmacx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting topic, here is my theory.

If you were to look at a study of brain function in men and women you will see differences in how the brain processes a task. When a women does a task, blood will pool in several different nerve centers of the brain. (think of it as multi-tasking). When men do the same task the blood will concentrate in just the area needed to perform the task. (think of tunnel vision) In the case of pool, golf, etc. Physical ability is not the deciding factor in winning and losing. It's your focus on making the shot and blocking everything else out.

I was at an event last week where Mark Johnson was speaking. He was a player on the 1980 USA Hockey Team and is the coach of Wisconsin Womens Hockey. He told a story about two players in 1980 who dropped their gloves and pounded on eachother for no reason during practice. Afterwards they went to lunch together like nothing happened. Similar situation with his Women's team. A player cut class and was told she's not allowed to travel with the team to the next game. She left crying. A player that was not expecting to go now get's her spot on the roster. Guess what happened when she got the news that she now has a spot on the roster. Right, she left crying.

Good, bad or indifferent Men and Women function differently. I don't think either is better than the other, just different. It's funny how some people want us to be the same, you can't change millions of years of evolution.

This is just my theory and I look forward to your comments off the air.

Tom

Great post. It all goes back to emotion in my opinion. As a whole, Women just go on tilt easier than men.

They can only get their Aces cracked a certain number of hands before their games are effected. The top men players, Shane, Archer, pinoys etc never flinch at the bad beats.