Must See - WPS 8B - Incredible Out by Chris Melling - VIDEO

klone

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow! That was awesome. So glad this was caught on video for the fans! Desperate times called for

RealLive

JUICEISBACK.COM
Silver Member
what do you call his first shot? a double combo kick? lol the timing was so perfect

JohnnyOzone

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
....and to have it be against Mika - I can't believe his head didn't explode.

Melling also played a fantastic safety at the end of the match. Mika wasn't too happy about that one either.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That was a difficult shot no matter how good the player is- especially to make it

It was a simple shot to hit the ball. Making it required a very healthy dose of "luck".

Those shots look good, but I've did similar, and more impressive, shots thousands of times.

Every time you do it, luck is involved...I don't care who you are...Efren or Elroy.

Those are low percentage shots that look impressive when they work. Sometimes you have no choice but to go for it.

Everybody raves about Efren's Z-kick and how great he was for making it. Hitting the ball was the "great" part...making it was L U C K. Just as Efren called it after he made it.

Agent 99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It was a simple shot to hit the ball. Making it required a very healthy dose of "luck".

Those shots look good, but I've did similar, and more impressive, shots thousands of times.

Every time you do it, luck is involved...I don't care who you are...Efren or Elroy.

Those are low percentage shots that look impressive when they work. Sometimes you have no choice but to go for it.

Everybody raves about Efren's Z-kick and how great he was for making it. Hitting the ball was the "great" part...making it was L U C K. Just as Efren called it after he made it.

One must ask the question -- How good do you have to be to get that lucky?

We all know that shots of that difficulty are low percentage shots, but we all get out of line, and at times they are the only shots we have.

Pure luck is when you are playing 9 ball, you shoot a ball trying to make it in the corner and one of your balls goes in the side pocket -- now that is luck, pure luck.

Melling's shots were planed, he tried to make them. Could he make those shots 80% of the time? of course not, and that's what makes this out special.

I think it's true that there is an element of luck involved in everything. I also know that there are times when you make your own luck.

By knowing how to make those shots, and the fact that they were the only shots he had -- He made his own luck by knowing how to make the shot, his practice and knowledge paid off, by providing an opportunity to "get lucky."

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
By knowing how to make those shots, and the fact that they were the only shots he had -- He made his own luck by knowing how to make the shot, his practice and knowledge paid off, by providing an opportunity to "get lucky."

Now, we are in total agreement.

The GREAT part is being able to see the shot and executing it.

Hitting the 3mm patch on the object ball perfectly in order to make it is where the "luck" factor comes into play.

I'm not saying that it wasn't a good shot...I'm just saying you don't have to be a world champion to shoot and make that shot. Anybody who has been playing at a high level for a long time should be able to see the shot and do the same thing...if they have a bit of luck.

I think the majority of people would be hesitant to even try it, if they saw it.

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
L U C K

The four-railer was the only shot that impressed me.

Seriously, that masse shot did not impress you? That shot was more insane than even the kick.

He actually bent it around the second set of balls 5-6 feet away. The only way he makes that masse is to get the spin to catch really late. That shot was nuts.

PS: Masse shots are not luck, they are something that players can actually aim very well when they practice them and have a feel for the spin. Melling is one of very few pros who actually shoots those shots well and you can tell that by the way he shoots them that he is not just throwing the shot out there and hoping, he aimed that shot.

Last edited:

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
Seriously, that masse shot did not impress you? That shot was more insane than even the kick.

He actually bent it around the second set of balls 5-6 feet away. The only way he makes that masse is to get the spin to catch really late. That shot was nuts.

PS: Masse shots are not luck, they are something that players can actually aim very well when they practice them and have a feel for the spin. Melling is one of very few pros who actually shoots those shots well and you can tell that by the way he shoots them that he is not just throwing the shot out there and hoping, he aimed that shot.

I agree, the masse shot was the most difficult to execute of the three.