Kohara cues

$TAKE HOR$E

champagne - campaign
Silver Member
Would like to see some pics of Freds cues, preferably soft joint big pin cues if anyone has one.

thanks

jazznpool

Superior Cues--Unchalked!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Have you tried the search function? There have been quite a few big pin Tad cues posted over the years.

Image1524440617.829081.jpgImage1524440637.032934.jpgImage1524440661.080578.jpgImage1524440678.809607.jpgImage1524440699.777848.jpg

Here are the two “Fred” cues I own. I sold the other and have 2 other TAD made cues.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

$TAKE HOR$E

champagne - campaign
Silver Member
Very nice Johnny B, ive always thought about picking up another one and am curious what the distinction is between the Tads and the cues Fred is making. Are the signatures the same?

The logo is the same. I generally played a steal joint before moving to the big pin Fred cue. I don’t see any workmanship differences and the playability on this big pin is excellent. I have nothing negative to say about the Fred cues and furthermore highly recommend them. However there are few new ones available. I think a lot of people have been apprehensive but I can assure you they are great. If you are going to play the cue, give it some time to break in as I mentioned.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The logo is the same. I generally played a steal joint before moving to the big pin Fred cue. I don’t see any workmanship differences and the playability on this big pin is excellent. I have nothing negative to say about the Fred cues and furthermore highly recommend them. However there are few new ones available. I think a lot of people have been apprehensive but I can assure you they are great. If you are going to play the cue, give it some time to break in as I mentioned.

was that true with tad's too ?

Yes! My original pictures here took time to break in but, I wasn’t as attentive decades ago. I have another TAD Zebra wood cue (pictured here) that I am starting to break in. I can tell it’s making progress and that makes it a more enjoyable cue to play. When you first get them they don’t have the hit you would think they should have. You have to be patient and then they come alive. Image1524444135.851238.jpgImage1524444148.799236.jpgImage1524444164.457333.jpg

I can’t say that the big pin vs the steal joint play any better. They are different. They both play great. My original is a much older cue and therefore the wood is now harder etc. so I can’t do an A/B comparison. The new Zebra wood cue based on what I am seeing will most likely play like my original.

Image1524444410.618038.jpgImage1524444423.197547.jpg

My original. Or I should say my sons. Is well seasoned. Lol. But it plays like nothing else. The only cue I found that plays nearly as well and maybe better (don’t know too close) was a Gina Cue I have the opportunity of playing with. The owner was not ready to sell or I would have bought that cue on the spot. I love the way cues look but I love the way they play better. Playability is a cues primary function.

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yes! My original pictures here took time to break in but, I wasn’t as attentive decades ago. I have another TAD Zebra wood cue (pictured here) that I am starting to break in. I can tell it’s making progress and that makes it a more enjoyable cue to play. When you first get them they don’t have the hit you would think they should have. You have to be patient and then they come alive. View attachment 490796View attachment 490797View attachment 490798

I can’t say that the big pin vs the steal joint play any better. They are different. They both play great. My original is a much older cue and therefore the wood is now harder etc. so I can’t do an A/B comparison. The new Zebra wood cue based on what I am seeing will most likely play like my original.

Hi....
Nice lineup of cues ....
Is it the tips that NEED TO BREAK IN????
or the cue?????

Thanks!

I believe it’s a little of both. The TAD tips are generally pretty hard but they do compress a little. But the wood on the cue also compresses. Mainly the shafts best I can tell

$TAKE HOR$E

champagne - campaign
Silver Member
Hi....
Nice lineup of cues ....
Is it the tips that NEED TO BREAK IN????
or the cue?????

I have heard this for years, and I do think there is some validity to it. The only way you can really tell is by keeping a cue for a long period of time or by playing with an older cue that you are familiar with how a new one plays...of the same brand or cue maker. Its not just cuemakers who mention it but I have heard it from some players as well.

I sold a couple shafts 6-7 years ago for a friend and they started out at roughly 12.75 mm when the cue was new directly from the cuemaker. When I sold them they were both around 12.25 - 12.4 and had never been touched other than new tips, never even cleaned. They were super smooth and straight and played better than a new set of shafts I had from the same cuemaker.

You are correct and I have both a new and vintage of the same style cues and therefore I can actually watch the process take place.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have never heard anything but great things about Tad big pin cues (as far as players).

That is a pretty bold statement, not many cues can make that that claim.

Ken

ghost ball

justnum survivor
Silver Member
I would highly doubt there is a difference. The way the shop is layed out, e.g. a dedicated lathe for every model, and their supply of wood(think lifetime) produces consistent and high quality cues.