Carnauba wax?

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a bunch of house cues that needs some TLC. new tips, ferrules, and a cleaning.
I`m using the Unique shaft cleaner and it works fine, but for resealing the shafts, how do pure carnaba wax compare to the Unique shaft sealer?
I see there is a type of carnauba bar with beeswax available (I guess it`s softer?) will this work for sealing cue shafts?

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I Changed To Craftsman

A couple of years ago I started using Craftsman Cue Wax and I is the best wax I've ever used.......excellent but pricey due to the high shipping cist from England....but it is worth the extra cost.

Matt B.

Russell Cues

Maverick Cue Builder
Silver Member
You would want to use a shaft sealer under the wax. I use Hightowers shaft sealer then a light sand to get it off the surface ( 800 grit) and then apply pure carnuba wax and buff.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Use butcher's wax or bowling alley wax .
They're designed for floors and foot traffic.
Carnauba wax is for finished product.

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Carnauba wax

I have a bunch of house cues that needs some TLC. new tips, ferrules, and a cleaning.
I`m using the Unique shaft cleaner and it works fine, but for resealing the shafts, how do pure carnaba wax compare to the Unique shaft sealer?
I see there is a type of carnauba bar with beeswax available (I guess it`s softer?) will this work for sealing cue shafts?

(Carnauba) is not usable as a wax in it pure form or at least that is what a person told me that make carnauba car wax.

I don't know much about making Carnauba car wax but I do know how to spell it correctly............. CARNAUBA ........................

Carnauba car wax is petro based and some of the solvents are not friendly for your health.

Toluene is used in making carnauba car waxes, its unhealthy and on the DEA watch list for making certain illegal drugs.

I think a polymer is used also.

Carnauba is also used to make the hard shiny coating on MM's candy and to coat pills or medications.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
(Carnauba) is not usable as a wax in it pure form or at least that is what a person told me that make carnauba car wax.

I don't know much about making Carnauba car wax but I do know how to spell it correctly............. CARNAUBA ........................

Carnauba car wax is petro based and some of the solvents are not friendly for your health.

Toluene is used in making carnauba car waxes, its unhealthy and on the DEA watch list for making certain illegal drugs.

I think a polymer is used also.

Carnauba is also used to make the hard shiny coating on MM's candy and to coat pills or medications.

Thanks I didn`t know that.
I`ll try the sealer, bowling alley approach then.

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Wax

Thanks i googled it now. I found this: http://chemistry.about.com/od/foodchemistryfaqs/f/carnauba-wax.htm

Seems to be pretty harmless

Ready the bottom of a can of carnauba wax , Its fatal if swallowed .........................

If you really want to make your own car wax to use on smooth surfaces by a can of carnauba car wax and tell the supplier that you have to have a MSDS sheet with the car wax.
They have to give or have a MSDS sheet of every chemical product in there store.....
Its a osha and a msha laws..........................................
By law ever chemical that is in used or sold or used in any business there has to be a MSDS sheet.
The sheet will break down every chemical used in that can of wax.

I use w41 yellow wax.
http://prowax.com/waxes/W-41_Yellow_Wax_Paste.html.

I found this it is not on the wax I use but just a example.

SECTION I - IDENTIFICATION PRODUCT NAME: Car & Boat Wax Concentrate PRODUCT TYPE:......................................Liquid Cationic Drying Agent
SECTION II - HAZARDOUS INGREDIENTS HAZARDOUS INGREDIENT CAS NUMBER PEL PERCENT
Water 7732-18-5 No limits established Not Listed Mixed Petroleum Hydrocarbons 64741-44-2 5 mg/m3 PEL Dialkyl Quaternary Ammonium Chloride 61789-77-3 No limits established 2-Butoxy Ethanol 111-76-2 20 ppm TLV, 25 ppm PEL
SECTION III - PHYSICAL DATA APPEARANCE: Yellow hazy liquid, slight solvent odor. BOILING POINT: 210 degrees F. VAPOR PRESSURE: N/A VAPOR DENSITY: Greater than 1. SPECIFIC GRAVITY: 0.982 PH: 6.5-7.5 SOLUBILITY IN WATER: Completely soluble.
SECTION IV - FIRE AND EXPLOSION DATA FLASHPOINT:............................................This product is non-flammable. EXTINGUISHING MEDIA:......................Water fog or fine spray. Carbon dioxide, Dry chemical, or Alcohol resistant foam. SPECIAL FIRE FIGHTING PROCEDURES:....................................Firefighters working in areas where this product is present should be equipped with an approved, fully enclosed SCBA . UNUSUAL FIRE AND EXPLOSION HAZARDS:.............................None known. SECTION V - REACTIVITY DATA STABILITY:................................................Stable under normal conditions. HAZARDOUS POLYMERIZATION:.....This product not known to polymerize. INCOMPATIBILITY:................................Do not mix with other chemicals. HAZARDOUS BYPRODUCTS:................Carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide. SECTION VI - HEALTH DATA ROUTE(S) OF ENTRY:.............................Inhalation, skin absorption, or ingestion. LISTED CARCINOGEN:..........................Not listed by IARC, NTP or OSHA. MEDICAL CONDITION AGGRAVATED:........................................May aggravate pre-existing dermatitis. INHALATION:............................................Not likely to be inhaled in hazardous amounts. Avoid exposure to mists or vapors. Maintain adequate ventilation in the work area. INGESTION:...............................................This material can cause irritation or damage to stomach and esophagus. EYES:...........................................................Undiluted product will cause burns or eye irritation, or possibly permanent damage. SKIN (DERMAL):.......................................This product may cause irritation if not removed from the skin. Chronic overexposure may cause injury to blood, liver & kidneys.

BREATHING (INHALATION):................If victim shows signs of discomfort or irritation, remove to fresh air. If symptoms persist, get immediate medical attention. SWALLOWING (INGESTION):..............DO NOT INDUCE VOMITING! Drink a large quantity of water or milk. Do not attempt to give liquids to an unconscious person. Get immediate medical attention! EYES:............................................................Flush eyes with a large quantity of fresh water for at least 15 minutes. If irritation persists, consult a physician. SKIN (DERMAL):.......................................Flush from skin and clothing with large amounts of fresh water. If irritation persists, consult physician. Wash contaminated clothing before wearing. SECTION VIII EMPLOYEE PROTECTION RESPIRATORY PROTECTION:.............Not usually needed in well ventilated areas. If needed, use an OSHA approved respirator. PROTECTIVE CLOTHING:....................Nitrile or PVC gloves, and chemical splash goggles. ADDITIONAL MEASURES:....................Do not place this product in an unmarked container! Keep away from children! Spilled material is slippery.
SECTION IX - SPILL AND DISPOSAL DATA SPILL:..........................................................Dike to prevent spillage into streams or sewer systems. Consult local, state and federal authorities. WASTE DISPOSAL:..................................As recommended by local, state and federal authorities. HANDLING & STORAGE PRECAUTIONS......................................Store in a cool, well ventilated area. Avoid overheating or freezing. SECTION X –OTHER REGULATORY INFORMATION PROPER SHIPPING NAME: Not D.O.T. regulated. NFPA HEALTH: 2 CONSTITUENT: NFPA FLAMMABILITY: 1 HAZARD CLASS AND LABEL: NFPA REACTIVITY: 0 ID NUMBER: NFPA OTHER: None PACKING GROUP:
SECTION XI - PRECAUTIONARY STATEMENTS WARNING:..................................................The information contained in this MSDS is based on the data available to us from sources we believe to be reliable. No warranty or guaranty expressed or implied is made regarding the accuracy of this data or the results obtained from the reliance on this data. The manufacturer assumes no responsibility for injury from the use of this product. Be safe- read this product safety information and pass it on to all persons who may be exposed to this product. Federal law requires it.

cammel8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Wax and sealer are two different things. Think of sealer as a very thin clear coat, that goes on the wood to seal up the pores of the wood. While wax is to make it shiny and smooth. Yes you can make a stick shiny and smooth by using sealer as well as seal pores using wax, one really doesn't replace the other as much as complicate each other. Usually you use sealer, and polish it up then use wax to give it an almost glass like finish.

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
Renaissance Wax is not really a wax.. it is a great sealer... I use it on my cast iron table on my band saw.... it will not rust with that on it...

Kim

It works wonders on shafts, linen wraps, and cues with rubbed finishes... Been using it for many moons...

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wax and sealer are two different things. Think of sealer as a very thin clear coat, that goes on the wood to seal up the pores of the wood. While wax is to make it shiny and smooth. Yes you can make a stick shiny and smooth by using sealer as well as seal pores using wax, one really doesn't replace the other as much as complicate each other. Usually you use sealer, and polish it up then use wax to give it an almost glass like finish.

I might be wrong, but this is how i see the process done:

1. Clean shaft with shaft cleaner,
2. Seal shaft with shaft sealer
3. Polish/burnish shaft with wax like Carnauba or cuewax.

Is that the correct way to do it?

SouthernDraw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I might be wrong, but this is how i see the process done:

1. Clean shaft with shaft cleaner,
2. Seal shaft with shaft sealer
3. Polish/burnish shaft with wax like Carnauba or cuewax.

Is that the correct way to do it?
Like Cammel said, you can burnish/polish it with the sealer. From my experience Europe has terrible paper towels. At least I have never seen any that compare to our premium brands here. You can use old worn out strips of t-shirt. After you do this, wax will further polish it. I also recommend bowling alley wax.

ddcuerepair

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Renaissance Wax.jpg

This is the best wax I have found so far