Governing body of pool table mechanics

PoolTable911

AdvancedBilliardSolutions
Silver Member
I'd think there's a good amount of discussion going on off-forum.
Seems ABIA got the ball rolling and is gaining a following. My main question is who is the ABIA and what are their credentials.
Going along with that just who or whom is going to be doing the certifying. IMO it's all a step in a good direction but there's
a lot of unanswered questions.

We as a group, are the ABIA. You, me and a great group of mechanics that have been sharing ideas and working on making this thing we do better. As for the creators of the ABIA. They are both in our industry and want what the rest of us do. There are many unanswered questions that just need time to be worked out. I think you would agree that the names on the list I sent you is a pretty good start. I have gotten alot of
enthusiasm and postive response from them. As I learn more I will share it with the group.

n10spool

PHD in table mechanics
Silver Member
Why do you need to involve the manufacturers with the certification process.I for one think you guys like Glen and Gregory should sale there service of training to dealers and travel the country.

With out the manufactures to back up the BACKBONE there would be no baseline to start from to insure that the end user the homeowner and ther new purchase is delivered and installed to 100% completion like the sales book picture shows or the demo table or web page shows from the manufacturer.

The freeway/ railway system is the backbone of the USA.

The F.C.C is the governing body to over see rf transmissions of radio and tv plus multipole other broadcastings are up to specs 24/7.

I work as a Cable tv/phone/hsd installer for 12 years and a table mechanic for 12 yrs also. Until January 1st no tests, exams or certifications needed to work. come 1-1-10 no cert's no work I just passed my last test today thats why I've been away working and reading up on old and older technology so i could pass these 3 test all have a 500 questions but and the pick 50 out of 500 and you have 50 minutes to pass with a 80%.
out of 75 guys were I work only 45 have passed 10 quit and 7 have taken it 3 times before they passed. we did loose a bunch of hacks in the last 2 weeks.

We do need a backbone and railway system.

Manufacturers need the best to survive a slow economy, Homeowners need the best for there hard earned money that there spending on a want/entertainment item. possibly taking a loan out on it.

Manufacturers should be glad to help out and demand the best and set specs for a school or governing body to help promote these specs.

As dish installer i Paid $200 Every 2 yrs plus took a 100 question test to be sbca certified.

Everyone should be on a rating system also so they can learn were to better themselves. 8 legged snooker table my not be there best area but montana billiard tables are and dlt are cake walk for others.

Craig

OTLB

Banned
a forum is a great place for ideas to surface, good and not so good doesn't matter. For me to really layout my thoughts in this regard would take a great deal of time and discussion. A plan for some type of association is needed and we can model ours after other service businesses which have already outlined and developed their own cert programs. It would be nice to see tables used in tournaments certified to spec's wouldn't it. How about a place to send your levels to show that an outside source verifies your tools. How about a std pc program to track various parameters of table performance with tools mentioned here in the forum. As a group we would need to demonstrate much more then just mechanical ability. This would be a fun undertaking but like with Mens Pro pool we would need to have one front. And the worst possible thing to happen is for something to start and then fail.

But as a side note: my thread on how much to stretch etc is a good example of what we face.

Last edited:

PoolTable911

AdvancedBilliardSolutions
Silver Member
a forum is a great place for ideas to surface, good and not so good doesn't matter. For me to really layout my thoughts in this regard would take a great deal of time and discussion. A plan for some type of association is needed and we can model ours after other service businesses which have already outlined and developed their own cert programs. It would be nice to see tables used in tournaments certified to spec's wouldn't it. How about a place to send your levels to show that an outside source verifies your tools. How about a std pc program to track various parameters of table performance with tools mentioned here in the forum. As a group we would need to demonstrate much more then just mechanical ability. This would be a fun undertaking but like with Mens Pro pool we would need to have one front. And the worst possible thing to happen is for something to start and then fail.

But as a side note: my thread on how much to stretch etc is a good example of what we face.
John,
All great ideas! My hopes are more people share their thoughts and this thing has a fighting chance.

TableTek

Silver Member
I am supporting the ABIA, what is next step?

First off, I am totally for the ABIA. However, that being said there are some concerns that I am sure others share.

1) Who is running the ABIA and what is their motive? Money, mechanics, industry, etc
2) How do we maintain control of who is allowed in and how do you remove mechanics that can do good work (passed certs) but won't always keep the stds?
3) Do we involve manufacturers in the ABIA at all? Seems to be foolish as most of them are bottom dollar fixated. The few that are making quality tables might try to leverage us for market share increases...
4) Do we dream big and start small or plan big and start slow?
5) Do we have a timeline on any of these items? Should we at least have an ABIA conference much like Alsip for all those interested?

Feedback is appreciated
ROb

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
in the making

it all comes down to politics and leverage-regardless.....
-
we have to start this and don't let back on the pressure...we as mechanics are the only ones pressing the statement of quality and consistency of pool table installation and repair service work.....
-
there is a lot of people thinking there hardest outside of what is said here to come up with a solution for all this, i would like everyone's opinion here rather if ur a mechanic or not, if u have a idea put it out there= don't be afraid to post- and there shouldn't be any name calling or disrespect of ur posted ideas because this is a start of a very serious industry and every angle needs exposed....
-
like trying to start a work truck with near dead battery."errRRrr-click".lots of potential just need more power to the starter..--who got the jumper cables? and we know who has the keys......
-
thx,
Robert Molina

Dartman

Silver Member
First off, I am totally for the ABIA. However, that being said there are some concerns that I am sure others share.

1) Who is running the ABIA and what is their motive? Money, mechanics, industry, etc
2) How do we maintain control of who is allowed in and how do you remove mechanics that can do good work (passed certs) but won't always keep the stds?
3) Do we involve manufacturers in the ABIA at all? Seems to be foolish as most of them are bottom dollar fixated. The few that are making quality tables might try to leverage us for market share increases...
4) Do we dream big and start small or plan big and start slow?
5) Do we have a timeline on any of these items? Should we at least have an ABIA conference much like Alsip for all those interested?

Feedback is appreciated
ROb

Most people that could be affected by this probably have the same questions.
I'd like to think that once the standards are set, certifications completed and a marketing plan developed
to educate the public to seek out an ABIA certified mechanic then the ball will start rolling.