Sorry But Another Mental Thing

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yesterday playing 3C I ran an 8. Needed 9 to get out by the way. #9 was an easy layup with ball 2 as big as it gets in the corner and ball 1 sitting as pretty as can be. Missed it!!!!:embarrassed2::(

I've never run a 9 or a 10 for that matter higher runs yes but these two I've never bagged.

Any suggestions on how to stop telling myself "I finally did it" before I do?

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Yesterday playing 3C I ran an 8. Needed 9 to get out by the way. #9 was an easy layup with ball 2 as big as it gets in the corner and ball 1 sitting as pretty as can be. Missed it!!!!:embarrassed2::(

I've never run a 9 or a 10 for that matter higher runs yes but these two I've never bagged.

Any suggestions on how to stop telling myself "I finally did it" before I do?

On your first shot, pretend you're on a run of 10 - and believe it.

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Spidey I'll give that a try.

Hope it doesn't create another problem though.

Can you say "Walking the Wire";)

dr9ball

"Lock Doctor"
Silver Member
Just a thought. Try implementing each and every shot (both practice and game)with the same pre-shot routines and have a mental switch/trigger, (like when you put your chalk down after chalking your cue) where you stop thinking and just execute the shot. I think you will find it helps greatly in keeping the distracting thoughts out of your head.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
All I have to say is if you're running 8 and have run way more than 10, the best mental advice you could get would be to EMPTY your mind and almost black-out while you play. Anything mental would hold you back-- as Yoda says, "Don't try-- Do."

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks dr9ball and Spidey again. These are the kinds of things I'm looking for.

I'm always accused of being a very intense person. If that's is true then I wouldn't have a problem with a 9 then 10..........................

Just for the record my high run is not a monster. Its less than 15 and only the same number twice in decades of playing. So no big deal. The stars aligned a couple of times for me. 15 is the goal.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Impressive I see Obiwan has taught you well...but you are no match for the power....

All I have to say is if you're running 8 and have run way more than 10, the best mental advice you could get would be to EMPTY your mind and almost black-out while you play. Anything mental would hold you back-- as Yoda says, "Don't try-- Do."

correction........

Yoda says:

Do or do not......there is no try.......

starwars nerd,
-Grey Ghost-

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Re-read your initial post, and think about it a minute...... why are you so concerned with ending a run a number that you haven't ended on before when it is a lesser number than your high run?? You are sabotaging yourself on something that really is meaningless and rather silly.

Absolutely no offence intended, but think about it for a minute or two.;) It's the same thing as a 14.1 player saying that he never ran 36, he ran 150, but never just a 36.

You're right Neil, worrying about a specific number is silly and that number is meaningless. But I can't get to 15 without passing through #9.

Your 14:1 analogy has merit but I missed a 10" shot with the ball hanging in the pocket @ #149.

I guess the problem is not #9 but breaking my high run. At 8 I start getting the jitters I suppose. Really dumb!! By the way I didn't even realize 9 was my out shot till I moved the beads.

Here's #9:eek:
Aw crap I can't get the carom table to work. I'm the 2 ball.

CueTable Help

Last edited: