AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Bob, what do you mean by "grease" ?
This refers to an absolutely standard technique in artistic pool and billiards to make masse last for a long, long time and to get huge arcs in various shots. You use either wax or silicone spray on the cue ball. It makes the cue ball very slippery which causes spin to work very slowly and you get amazing action, as seen in the video. Also, wax/silicone keeps spin from dying when you go into a cushion, so you can quadruple a cushion when otherwise you might only be able to double it with follow.
(Edit: ) I should point out that in the official competition the balls are clean but not waxed. The wax only comes out for exhibitions and demonstrations like in the link. Some of the more recent additions to the competition have been adapted from the waxy shots developed by Rojas and others but they are not quite as unbelievable -- just very difficult.

Last edited:

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've played all of shots in the (old) program and I don't recall any awkward poses except for the masse shots. There it's good for your legs to be flexible. I think there is no danger of RSI. Long hours of practice can also lead to callouses or blisters depending on how tight your bridge is and whether you use a glove but that's true for regular pool as well.

I was referring to the masse shots. Seems to be a lot of those.

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
Low reps heavy weight, you want to build fast twitch muscle fibers. (like a sprinter has) Light weights and high reps build endurance (like marathon runners) which are slow twitch muscle fibers.

You build endurance with lighter weights, and strength with lower weight.

Speed of reps (quick motion) will hurt only if you break form. You want to focus only on the muscle group involved and not bring others into play.

Interesting. Based on its' shape and position it looks like it is the primary motor for flexing the elbow. I wonder if a light resistance and quick motion would be the best method of improving the strength of the muscle.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Low reps heavy weight, you want to build fast twitch muscle fibers. (like a sprinter has) Light weights and high reps build endurance (like marathon runners) which are slow twitch muscle fibers.

You build endurance with lighter weights, and strength with lower weight.

Speed of reps (quick motion) will hurt only if you break form. You want to focus only on the muscle group involved and not bring others into play.
Thanks for the info. Is it important to have the same range of motion as in the pool/billiard stroke during the reps?

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
Low reps heavy weight, you want to build fast twitch muscle fibers.

I had looked quickly for a routine and found reference to medicine ball training for this particular muscle but forgot to update my response. Might have to add this to my New Year's Resolutions.

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
In my old school mind I say yes.

However, what I know about how strength training has changed in the last 30 years there is more of an emphasis on partial range of motion exercises today.

For example in bench press training today there is more emphasis on partial movements, ie training the lockout portion of the lift vs the entire range of motion. Some of this is explained by the equipment that has become popular, (and required) to compete at a high level. It used to be 30 years ago that the hardest part of a bench-press was moving the still mass off your chest.

With the equipment being used now (special shirts and suits) the hardest part of the lift is getting the mass to settle "on your chest" The equipment provides a spring for the first 4 to six inches of the lift, leaving the hardest part now to lockout the lift with your triceps.

Now since nobody I know has developed a special shirt that provides additional energy to a pool stroke, I think it best to train the entire range of motion.

Thanks for the info. Is it important to have the same range of motion as in the pool/billiard stroke during the reps?

Last edited:

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had looked quickly for a routine and found reference to medicine ball training for this particular muscle but forgot to update my response. Might have to add this to my New Year's Resolutions.

Maybe I'm missing something here. Carom billiards is played on heated tables with fast cloth and super clean balls.

As I wrote before, if anything, I can see a possibility of tendonitis from repetition of practicing masse shots, but other than that, where's the need for all that muscle building?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... where's the need for all that muscle building?
Some of the shots require pretty good stick speed. Many of the shots can be made with moderate speed and good accuracy, but I think the percentage on the tougher shots is helped by strength -- it's better not to be at the limit of your ability on any shot.

Have you had a chance to look at the shots in the program, Fran?

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some of the shots require pretty good stick speed. Many of the shots can be made with moderate speed and good accuracy, but I think the percentage on the tougher shots is helped by strength -- it's better not to be at the limit of your ability on any shot.

Have you had a chance to look at the shots in the program, Fran?

Yes I saw the diagrams, but I'm not knowledgeable enough to know which shots, if any, would benefit from increased physical strength. My only reference is from the exhibitions I've seen at the end of the carom events at Carom Billiards in NYC, and videos like the one posted by the op.

If you say that improving physical strength helps, I'll believe it, but conceptually, it's hard for me to picture. When I play on those tournament tables, I find that all you have to do is barely touch the ball and it moves incredibly fast.

scottjen26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think technique is more important than strength, I'm not sure that increased strength would necessarily allow you to accelerate the cue more quickly.

Although strength training would definitely help with overall fitness and could prevent injuries from the repetitive motion, the same way that people in good shape from exercise/weights using the upper body rarely develop tennis or golfer's elbow, other than the occasional trauma-type injury. Those typical repetitive motion or stress injuries are usually reserved for the weekend warrior who is not in the greatest of overall shape...

Also, this was posted in the carom section, check out this guy's video on masse technique, he really goes into a lot of detail about the stroke itself and the levers involved, and as you can see he's pretty proficient with it. I'm hoping he follows it up with the second video he references, that's the one I really want to see...

http://www.juanjotrilles.com/ap/cm.aspx?id=145

Scott