Orcollo might try to beat the 626 record

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On a loose table, I’d bet on them as long as they made the attempts, but I just can’t imagine the scenario in which they would make the attempts for months unless a huge amount of money was in play.

It’s easy to overlook just how important the commitment issue is here, and I just can’t see anyone matching the commitment John had to shot thousand and thousands of hours of straight pool. I just don’t think they’d give it a go.

Finally, I like Feijen over half of your six.

Given ideal conditions they'd all have a shot.

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's funny to me that for the last 60 years that 526 was absolutely amazing and an almost unbreakable record, but now that someone (John Schmidt) has broken it's just a minor thing and anyone can do it. All records are for breaking but if it was easy it would have been broken a long time ago

The difference is that JS set up a table and conditions set up specifically for a high run.

I don't think anyone else has done that. Sure, they might try on their home table or room but this was different.

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My POV has been based on Thorsten's congratulatory post he made in face book. He stated that the number itself was ridiculous. Tony Robles posted that he thought it was bigger than any world championship or us open (https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10156670271443600&id=513738599&__tn__=*s-R).

I just don't believe these great 14.1 players would be publicly this in awe just to be polite...I'm reading into their comments that they truly believe this number is astonishing and out of reach by even themselves.

I would love to hear Niels F's comments on the number. I watched a video of him on his home table go for a max and he missed in practice on 208....
https://youtu.be/dt-isNeP0Gc

You could see the shock and frustration and hanging the head as he simply jawed #209.

I read into Thorsten's comments that he believes the number is so ridiculous because of all the failures you must endure and forge through to get there. The achievement wasn't just the number--it was the victory over the human condition that these players are applauding.

Just my opinion but I think all that will change if others are provided a similar set up for running balls.

Lou Figueroa

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Saying it and doing it are two different things.

They should find a way to exploit this...Predator puts up 20k prize and every human on the planet gets the next 2 months to beat the record. Best of luck.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lou would you be willing to be all-time ball polisher so we can see this 626 (pending unedited original video) get swept away quickly ? Pretty please....

I think you should be talking to Jeff about that.

Apparently he's the one that doesn't believe polishing balls makes a difference.

Lou Figueroa

eastcoast_chris

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dennis ran 260 at the Derby on much tighter equipment than the 626 was set on, if he tried for a week it would be very interesting to see what he could do.

I do know the way Dennis pockets balls give him a loose table and a pile of cash if he does it would be fun to sweat :smile:

Tight/loose isn't usually what causes the end of a big run... it is being stuck to a ball/rack, or getting kick in on a break shot, or having no shot after a break... all of which have little to do with the table and more to do with the knowledge of the shooter.... and luck.

gypsy_soul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The commitment is the key factor that seems to be overlooked by most. Even, supposedly experienced 14.1 players, which makes exactly ZERO sense, because an experienced 14.1 play "should know that" and 5he commitment should be the first thing they acknowledge....not all the other lesser important variables.

I think it's a personal issue with some. With others, I think what you say is the culprit.

Well I like action not talk . Looks like if they play each other then we would have tons of side bets . I wanna see how they play with someone shooting back I'm betting on JS all the way !!!!!

Shuddy

Diamond Dave’s babysitter
Silver Member
I have 2 dvds of big runs by John and his commentary along with them. They are pool lessons in themselves. However, anything older than 6 months ago, you are seeing a different John. According to him and his post 626 interview, he reached a new level of understanding on his 14.1 game...an example he made was that he was breaking softer and not slamming them hard and developing repeated 300+ and 400+ runs...there's other aspects which is why I'll be one of the first in line for the dvd with commentary....I'm ultra curious to hear John in his own words describe this evolution in his game after he started going for the record.

Oh, I can’t wait to see the 626! I’m really looking forward to it. However, we have footage of a high run made during this most recent push to the 626, on his YouTube channel. There’s plenty of hard break shots.

My only point regarding this is that I don’t believe there’s any mysterious straight pool knowledge that would prohibit a skilled player from having a decent crack at the record, assuming they have the mental focus and clarity. I mean, hitting the pack hard, medium, or soft doesn’t take years of straight pool to figure out. There’s thousands of snooker players around the world that have known this since they picked up a cue. John obviously found something that works for him, and that’s awesome because now we have this phenomenal 626. However, what’s the most important shot sequence in 14.1? The break shot. I can’t understand why any serious 14.1 player wouldn’t spend a chunk of time experimenting with the variables involved in the break shot; speed, juice, contact balls in the pack. Maybe John got stuck in a groove for a few years and forgot the alternatives. I don’t know. But if you were personally going to have a crack at a high run, would you just put the balls on the table and go for it, just banging your head against a wall over and over, or would you spend some time working on the most important sequence in the game?

Again, my only point is that I don’t put much value in the idea that experienced 14.1 players possess knowledge that can only be gained through years of 14.1 experience.

Lonestar_jim

Two & Out
Silver Member
Well I like action not talk . Looks like if they play each other then we would have tons of side bets . I wanna see how they play with someone shooting back I'm betting on JS all the way !!!!!

John Schmidt should have come out and challenged others to top his run instead of asking them to wait a year. I still hope it holds up until others get tired of shooting at it.

Dennis should knock it down without pay, if it’s that easy.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh, I can’t wait to see the 626! I’m really looking forward to it. However, we have footage of a high run made during this most recent push to the 626, on his YouTube channel. There’s plenty of hard break shots.

My only point regarding this is that I don’t believe there’s any mysterious straight pool knowledge that would prohibit a skilled player from having a decent crack at the record, assuming they have the mental focus and clarity. I mean, hitting the pack hard, medium, or soft doesn’t take years of straight pool to figure out. There’s thousands of snooker players around the world that have known this since they picked up a cue. John obviously found something that works for him, and that’s awesome because now we have this phenomenal 626. However, what’s the most important shot sequence in 14.1? The break shot. I can’t understand why any serious 14.1 player wouldn’t spend a chunk of time experimenting with the variables involved in the break shot; speed, juice, contact balls in the pack. Maybe John got stuck in a groove for a few years and forgot the alternatives. I don’t know. But if you were personally going to have a crack at a high run, would you just put the balls on the table and go for it, just banging your head against a wall over and over, or would you spend some time working on the most important sequence in the game?

Again, my only point is that I don’t put much value in the idea that experienced 14.1 players possess knowledge that can only be gained through years of 14.1 experience.

I see your point. And it's backed up by Josh Filler...the kid has only been alive 20 years and already he nailed out a Derby record of 285 on 4.5 inch diamond pockets. So yes, I do believe a straight shooter with limited experience can give it a run.

What I think John was learning as the odds of going at racks I certain ways eventually lead to the pitfalls that end runs. We are talking 44 racks in a row....so in order to limit those odds, there is a certain approach to the game that was learned by John. When to break hard, when to not break hard, when to use English to break off the rack and set your cue ball up for a shot....so many variables, not to mention a completely different approach to the game that must be learned if you have been playing rotation for a while (minimal rails, less cue ball movement) which all effect the pattern choices.

That's why I believe, and Sjm touched on this earlier, that there has to be a period of strict dedication to the 14.1 high run....where your mind is only in those patterns for 14.1 and the discipline of cue ball placement precision and avoiding temptation to resort to banks or multi rail rotation position routes has taken priority.

Can it be done? Sure. But it has to be a prolonged commitment by a really high level player.

Shuddy

Diamond Dave’s babysitter
Silver Member
That's why I believe, and Sjm touched on this earlier, that there has to be a period of strict dedication to the 14.1 high run....where your mind is only in those patterns for 14.1 and the discipline of cue ball placement precision and avoiding temptation to resort to banks or multi rail rotation position routes has taken priority.

Agreed, 100%

gunzby

My light saber is LD
Silver Member
I think that if Dennis tries on an easy table (5-inch pockets) he will run 400 within 200 starts.

Oh I think he can break 400. I just don't think he'd do it in the first week. Dennis is an amazing player, but I don't see 627 in his future

Edit:

I'd like to add that Dennis saying he'd break it in a week (if he did say that) is pretty damn piss poor thing to say. I'm guessing that someone posted that he said it. If he said that to me I wouldn't repeat it on social media, but that's because I don't like looking like a parrot

Last edited:

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The difference is that JS set up a table and conditions set up specifically for a high run.

I don't think anyone else has done that. Sure, they might try on their home table or room but this was different.

Lou Figueroa

Table still played tougher than the one Willie played on

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tight/loose isn't usually what causes the end of a big run... it is being stuck to a ball/rack, or getting kick in on a break shot, or having no shot after a break... all of which have little to do with the table and more to do with the knowledge of the shooter.... and luck.

I think it's a combination of things.

How much precision the cloth allows you to play position. How polished the balls are and whether they open up easily. How loose the pockets are so that a) can unintentionally miss but still have it drop and b) use the wider pockets to work the CB.

By extension, all of those factors mean that you are much more likely to get perfect on your break balls. And if you're perfect or close to perfect a greater percentage of the time there is less likelihood of getting pinned to the rack or scratching..

I would also point out that there is knowledge about hitting the rack at different points, with different speeds and spins that also help. It's not just about blasting them open.

Lou Figueroa