Orcollo might try to beat the 626 record

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One guy trying to out do the next guy is just human nature.

From the 1st caveman to pick up a rock and throw it, the next guy picked up a rock and tried to throw it farther lol

Pool is a competitive sport and i don't see anything wrong with somebody trying to break John's record, if they want try let em i say :smile:

I think the 2nd hit the first guy with the rock, actually. Then stole his cavewoman.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is unfortunately quite the anti-Schmidt crowd as I'm learning, so I'm thinking this is where this sudden fixation (to knock John off the perch) is coming from. I don't agree with it at all -- and lord knows, John and I have had our fisticuffs on social media. But give the man his due and recognize the achievement for what it is, not as a toy to be taken away from him. Later on, after the run has been verified and the video released, *then* try to go after it.

-Sean
You know, Sean...

I am not sure any of the guys that are likely competitors of the 626 have the mental stick-to-it that John does.

Takes a lot of talent to outrun super-determination coupled with lots of skill.

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John revealed his secret, just smash them as hard as you can with draw :eek:

Capture.PNG

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Finnish Snooker (former)pro player made 170+ when first tried 14.1. So they can run big numbers for sure.
Not saying they are better than 14.1 players but Snooker players are masters of short roll and stun shots. So their cueball control is normally a lot more pinpoint accurate than pool players.

170 balls is not small a small number to amateurs but to pro 14.1 player 170 is not even warmed up yet.

My high is 156 so, yeah, 170 is awsome to "me" but to John and others like him, 170 is same as "just getting started".

Although, i wish i could run 170..... especially on tight equipment, i wouldn't ever go to sleep.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
You know, Sean...

I am not sure any of the guys that are likely competitors of the 626 have the mental stick-to-it that John does.

Exactly how I see this. John’s level of commitment and capacity for endurance with respect to achieving this record is something I just don’t see anyone matching. I think it is highly speculative to think that anyone else can duplicate it, and I am betting against it.

shinobi

kanadajindayo
Silver Member
Exactly how I see this. John’s level of commitment and capacity for endurance with respect to achieving this record is something I just don’t see anyone matching. I think it is highly speculative to think that anyone else can duplicate it, and I am betting against it.

Not only the dedication on the table despite so many high runs ending from bad luck, but then coming home to an endless barrage of keyboard warriors pointing out how it won't mean anything even if you do beat the record, because A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H and I. And let's not forget, J. And also just because you suck. Can't forget that one.

If other pros really think they can do it, I say go for it. The most likely result is it will simply validate the difficulty of what John achieved.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You know, Sean...

You know, i said more or less the same thing and "no stroke"....or.something like that and others said "your wrong .

Good post BB.

I agree, a the talent/skill in the world does absolutely no good to get there without an enormous amount of 141. "Experience"....

Lots and lots and lots of innings, trial and error.......over and over and over again and all the while, not being paid to do it....

That takes commitment that few have.....regardless of how straight they shoot.

Very good post Sir!

Jeff

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think the dedication is what will be lacking. If there were a ten million dollar prize for every run of 627 in the next year, I think we would see three or four or a dozen of them. For most top players the problem is how long it's going to take them, not whether they have a chance or not.

John was in his fourth month-long set of attempts and his 79th playing day. He had about 300 runs of 100 or more during that time and I estimate his total balls pocketed as 84,000. I think any player going for 627 will see about 300 misses after passing 100 and before finally getting 627.

Shuddy

Diamond Dave’s babysitter
Silver Member
You know, i said more or less the same thing and "no stroke"....or.something like that and others said "your wrong .

Good post BB.

I agree, a the talent/skill in the world does absolutely no good to get there without an enormous amount of 141. "Experience"....

Lots and lots and lots of innings, trial and error.......over and over and over again and all the while, not being paid to do it....

That takes commitment that few have.....regardless of how straight they shoot.

Very good post Sir!

Jeff

That definition of experience I 100% agree with. Banging your head against the 14.1 wall over and over, withstanding the kicks in the guts at 300, 400, and racking the balls and doing it all over again. Anyone who has the fortitude to do that is a monster.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That definition of experience I 100% agree with. Banging your head against the 14.1 wall over and over, withstanding the kicks in the guts at 300, 400, and racking the balls and doing it all over again. Anyone who has the fortitude to do that is a monster.

Staying at and studying the balls after the break and remembering where and how the CB went and came.....what was good or bad and how to stop it or repeat it...

Yep, its R&D that transforms a "good player" into a "great player" and a "great player".......into a "MONSTER".

What decides where we end up?

Well, other than how much we put into it, its the talent we start with...

^^^^^^^^^ is why no matter how much most practice or play, they never make pro.

Jeff