JZmechanix made a service call yesterday

rrich1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jack came by and set up my table yesterday. I had Jack install sub rails to diamond dimensions, diamond cushions, 860 HR Simonis, and a table set up.

I couldn't be happier with how it turned out. Table doesn't have any funny rolls to it and banks great. :D

Ran into a real potential problem right from the get go. Luckily I found out the night before. I started to thread the leg levelers into the feet and body, only to realize on the last one, one of the ends was stripped! Called everywhere in the morning to get a die to rethread it but nobody had it in stock. I finally found a machine shop and they cut me a new piece. :thumbup:

I had the metal pieces (except the copper side rails) powder coated a maple bronze color. The color really goes well with the blue, copper, and wood of the table. Click the link for some pics. :thumbup:

If you are around JZ's service area, I would highly recommend his services. He is very fast in his work. I dropped off my rails to him in Indianapolis on Tues and they were done on Saturday :eek:

https://picasaweb.google.com/114351443120585754709/GCIII

kline99

Registered
Question about Diamondizing

I am planning this exact conversion to get my GC pockets to play like diamond pockets, but I was wondering if it might compensate for the shorter shelf of the GC to go with a 143* angle instead of the 141*. My question is: do balls rattle in the pocket if they catch the rail first, even at slow speed, like on a diamond?

Donny Wessels

Silver Member
I am planning this exact conversion to get my GC pockets to play like diamond pockets, but I was wondering if it might compensate for the shorter shelf of the GC to go with a 143* angle instead of the 141*. My question is: do balls rattle in the pocket if they catch the rail first, even at slow speed, like on a diamond?

that's an over compensation. 143 and tight pockets is a bad combination.

realkingcobra

Silver Member

The ball rattle you're talking about takes place in the same area on a Gold Crown as it does on a Diamond with the same pocket dementions, only difference is that when the ball drifts back further in the pocket, Diamonds have a little bit deeper shelf for the ball to come to rest on.

Glen

kline99

Registered
143 4.5 pockets after sub rail extensions

JZ is here taking my rails and I'm still undecided about going with 143 vs the 141. Ultimately, I believe that playing at the highest level should be about thinking ahead and gaining angles so that the cueball naturally rolls into position with a finesse stroke, as opposed to the power game and tons of cueball spin. In my limited experience with Diamond tables, the rattling in the pocket when a shot catches the rail tends to make finesse shots preferred over power shots. If going with 143 vs 141 requires more thinking ahead and precise angles in my play, I think it will ultimately make me a better player on any table, but especially on Diamonds, which I plan to play on in the upcoming Derby City Classic. Any other opinions?

Donny Wessels

Silver Member
JZ is here taking my rails and I'm still undecided about going with 143 vs the 141. Ultimately, I believe that playing at the highest level should be about thinking ahead and gaining angles so that the cueball naturally rolls into position with a finesse stroke, as opposed to the power game and tons of cueball spin. In my limited experience with Diamond tables, the rattling in the pocket when a shot catches the rail tends to make finesse shots preferred over power shots. If going with 143 vs 141 requires more thinking ahead and precise angles in my play, I think it will ultimately make me a better player on any table, but especially on Diamonds, which I plan to play on in the upcoming Derby City Classic. Any other opinions?

practicing on a table that won't accept balls hit down the rail with bottom english, isn't going to help you play on Diamond tables.

kline99

Registered
Diamondizing the Gold Crown

I agree that I don't want the table to be unplayable and my main goal is to have consistency from pocket to pocket and all around the cushions instead of the triple shims and dead spots I had before. I'm hoping I can talk Rich into posting a short video clip demonstrating the behavior of his pockets now when a ball catches a little bit of the rail at various speeds. If the short shelf allows alot of sloppy shots to drop, then I will probably go with 142 or 143 instead of 141.

kline99

Registered
Diamondized GC pocket angles

The ball rattle you're talking about takes place in the same area on a Gold Crown as it does on a Diamond with the same pocket dementions, only difference is that when the ball drifts back further in the pocket, Diamonds have a little bit deeper shelf for the ball to come to rest on.

Glen

Thanks for the info Glen, so do you concur with SD that the table will be unfairly tough at 143 with everything else being at diamond specs?

A-1 billiards

FELT WRIGHT
Silver Member
Jack,

Nice work! great pictures also. As far as pocket angles on Gold crowns, I like the play of 4.5 inch at the corner pocket openings with 140 degree throat angles and 13 degree down angles. I've found this combination to be tough and fair from all the entree angles, especially down the rail shots.

If the corner pockets drop down to 4.25 I'll go to 139 throats 14 degree downs. 4.00 inch 138 throat 15 degree down. Just my experience with keeping the table playable and fair.

Jay

kline99

Registered
Also upgrading to Artemis Rubber...

Glen,

After reading your points about softer rubber being a rattle factor in this thread:

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=181206

I'm now convinced that I should just go with the standard 4.5", 141 deg., 15 deg down angle setup, since I am also getting the artemis rubber instead of the diamond rubber. Thanks to everyone for their advice with this decision. I definitely didn't wan't accurate shots to rattle that would go in on most other tables. I will let you know in a couple of weeks if the slow roll rattle is the same as on a Diamond, maybe in a month or so when cloth is broken in.