One pocket rule clarification: Non-forward stroke intentional foul

wayne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd rather play by the actual rules of the game but I also realize that most players including most "professional" players have only a vague idea of what the rules actually are. I've met too many players who make some kind of move every time any slightly complicated situation comes up. Did you know that if your opponent is on two fouls and you make a ball he is off his fouls? You have to play a safe to keep him on fouls.

Haha. Did you just make up that rule to see if anyone caught it? Of course that isn't a rule any tournament or match I've ever played. If you make 3 consecutive fouls you lose (as long as you were warned after 2). Of course if you make a ball after being on 2 fouls you are off your fouls. Maybe you just got confused.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Haha. Did you just make up that rule to see if anyone caught it? Of course that isn't a rule any tournament or match I've ever played. If you make 3 consecutive fouls you lose (as long as you were warned after 2). Of course if you make a ball after being on 2 fouls you are off your fouls. Maybe you just got confused.
That was a rule that a local TD pulled out of .... thin air. In a tournament. I was not the one that was confused -- just disappointed. It's hard to find good help.

Fuji-whopper

Fargo: 457...play some?
Silver Member
Wow thank you everyone for your 2 cents and then some, it's a friendly game so I'm never going to call the guy out on it regardless of the feedback I got here. If I'm going to play the game with him and other people I'd like to know the correct rules plus the rules that people play by, because sometimes those 2 lists don't completely coincide.

Neil

Lesh

One Hole Thinkifier
Silver Member
Mmmmm... yeah, the tappers.

We get one of those in the hall every once in a while. They don't last long. See, when someone comes in the hall and exhibits nitt-like behavior, such as no movement "shots", they get an eye-roll. It's sad, I know.... cuz as we all know, you get more than a few eye-rolls and you are done in any hall. No one plays you... ever... again. So it's not really an issue.

Regards,

Lesh

Fuji-whopper

Silver Member
Mmmmm... yeah, the tappers.

We get one of those in the hall every once in a while. They don't last long. See, when someone comes in the hall and exhibits nitt-like behavior, such as no movement "shots", they get an eye-roll. It's sad, I know.... cuz as we all know, you get more than a few eye-rolls and you are done in any hall. No one plays you... ever... again. So it's not really an issue.

Regards,

Lesh

Funny you say that, he just can't believe that I don't play one pocket seeing as how I beat him for a few dollars and am now spotting him and beating him for a few more dollars. We're not betting much by any means but he hasn't booked a winner yet, so in his eyes I am a one pocket machine even though everyone says I don't play the game and it's obvious by my horrible shot selection. His ego just won't let him see the forest for the trees, I feel a little sorry for him sometimes....but not too much =)

Neil

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
If it REALLY matters... the move is to jack up the cue, like a masse shot, and lower the tip onto the top of the ball, for a legal intentional foul.

Eric

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
It sounds like Dallas West is commentating with Billy Incardona? If so, I don't think he's playing too?

Eric

I'm pretty sure that's Nick Varner in the booth with Billy. If that's true then this might be Efren v. Sigel b/c I think Weenie Beanie did the commentary on the Reyes v West match.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm pretty sure that's Nick Varner in the booth with Billy. If that's true then this might be Efren v. Sigel b/c I think Weenie Beanie did the commentary on the Reyes v West match.

Yes, Bill Staton and Larry Schwartz commentated the Reyes/West match. Incardona and Varner were on the Reyes/Sigel match. Both are available from Accu-Stats.

Last edited:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If it REALLY matters... the move is to jack up the cue, like a masse shot, and lower the tip onto the top of the ball, for a legal intentional foul.

Eric

Might this apply (WPA rule)?

• 6.8 Push Shot

It is a foul to prolong tip-to-cue-ball contact beyond that seen in normal shots.

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
Might this apply (WPA rule)?

• 6.8 Push Shot

It is a foul to prolong tip-to-cue-ball contact beyond that seen in normal shots.

Im no rules expert but my guess is that , that rule might be more applicable if the cb moves.

Either way, the masse foul is different. It involves holding the cue in a masse-like position, then gently dipping the cue so the tip touches the top of the cb briefly.

Eric

Fuji-whopper

Silver Member
At this point it seems pretty clear of the rule, it's there but hardly enforced and won't fly if you're playing an International-level event....if there were such a thing for one pocket.

Neil