Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-03-07-19-06-41.png
    Screenshot_2019-03-07-19-06-41.png
    186 KB · Views: 424

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kozoom writes:

"The 3-cushion sport, with its hundreds of thousands of players, is under threat of a power grab by an announced new circuit."

Not too be too sarcastic, but I didn't realize this was an enterprise worth grabbing power away from in the first place.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
players should be allowed to play in any tournament they want
jmho
icbw

vasilios

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Breaking shackles !!! Good for him -
Let the elites keep holding their nose high and mighty -
Man should be able to play anywhere he wants and his main club support him -

bill

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Kozoom writes:

"The 3-cushion sport, with its hundreds of thousands of players, is under threat of a power grab by an announced new circuit."

Not too be too sarcastic, but I didn't realize this was an enterprise worth grabbing power away from in the first place.

Sounds like the ones who are currently in positions of power (UMB) in the Three Cushion world don't want any threat to their hold on the reigns, and they feel threatened by this new group from S. Korea (PBA) for some reason.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Korean billiards have had the biggest payouts in recent times with exception to the mcreery(umb)

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
With the lg cup and new survivor tournament paying 50k amd up for first place

And all streamed for free

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
For those who were not aware of it....

The top 14 professional 3-cushion players are automatically seeded into the last 32 of professional tournaments (World Cup events). In addition, they get their hotel and airfare paid for by the promoter. Three "wild card" players also get those benefits.

The UMB adds $85,000 to the prize fund per World Cup.

It can be argued that the UMB should not stand in the way of someone else running events, but if those events cause players to be absent at World Cups, the organizers of those World Cups will be disappointed that the top players are not there. With enough disappointment, those events disappear from the calendar.

The full regulations for UMB World Cups is here: http://files.umb-carom.org/Public/Rules/UMB_WC_Rules_2018.pdf

I don't know exactly what the problem is between the UMB and the Korean tour organizers but it seems in these political situations that the players always get caught in the middle.

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
Have to admit that I know nothing about this conflict, but I do know a lot more about contracts, and if the player and league enter into a contract together and part of that contract prohibits the player from playing in tournaments other than those approved by the UMB, then the league would be totally within their rights to enforce such a provision according to the terms of the existing contract...if no such contract exists or the existing contract does not include such a restriction, then they would have no such right.

If someone does not like the terms of a contract, then he should simply not enter into the contract, rather than enter into the contract and then decide to violate it. Of course there can be situations where a contract is voidable and/or unenforceable for a number of reasons, but other than those circumstances, breaking a contract simply because a better situation arises is legally and morally unacceptable.

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The UMB calendar is pretty sparse. They can't fit Korean events around that "packed" calendar of events? Is this Korean PBA strictly events in Korea?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The UMB calendar is pretty sparse. They can't fit Korean events around that "packed" calendar of events? Is this Korean PBA strictly events in Korea?
I think the UMB ranking events average about one per month since also on the calendar are national and continental championships which lead into the World Championship. Added are the World Team Championships, and several special events such as the NYC tournament and a few others. That comes to about 16 or 17 if a player played in all of them.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
I have no opinion other than everybody has to do what is right for them. If leaving is the right thing for him to do, then good for him.
Jason