Cuetec Cynergy Shaft Initial Impression and Review

kollegedave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Recently, I decided to try a carbon fiber shaft. After, studying everything I could find on the internet regarding each manufacturer of carbon shafts. I decided to order the Cuetec Cynergy. I thought I would write something about my thoughts behind deciding on the Cuetec, and provide people with my first impressions.

During my carbon fiber shaft “study period”, I found a few posts / reviews on the Revo wherein guys mentioned that they did not find the Revo’s taper (either version) to be comfortable. Their description of the taper was such that I believed I would not enjoy the taper and it would bother me. Also, the “Revo” pinging sound would drive me nuts. Additionally, my buddy had a Revo tip explode the second time he hit a ball with it, so the Revo was the first shaft eliminated.

I found mixed reviews on Jacoby. One guy on youtube purported to roll the shaft on a table right out of the box, and it rolled like a banana. I was not going to chance spending $500 on a shaft, and get a banana in the mail. Jacoby was out.

I could not find a Meucci shaft with a radial pin option online, so Meucci was out.

One reviewer online said the Beecue radial shaft was extremely loose on his aluminum radial pin. I have an aluminum radial pin in my cue, so Beecue was out.

I was down to Pechauer Rogue and Cuetec Cynergy. I was and am still very curious to try the Pechauer—both the 11.8 and the 12.5. The websites that carried the Pechauer claimed the 11.8 shaft had a “pro taper”, but I was skeptical. I do not like conical tapers, and I did not want to even chance getting anything resembling a conical taper, so I eliminated the 11.8, based purely on this suspicion that really skinny factory shafts tend to be conical--ish. So I was down to Cuetec Cynergy and Rogue 12.5. There are more reviews online regarding the Cuetec, and almost all of them are positive. What I could find about the Pechauer was positive, but there was a much smaller sample size. Thus, I ordered the Cuetec.

My thoughts on the Cuetec

1) It is quiet.

2) The tip that comes on it is different than what I am used to, but I like it. I use a VERY hard tip, so this tip seems “soft” to me, but its hardness rating is not low.

3) It is definitely easier to generate higher rates of spin with this shaft than my regular maple shafts.

4) I am not a low deflection veteran or connoisseur. However, to me, the deflection / squirt one experiences whilst using the Cuetec Cynergy is larger than I would have hoped for in a $400 “LD” shaft. However, in looking at deflection tests on youtube, it seems like the Cuetec deflection might be similar to a Predator 314 (more than Revo or Z3, but less than a standard maple shaft). For some, this might be desirable, as it may make switching to LD less of a shock.

5) On balance, I believe the Cuetec Shaft is a quality product, but I wonder if I should have ordered the Pechauer, as it might have lower deflection. I hope this helps someone that is considering taking the carbon fiber plunge. Of course, I am happy to hear about your experiences with a CF shaft, especially if you have a Pechauer.

kollegedave

Last edited:

RickLafayette

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I pretty much agree with your impressions. I am currently using the Cynergy. I started using CF with the initial introduction of the Revo but I couldn't get used to it's rising taper, especially with my shorter fingers. I tried the Cynergy with the pro taper and I really liked it. That became my new player shaft. Meucci was the first to come out with a CF, available in 11.75mm which is what I was using before CF. I tried the Meucci Carbon Pro and was initially impressed and thought I finally found my Holy Grail. But, the inside started rattling and I sent it back to Meucci. They replaced it with a 12.1mm and I figured they were having problems with the 11.75mm. I didn't like the new Meucci in 12.1 because it has a different characteristic. It "tinks" when you hit with it. It sounds like a CF break shaft with a phenolic tip (like playing with my BK Rush) even though it has a quality leather tip (Ultraskin medium).
So, I'm back to the Cuetec Cynergy and, happy with it. If Predator comes out with a Revo with a pro taper and a smaller than 13mm tip, that may be a game changer for me. (Note: Even though a lot of players do not like the lack of a white ferrule on the original Revo, that was never a problem for me)

One more observation: When you go from a wood shaft to a CF shaft, it makes the transition easier when you go to a softer tip than you played on your wood shaft due to the stiffness of the CF. That's the reason Predator went to the Victory soft for the Revo while using the Victory medium on their wood shafts.

Last edited:

Palmetto cue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I pretty much agree with your impressions. I am currently using the Cynergy. I started using CF with the initial introduction of the Revo but I couldn't get used to it's rising taper, especially with my shorter fingers. I tried the Cynergy with the pro taper and I really liked it. That became my new player shaft. Meucci was the first to come out with a CF, available in 11.75mm which is what I was using before CF. I tried the Meucci Carbon Pro and was initially impressed and thought I finally found my Holy Grail. But, the inside started rattling and I sent it back to Meucci. They replaced it with a 12.1mm and I figured they were having problems with the 11.75mm. I didn't like the new Meucci in 12.1 because it has a different characteristic. It "tinks" when you hit with it. It sounds like a CF break shaft with a phenolic tip (like playing with my BK Rush) even though it has a quality leather tip (Ultraskin medium).
So, I'm back to the Cuetec Cynergy and, happy with it. If Predator comes out with a Revo with a pro taper and a smaller than 13mm tip, that may be a game changer for me. (Note: Even though a lot of players do not like the lack of a white ferrule on the original Revo, that was never a problem for me)

One more observation: When you go from a wood shaft to a CF shaft, it makes the transition easier when you go to a softer tip than you played on your wood shaft due to the stiffness of the CF. That's the reason Predator went to the Victory soft for the Revo while using the Victory medium on their wood shafts.

I do cue repair, and it seems I have to change out the soft Victory for a lot of people when they first start to play with the CF shaft. They want something harder because they feel they are putting too much spin on the ball and can't control the cue ball. Just an observation from my area. I tell them of course the Victory will compact after more play, but nobody wants to wait on that to occur.

kollegedave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I forgot to include that almost every reviewer of the cynergy commented on the comfort of the taper. Based on my preference for a long taper, I thought I would appreciate the cynergy, as there was less info on the Pechauer taper. I thought there was some chance I would not like the Pechauer taper even if it wasn’t as obnoxious as the Revo; I was confident I could like the Cynergy. In my view, the Cynergy taper is very comfortable.

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
Everyone seems to hate/complain about the Sniper tip on the Cynergy...I didn't like it at first, but it cured really nice and I've gotten a huge amount of mileage out of it over the past 6 months. It plays really great. I'm still a milk dud fanatic, but I might have to think hard about it when it comes time to replace the tip.

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know why people keep talking about the sound of the hit as to being quiet, or pingy hit for some shafts when the majority of the sound is coming from the tip.

I've got two of the same shaft, one with lepro tip and the other with a soft sniper tip.

On the lepro it sound give a pingy sound which I like, as you shoot you will hear the sound "ting" or however you perceive this.

Then on the sniper tip the sound is very mute, and you feel like a sponge hit as you shoot.

So ya, please change the tip if you don't like the sound.

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
4) I am not a low deflection veteran or connoisseur. However, to me, the deflection / squirt one experiences whilst using the Cuetec Cynergy is larger than I would have hoped for in a $400 “LD” shaft. However, in looking at deflection tests on youtube, it seems like the Cuetec deflection might be similar to a Predator 314 (more than Revo or Z3, but less than a standard maple shaft). For some, this might be desirable, as it may make switching to LD less of a shock.

5) On balance, I believe the Cuetec Shaft is a quality product, but I wonder if I should have ordered the Pechauer, as it might have lower deflection. I hope this helps someone that is considering taking the carbon fiber plunge. Of course, I am happy to hear about your experiences with a CF shaft, especially if you have a Pechauer.

I play with Rogue 11.8 and have a few buddies that I shoot with all the time who have the Cynergy. We've all played with each other's cues (go ahead and laugh at the phrasing) enough to get a clear picture of the differences, so I can offer a little insight.

The Cynergy definitely deflects considerably less than a traditional maple shaft. It also deflects a little more than a Z3, or Rogue 11.8. Between the Rogue and the Z3 it's too close for any of us to pick a winner. But comparing the Cynergy and a traditional shaft it's clearly earning the "LD" designation.

The Cynergy feels and sounds like it hits harder than the Rogue 11.8, particularly with the stock Pechauer tip, which I found to be too mushy. I switched to a harder tip on my Pechauer and it feels great to me now. It's still quieter than the Cynergy, though; it seems like there's more effective vibration-damping. Not sure what aspect of the construction causes this, but it's noticeable.

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
Everyone seems to hate/complain about the Sniper tip on the Cynergy...I didn't like it at first, but it cured really nice and I've gotten a huge amount of mileage out of it over the past 6 months. It plays really great. I'm still a milk dud fanatic, but I might have to think hard about it when it comes time to replace the tip.

The first time I hit with a Cynergy (with the stock sniper) I loved the hit. So, to each their own I guess.

kollegedave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play with Rogue 11.8 and have a few buddies that I shoot with all the time who have the Cynergy. We've all played with each other's cues (go ahead and laugh at the phrasing) enough to get a clear picture of the differences, so I can offer a little insight.

The Cynergy definitely deflects considerably less than a traditional maple shaft. It also deflects a little more than a Z3, or Rogue 11.8. Between the Rogue and the Z3 it's too close for any of us to pick a winner. But comparing the Cynergy and a traditional shaft it's clearly earning the "LD" designation.

The Cynergy feels and sounds like it hits harder than the Rogue 11.8, particularly with the stock Pechauer tip, which I found to be too mushy. I switched to a harder tip on my Pechauer and it feels great to me now. It's still quieter than the Cynergy, though; it seems like there's more effective vibration-damping. Not sure what aspect of the construction causes this, but it's noticeable.

Thank's for the response on this. Given the positives I have with the Cynergy shaft, I think I am going to give it the 'ole college try. I am not sure getting a shaft with a little less deflection is worth $500.00 given that otherwise I am satisfied with the purchase. I think my previous maple shaft had lower deflection (for a maple shaft) and when I have played with "LD" cues it was almost always with a Z3 or Revo, so I think the deflection I experience with the Cynergy seems like a lot to me, but it might very well be a reduced amount or a "normal" amount for an LD shaft.

kollegedave

kollegedave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I am optimistic that the tip will grow on me.

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dave,

Great review! The last time I saw you at Dustin's you hit with the 314-2 and seemed to really like it. You were just drilling some hard shots on his Diamond.

I've hit with the Predator, Jacoby, and Cuetec CF shafts, and I liked the Cuetec the best, by far. The taper felt great and the hit was really good. Jacoby was a close second. I didn't care for the Predator. I like the 314-2 way better than the CF.

Again, all of this is subjective.

Just my .02! :) Hope all is well with you and your family.

Take care,
Matt

kollegedave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dave,

Great review! The last time I saw you at Dustin's you hit with the 314-2 and seemed to really like it. You were just drilling some hard shots on his Diamond.

I've hit with the Predator, Jacoby, and Cuetec CF shafts, and I liked the Cuetec the best, by far. The taper felt great and the hit was really good. Jacoby was a close second. I didn't care for the Predator. I like the 314-2 way better than the CF.

Again, all of this is subjective.

Just my .02! :) Hope all is well with you and your family.

Take care,
Matt

Thanx for the kind words.

I appreciate your input on those CF shafts. Did you get the sense that the Jacoby CF shafts has less deflection than the Cuetec? Just wondering. I wonder how the Cuetec CF compares with a "standard" low deflection shaft--some version of the 314, I guess. I don't feel like I have hit enough balls with a 314 to recall what it is like.

kollegedave

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
Hit and feel is definitely subjective for sure. Out of the 7 CF shafts I've tested I think the cynergy is the worst. Felt like a log to me.

7stud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The websites that carried the Pechauer claimed the 11.8 shaft had a “pro taper”, but I was skeptical.
I don't think it's that website's fault: Pechauer's own website doesn't seem to think that the taper is an important feature of their shafts. I was considering buying a Pechauer cue with one of their LD shafts, but I couldn't find any info a about the taper on their website, so I passed. It almost seems like Pechauer is intentionally hiding something. In any case, I find it inexplicably incompetent to omit the taper of their shafts on their website.

Last edited:

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
this is a post of buyers remorse more than a review. all I read was I wanna get the pechauer, but youll find that the magic of carbon fiber doesn't exist. its a stick with a leather tip, you have to learn how it plays just like a maple shaft, you still need to adjust for deflection regardless of LD properties, youre still hitting off center. shockingly, youll have to practice to get better.

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
Hit and feel is definitely subjective for sure. Out of the 7 CF shafts I've tested I think the cynergy is the worst. Felt like a log to me.

so you made a reference to wood. isn't that the feel theyre trying to create.? lol
whats a log feel?

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
so you made a reference to wood. isn't that the feel theyre trying to create.? lol
whats a log feel?

Didn't have any feedback for me. Felt like a dead hit. All the people that say they can't stand they way some of the hits sounds, that doesn't bother me in the slightest. Like everyone knows, it's all subjective to each individual. Everyone always talks about how awesome schon cues are, I always disliked their hit and feel. I honestly never thought I'd like any ld shaft or CF. I was always a custom cue guy with ivory joints and ferrules. Then as I was waiting for 4 custom cues I had on order I decided to give the Revo a go before I made fun of it and instantly fell in love.