is the schmidt record legit or not

Baby Huey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What really irks about the naysayers in this thread is that, If you don't care for John personally, fine, but he has been trying to break this special pool record for years. We have all either personally watched him run hundreds of balls hundreds of TIMES but after he broke Mosconi's record he somehow cheated or misrepresented his feat. I find it mean spirited and small. The fact that a skilled player could run hundreds of balls and when getting close to the record scratch off the break shot or get stuck behind a ball only to start again at ball number one. It takes a special type of person to take defeat over and over and then start at the bottom again. Let's just enjoy John's victory lap and maybe someone will break John's record and hopefully we will treat that person better than some have treated John.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What really irks about the naysayers in this thread is that, If you don't care for John personally, fine, but he has been trying to break this special pool record for years. We have all either personally watched him run hundreds of balls hundreds of TIMES but after he broke Mosconi's record he somehow cheated or misrepresented his feat. I find it mean spirited and small. The fact that a skilled player could run hundreds of balls and when getting close to the record scratch off the break shot or get stuck behind a ball only to start again at ball number one. It takes a special type of person to take defeat over and over and then start at the bottom again. Let's just enjoy John's victory lap and maybe someone will break John's record and hopefully we will treat that person better than some have treated John.

I think it's mean spirited and small to create artificially favorable conditions to break Mosconi's record... but that's just me.

Really, it's not unlike the guy who recently broke the marathon record on a day with perfect weather, a flat straight course, special shoes from Nike, and a rotating team of runners to run in front of him. No one is recognizing that run as a record.

Lou Figueroa

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
So I’ve seen one of these posts in each current 626T. It seems like a drive by attempt to make people believe that some kind of evidence of Tomfoolery has been brought to light �� is this the case or am I just misunderstanding the post? Which I admit is very possible.

None of this seems mean spirited to me, more of a testament to just how difficult a single, iconic 14.1 run was. That it took years of practice and culminated with months of dedicated playing with similar conditions. And they are similar as far as pool goes. Same size balls, pockets, table a little bigger, cloth faster, same skills required to complete the task. Get mad at the BCA if you want for having a record in the first place or for changing the name of the record holder. But I don’t get the attacks on JS.

It’s like some feel he stepped above his station to challenge a god or something. It’s crazy. The dude loves straight pool and he wanted to match or surpass an awesome run that happened once, and someone was willing to give him some cash if he did. Now he seems to be trying to make more cash and/or taking a spiteful stance because of all the BS surrounding the situation. He seems like kind of a whiney Bro from some tar podcasts and posts I’ve seen but I don’t really blame him here. He’s probably reading these and laughing his ass off

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

And people wonder why pool goes nowhere...well I don't wonder.