is the schmidt record legit or not

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Then don't call it an exhibition.
Call it a 14.1 run.
The main issues for me are that it is being called an exhibition record and that there was zero oversight. The business was closed for much of the run and if there were any witnesses to the complete run they were far from impartial.

This was clearly not an exhibition by any stretch of the imagination so the run if accepted needs to be labeled in a different manner. Videoed practice run? I suspect there is an issue with the video that might be an issue for organizations like Guinness. My understanding was that the camera was on a tripod. john's body probably hid some shots. A pool player watching might not care, a certification organization might.

In general practice if you exceed the RDA of supplements by some amount it is considered doping. That may be an issue for people like the Guinness folks too. I believe john entirely accidentally gave himself the mild sedative he needed to get past the yips. Massive doses of B-12 mellow you out short term, only give you energy in the longer term. Three days of massive B-12 supplements may indeed have benefited his performance just not in the way he hoped or expected.

All of the constant cleaning had the balls opening nicely. Can't help wondering if they had a little added help. It would be in keeping with the soft table and such. john himself said he realized time was running out for him to set a record. He might have been feeling a little desperate and have shaved the dice a bit there like the table. I have always felt that he and his buddies using a different set of balls than anyone else in high run competitions was BS.

Calling this an exhibition run or practice run indicates it could be played under any rules or no rules at all. Reminds me of when the billiards players first learned to jam balls in the corner and play the nurse shot. That and plastic balls and all of a sudden they were having runs over five hundred points.

I understand there is some interest on facebook. Some here too. Anybody hear any buzz in a pool hall or at events? I think in general this run is unaccepted or most people, even most pool players, just don't care.

To summarize: I think an exhibition run has to be set in an exhibition. I think there should be some minimal oversight of a record attempt so many of the questions with this run don't come up. While doping isn't illegal in pool, it may affect some organizations willingness to accept a record. I do think john would have been smarter to keep the supplements to himself. john probably ran the balls. Like some other high runs, I think the conditions this one was set under will keep it from being widely admired. Perhaps straight pool has became so irrelevant that people wouldn't care if a record was set in Times Square on New Year's Eve.

Hu

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He was talking about the specs of the table Mosconi ran 526 on...…

Far cry from regulation standards today.

Don't misunderstand me, Willie's ain't no good either. A signed witness letter doesn't mean anything when they agreed that a ball popping out of a pocket and landing on the floor is good. It was good because Willie said it was good, Sign Here!

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't misunderstand me, Willie's ain't no good either. A signed witness letter doesn't mean anything when they agreed that a ball popping out of a pocket and landing on the floor is good. It was good because Willie said it was good, Sign Here!

If you read that Letter to the Editor *carefully* you will read, right up front, the author of that letter say: “I’ve heard...” without attribution which means it is total hearsay and next to worthless. (Thanks, Bob Jewett.)

I could just as easily say I’ve heard JS played on a table with shaved slates, actually missed several balls but edited them out, and was fouling balls left and right.

But that wouldn’t be right, now would it.

Lou Figueroa
no, no
that wasn’t
a question

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No problem, Bob.

At least some of us care about facts and are not into rumor mongering ;-)

Lou Figueroa

A rather specific and odd thing to make up. Seems to have a ring of truth to it with other stories about Willie.

Last edited:

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
much more common then

A rather specific and odd thing to make up. Seems to have a ring of truth to it with other stories about Willie.

I can't remember the last time that happened to me. It was much more common when I first started playing though and balls falling out of pockets in need of repair was common too. If any balls hit the floor there would be a big difference between them popping up out of the pocket and hitting the floor or going into the pocket and falling through a hole and hitting the floor. In the first case I can't remember a ball ever credited, in the second case it always was.

Hu

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can't remember the last time that happened to me. It was much more common when I first started playing though and balls falling out of pockets in need of repair was common too. If any balls hit the floor there would be a big difference between them popping up out of the pocket and hitting the floor or going into the pocket and falling through a hole and hitting the floor. In the first case I can't remember a ball ever credited, in the second case it always was.

Hu

Good observation Hu. For some reason it happened to me a few times years ago when my Diamond was new (the pockets are hard and formed like a reverse ramp.) It happened to Mike Dechaine in a tournament (Turning stone?) as well. But I think a ball falling through a detached web of a leather drop pocket wouldn't need a comment, a ball popping up and OVER the pocket would.

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone thought to call the pool hall or John and ask about the time difference.
If they are only open to the public at 1:00 and I believe I read John started his run at 10am or 11am.

I too don't see how it's would be considered a public exhibition if the place is closed for half the time when the run is supposed to be happening, if that was even the case.

Last edited:

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
I will say this...

If you people don't quit bickering and figure out if John's run was legit or not I'm going to start a new thread on this run.

Cuebuddy>>>Everyday for the next 626 days.:p

Lou taught me this

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ihad someone who lived nearby and had known the the2 old timers to be good people say there is no doubt in his mind that the thing is legit

all this sophisticated questioning just talk, honest people saw it,recorded it which should be enough evidence in lieu of nothing no facts

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
witnesses

Ihad someone who lived nearby and had known the the2 old timers to be good people say there is no doubt in his mind that the thing is legit

all this sophisticated questioning just talk, honest people saw it,recorded it which should be enough evidence in lieu of nothing no facts

I haven't brought it up as a big issue but when the run was first announced it was claimed that four people had witnessed it start to finish. A few days later it was five people, then six, then eight. I guess the last two were a couple!

The witnesses included john's wife, the racker and his wife, the room owner, and I think his wife or someone working for him, maybe both. Claiming that anyone except maybe the racker watched every moment of this run is dubious at best. Remember this was number 1100 of his attempts according to an unbiased and somewhat scientific estimate.

Was anyone really glued to the table for one more attempt after so many failures? How did the number of witnesses double in size? Why were the owner and others involved in opening the business not getting the business ready to open instead of being glued to the table for yet another of the seemingly endless attempts? Did no customers come in wanting balls or coffee or the usual things?

Some of the people supposed to have witnessed the run from start to finish seem highly unlikely to have done so. My opinion, he has the video and perhaps one highly biased witness from start to finish, his racker. Every other witness is highly suspect when put to the standard of Willie Mosconi's run.

I don't know how many people watched Willie's run, I think thirty-seven or thirty-eight signed the affidavit that they had seen every moment of it. If that was out of sixty or more it is moderately plausible. If it was out of forty watchers I would be equally dubious about this claim, notarized affidavit and all. However, out of over three dozen claimers it is easy to believe some saw the run start to finish and that there were always impartial observers watching.

Willie had impartial witnesses. john has the video. If there is anything wrong with his video then the run becomes one more practice run, fairly meaningless in the scheme of things. Few know that Willie and others beat his official record. I bettered a world record unofficially, bettered it by a bunch. Not only did nobody else care, it means very little to me. A friend of mine did it when it mattered, the record is his! Right now despite the plaque john was given, any reasonable person would have to say the exhibition record is Willie's. The videoed practice record may be john's. Doesn't sound very good. Maybe the Video Record?

Hu

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Annnnnd were of to another 600+ post thread about the greatest pool achievement ever
Ever

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
not much happening!

Annnnnd were of to another 600+ post thread about the greatest pool achievement ever
Ever

Not much happening right now. I'd take the under for $50 if post count wasn't so easily manipulated but we need something else happening. With glenn having sense enough to stay out of things or locked away from keyboards the thread about him is dying. Worked out though, a MAN stepped up to the plate in a big way.

Now, not that it matters but was john wearing one of those foppish feminine colored shirts when his alleged record attempt took place? Shorts? Those silly childish looking shoe laces? Did he have shoe laces?

Sheeee-yeeee-yiiit, we are just getting warmed up!

Hu

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
does anyone but danny dispute the record

i got tired of reading the thread,but i am curious if any
reasonable doubt exist

Do you expect this thread to be any different than the one you got tired of reading? I don't see how it could be.

Jeff

Pete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John breaking a record with larger than regulation pockets is no different than someone breaking a free throw record with an enlarged hoop circumference. It wouldn't be recognized.

Serious question.

Were the pockets larger than the ones the Mosconi 526 was played on? I know the table was...