8 Ball or Last two?

BigAlbert333

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When matching up with someone who's slightly better than you, is it better to get the 8 ball or last two?

What's more in your favor or more likely to put more pressure on your opponent?

jackpot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the 8

The 8 is a bigger spot. You can win on the break and combinations'
jack.

boogeyman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When matching up with someone who's slightly better than you, is it better to get the 8 ball or last two?

If the difference IYO is less than a ball, then for sure, go for the last two.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
always the 8 is the better spot. and it gets better the worse both of you play. against good players it is almost no spot at all and an insult when offered..

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Take the

Take the last two, that spot will be there the whole game every game. If the guy giving you spot makes the 8 on the break or early in the game, the last two are still in play.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
Take the last two, that spot will be there the whole game every game. If the guy giving you spot makes the 8 on the break or early in the game, the last two are still in play.

The 8 ball is still a bigger spot than the last two.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
The last two is considered equal to the 8 safe (tie 8)...
...so take the 8

ghost ball

justnum survivor
Silver Member
Look man, if you are offered either the eight or last two, take the seven and the breaks, period, end of story.

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Getting the 8 ball is always a bigger spot than the last 2. Why? Because lots of times the 8 is one of the last 2 balls. You win either way. But also lots of times, the 8 ball can be made early. The last 2 doesn't give you this option. This is assuming that it spots if your opponent makes it on the break. If it counts on your break, even better. If it is wild and not called, even better.

Perhaps if you are a very low skilled player, for whom running 2 balls in 9 ball is rare, in that case the last 2 might be better. But for all C level and above players, the 8 ball would be a bigger spot.

Hope this helps,

KMRUNOUT

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
Not even close. 8 is much better to get. Ball in hand gives you two possible balls to combo for the win. As mentioned before the higher the skill level the less a spot means. To maximize spot you should be playing more safeties with an eye towards getting ball in hand. Making a couple of early combo's will generally get into an opponents head.

A good tactic after the break is to push safe and roll the 8 in front of a pocket. Now the heat is on for him. With last two all you get is not having to make the 9.

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
Last two isn't much of a spot in my opinion. Sounds like you'd be better off asking for the 8 and the last two.

LGSM3

Jake<built cues for fun
Silver Member
If your asking this question then u should probably be asking for at least the 7

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was playing a slightly better player getting the 8 in 9 ball.
I was way ahead and he says take the last 2 or i quit.
I figured why not I'm gambling with his money.
I lost his money back to him and some of my own.
The 8 is always better.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was playing a slightly better player getting the 8 in 9 ball.
I was way ahead and he says take the last 2 or i quit.
I figured why not I'm gambling with his money.
I lost his money back to him and some of my own.
The 8 is always better.
Huh? What % of games with the 8 ended early?

I think that in mid-hi 9p% of games played, the 8 ends up being the 'last 2' money ball.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Huh? What % of games with the 8 ended early?

I think that in mid-hi 9p% of games played, the 8 ends up being the 'last 2' money ball.

I don't remember how it went down.
It was in the mid '80's.
the guy played pretty good.
he had a 9th and 12th place back to back finish in the U.S. open.

RobMan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some time ago, someone told me that the spots received would go like this (worst to best):

Last 2
Call 8
Wild 8
Last 3
Call 7
Wild 7
Last 4
Call 7&8
Wild 7&8
Call 6
Wild 6
etc etc