Rules question regarding weight of cue.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Less weight like I stated isn't actually what matters, it's mass.
Bob pointed out above that they're essentially the same thing.

But under this application (pool), whatever reference material you use, if you use less of it, then you have less inertia. You can of course modify a cue to have less mass and be less accurate, but you'd have to intentionally do that. The more inertia you hit something with, the more chance you give it to deviate (I'm not a physicist, but apparently there maybe exceptions). Again, arrows are typically aluminum now for this very reason. Of course you could use light as an example too (apparently light has about a 50% physical part to it). Firearms also fit in this category, along with CNC machines and paint brushes.
I'm pretty sure none of this makes physical sense.

pj
chgo

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Force = mass (weight) x acceleration.

It's funny. just convert weight (lbs) to mass (kilograms) on earth and it will work out fine.

As a definition, weight already includes the acceleration of gravity in the number. So weight is directly a force that includes mass x acceleration. Hence your weight can be measured with a spring scale, and depends on what local gravity is. Say lighter on the moon.

Your mass is compared to a known mass, on a balance scale, and will be the same on the moon.

So what happens if you compare weights on a balance on the moon? Same results, essentially. But physicists don't like it. :smile:

F = m x a; or, F= W x a/g

Your equating weight to force, it doesn't work like that...

Yes, it does. Weight, by definition, is force.

But as most of this post has outlined, the definitions don't have much application to practical pool shooting on earth.

smt

Last edited:

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is a "language problem" on earth, but the definitions are different.

You forced me to check my aged memory, here some online stuff:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slug_(unit)

We're more or less both saying that the result is the same "it has no practical consequence for pool on earth"

smt

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
I checked with the VNEA and they don't have rules for the weight of a cue.
BCA is 25 oz. max.

I looked into the rules because I use my old Judd jump break that extends out to 73", 26.35 oz.
Although I use it for long reach shots, I also break with it.
When I take it out for a long reach shot I start hearing..."is that legal?"

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Since I had some spare time:frown:, here's a plot of how fast the cue ball will be moving versus hand speed for various cue weights. The calculations assume the cue ball weighs 6 ounces and the tip/shaft lose no energy. If the tip is not perfect, just reduce all the ball speeds by the same percentage. Hard tips are generally more perfect than soft tips.

Scan20200323.jpg

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Similarly, I'm not sure why there's a 25-ounce maximum since I don't see how going to even 40 is going to significantly change how the cue hits the ball compared to 20 ounces.

The 24 oz limit was put in to prevent using some of the heavier Massé cues in competition.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The world of pool is a joke now.

People worrying about how light, heavy, or long a pool cue should be.

Back when I was growing up, the only thing we worried about was how fat and heavy your wallet was, how light we could make it, and how long it would take to do it.

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The world of pool is a joke now.

People worrying about how light, heavy, or long a pool cue should be.

Back when I was growing up, the only thing we worried about was how fat and heavy your wallet was, how light we could make it, and how long it would take to do it.
I'v seen you ask lots of questions in my time here, things such as wood combinations for the bLack beauty(ebony into ph), or butt diameters. So wood combination and how it effects hit is a valid question but a question about weight of a cue is a joke, lmao... Ok my guy. Party on.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'v seen you ask lots of questions in my time here, things such as wood combinations for the bLack beauty(ebony into ph), or butt diameters. So wood combination and how it effects hit is a valid question but a question about weight of a cue is a joke, lmao... Ok my guy. Party on.

I didn't mean your question was a "joke".

I meant the "state of pool" is a joke when they have archaic rules that don't make sense and the powers that be don't change or update them.

Such as:

What is a 26 ounce cue going to do for you that at 25 ounce cue won't?

What is a 70 inch cue going to do for you if your arms are too short to use it?

What is a 16mm tip going to do for you that a 14mm won't? Do you plan on playing masse pool or regular pool?

Etc, etc, etc.

I think you should have only one cue at the table and you have to do everything with it. No specialty cues (i.e., break, jump, masse).

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I didn't mean your question was a "joke".

I meant the "state of pool" is a joke when they have archaic rules that don't make sense and the powers that be don't change or update them.

Such as:

What is a 26 ounce cue going to do for you that at 25 ounce cue won't?

What is a 70 inch cue going to do for you if your arms are too short to use it?

What is a 16mm tip going to do for you that a 14mm won't? Do you plan on playing masse pool or regular pool?

Etc, etc, etc.

I think you should have only one cue at the table and you have to do everything with it. No specialty cues (i.e., break, jump, masse).

My appologies, misinterpreted what you were going for with your post.

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dr. Dave discussed this before, here is a link if interested.
View attachment 544391
This was also a great read, although a different sport(cricket),
http://www.physics.usyd.edu.au/~cross/cricket.html

I am not to concerned with the pluses and minuses so much, played with a heavy cue most my life, grew up playing on old tables with slow cloth and dead rails. Spent the last year or so trying to get accustomed to a lighter cue, just isn't for me.

25 oz, 11mm conical taper, 57inches, and forward weighted is what I prefer, probably not many like me who would enjoy those specs.

Wow I am a 18oz or below guy. I am not sure how I would react to that cue tough the small diameter wouldn't bother me. I played once with a solid ebony cue (including the shaft) that was that heavy or greater and had like a 13.5 mm tip. To say that cue was stiff is a great understatement. I amazed that the owner could make a ball. He was a decent player but could not draw the ball more than like an inch. After I tried it I understood why

nickgeo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cue weight, schmoo weight....

Is there a limit on the weight of your hand? Just put on a few really big 18kt gold rings and you can easily add a few ounces to the cue-hand system.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How many ass weights can you wear before it is illegal?

How much tape can you wrap around your hand before it is illegal? Just a little bit or can you do it "mummy style"?

If you are shorter than your opponent, can you put a "foot stool" beside the table so make things "even"?

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's a completely biased opinion... nobody should shoot heavier than a 18oz, nobody is that bad.

Heck, I am not in disagreement, plus I look at all the lovely cues in the for sale section and obviously none are that heavy.

Don't bother thinking it, know it and expect no exceptions I took one of those little $30 food scales to a hall once, none of the 12"weighed less than 6.3oz. I've resorted to 3D printing my 12" extension for that exact reason.

FYI, if/when you 3D print you're extension, if you have to also print a butt extension, use PET-G or ASA. ABS, PLA, TPU all shrink just enough to let the adapter threads slip (TPU is fun if you like a dead hit, that soft stuff absorbs so much).
I'd love to see some pictures if time permits, and we are all locked down, so I am expecting some pics :smile:

In theory, you are supposed to reach out to your NGO rather than the WPA.
I googled NGO, I have no clue what that was and nothing related to pool came up, can you clarify?

Unless somebody has a scale at the tournament, how would anybody really know the weight?

Several years ago I think Earl stated his cue was something like 29 ounces when he was using the super long cue. I don't remember anybody telling him to stop using it.
I thought his super long cue was actually light, I am not sure how that would work, you are likely right.

Normally that is done by calibration traceable to the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), but in a case like that it's whatever the TD says.

Bob <-- who used to use instruments with NIST-traceable calibration every day
That is quite interesting Bob, I got licensed last year to grow hemp through my state's department of agriculture. I have been trying to get a handle on thin layer chromatography, but I think a high quality micro scale would help in more accurate readings. I was surprised how costly a good one is, any recommendations?

It is as plain as the nose on your face.

25 ounces maximum......not 25.5 ozs or 26, nor 27 ozs or
any assembled cue weighing more than 708.7375 grams.

1 ounce = 28.3495 grams x 25 and not a single gram more.
I don't think it's quite that simple,

As a cue builder, what would be the lightest we could get a 6" extension and what wood would you choose?

I checked with the VNEA and they don't have rules for the weight of a cue.
BCA is 25 oz. max.

I looked into the rules because I use my old Judd jump break that extends out to 73", 26.35 oz.
Although I use it for long reach shots, I also break with it.
When I take it out for a long reach shot I start hearing..."is that legal?"
I can only imagine, heck them people who call foul when the ball is almost in the hole and you don't call it or place a chalk, whatever.

Since I had some spare time:frown:, here's a plot of how fast the cue ball will be moving versus hand speed for various cue weights. The calculations assume the cue ball weighs 6 ounces and the tip/shaft lose no energy. If the tip is not perfect, just reduce all the ball speeds by the same percentage. Hard tips are generally more perfect than soft tips.

View attachment 544421

Wow I am a 18oz or below guy. I am not sure how I would react to that cue tough the small diameter wouldn't bother me. I played once with a solid ebony cue (including the shaft) that was that heavy or greater and had like a 13.5 mm tip. To say that cue was stiff is a great understatement. I amazed that the owner could make a ball. He was a decent player but could not draw the ball more than like an inch. After I tried it I understood why
I wouldn't recommend the heavy cue to folks, just something I grew up using and feels comfortable, my game did go down as soon as I switched to a lighter cue, after about a year, changed back to the heavy cue and was shooting instantaneously better. Maybe it's some stroke flaw, Dr. Dave did say a heavier cue can keep everything more in line.

Is there a limit on the weight of your hand? Just put on a few really big 18kt gold rings and you can easily add a few ounces to the cue-hand system.
LOL, I'd be looking like a pimp.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I googled NGO, I have no clue what that was and nothing related to pool came up, can you clarify?...
Too many acronyms (TMA). Should have been NGB for National Governing Body which in the US for pool is the Billiard Congress of America (BCA and not the BCAPL).

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Originally Posted by Ssonerai View Post

smt
As a cue builder, what would be the lightest we could get a 6" extension and what wood would you choose?

since my comments were about physics definitions, not sure why i am in the hot seat :D

Nonetheless, and restating my amateur credentials, i don't think mass or stiffness has appreciable positive use in an extension. In fact, since most people seem to prefer some forward weight, the less weight the better. Convenient that this also helps stay legal with current regs.

Now, i have not yet built an extension, but am thinking about one for the cue i just finished. For quick,cheap,practical, I'm inclined to go in to the library (after they open again) and print one out as another post described.

If the plague goes on for a "long"? time; i may experiment with a hollow fir or spruce tube, possibly veneered with wood to match the cue. I sometimes make airplane parts, so lightness with strength is appealing. Carbon fiber would be obvious, for those willing to work with it. I'd have to weigh some aluminum tube to see where that falls; if there are any sizes close to my cue butt diameter.

smt