Why the rule against jump cues?

BamaFan

I have noticed that some tournaments are outlawing jump cues. Is to prevent possible equipment damage? Almost every pro has a jumper and can it use effectively, so it can't be a fairness call. So what is the reason?

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you talking about professional or regional events?

I would say that there was a time before jump cues. Kicking was a critical skill. It still is, but jump cues have diminished that some. And there are people that cut their teeth in the pre-jump cue era. They have an appreciation for that style of competition. Some of them are players. Some are tournament directors. And so it follows, if it’s your event it gets to run your way. So whether they opt for no jump cues due to tradition or perhaps concern for their equipment, it’s their prerogative.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Woof Biscuit

and gravy
Silver Member

I would say that there was a time before jump cues. Kicking was a critical skill. It still is, but jump cues have diminished that some. And there are people that cut their teeth in the pre-jump cue era. They have an appreciation for that style of competition. Some of them are players. Some are tournament directors. And so it follows, if it’s your event it gets to run your way. So whether they opt for no jump cues due to tradition or perhaps concern for their equipment, it’s their prerogative.

I agree with this and think they should be banned. The only exception may be if you're the incoming player and your opponent accidentally hooks you. Your jump cue should not be able to get you out of playing bad position and a well played safety. I hate them and I'm good at using one.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It becomes too easy. A lot of people rave about some of the men with jump cues, but really pay attention to Allison Fisher, it should have never became this easy.

DJKeys

Sound Design
Silver Member
I personally think that jumping should be legal as long as you use your playing cue to do it-

-dj

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have noticed that some tournaments are outlawing jump cues. Is to prevent possible equipment damage? Almost every pro has a jumper and can it use effectively, so it can't be a fairness call. So what is the reason?

They make jumping too easy so they ban them to make the game more professional and challenging.

The damage to equipment is based on the pool hall they play in so if there is a house rule about jumping that is taken into consideration. I have seen pool hall owners/managers allow jumping exceptions for tournaments based on the tournament director and the players knowing what they are doing. Normally they keep the no jumping or masse rule in place so bad players don't try it or just shoot stupid shots that can damage stuff.

Also keep in mind that jumping in general is not the same thing as jump cues, it seems a lot of people stick them together like it's the same thing. If it was only jump cues that were not allowed then it would not be due to damage to the cloth or anything since jumping will a full size cue will be the same thing.

Last edited:

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Some Bars use to not replace the cloth on their tables until it was dust, so many said no jumping to increase cloth life. It's about dollar & cents.

People who jump property do not tear up cloth, because they do it right.

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
If the cue manufacturers couldn't get $500.00 for a $40 worth of stuff with a hard tip it would have been banned years ago. This is a case where the dollars outweigh common sense. Kind of like cigarette money that was injected into motor racing in the 70s & 80s. One day we will wake up.

I'm all for innovation but the game was never meant to be played airborne. What if someone developed a cue that even the weakest player could break the balls at 40MPH? Somethings need to be done on this topic. "Hey you can go practice your jumping is not the answer".

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fear, lack of skill and/ or too poor to afford a jump cue.

That's my story and I might stick to it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200324-121643.jpg
    Screenshot_20200324-121643.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 350

lakeman77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We've all seen cloth ripped by jump cues, good players may not do it but you can't say only players at a certain level can use jump cues. I get why room owners would rather they weren't used.

Keith E.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with this and think they should be banned. The only exception may be if you're the incoming player and your opponent accidentally hooks you. Your jump cue should not be able to get you out of playing bad position and a well played safety. I hate them and I'm good at using one.

Well, let's go back to no leather tips on all cues. You sneaky types better not even think about chalking the end of that wooden cue.

Keith

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We've all seen cloth ripped by jump cues, good players may not do it but you can't say only players at a certain level can use jump cues. I get why room owners would rather they weren't used.

I have never seen cloth ripped from a jump cue.

The only time I have seen the cloth rip on a table was from a fight. Guys watch or something ripped it.

Not having newbies jump or masse' is a good rule.

The reason some tournaments don't allow them is
because some old fuddy duddy heard Earl spout off
about jump cues and thinks it's the word of the Lord.

These kids today need their jump cues because they dont
know how to kick.
Jumping with a full cue, now that's how a man does it!

Its all bs.
Full cue cannot be used on short jumps.
All pros kicked like a 1st grader at some strip mall
karate school before Efren and Parica forced them to learn.

Jumping is as much a skill as any other shot.
Playing safe is much more difficult when a guy
knows how to jump and so they pout about jump
cues when their cueball control isn't good enough.

jason

Unprofessional everything
Silver Member

I agree with this and prefer the more difficult kicking game. That being said, my jump game sucks. :)

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"...pros kicked like a 1st grader at some strip mall
karate school before Efren and Parica forced them to learn."

Winning.

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
Ask Jimmy Mataya if you have an hr or so!
Or "Earl" Rogan! You'll be "pleased as punch!"
......Ban ear buds / head phones too!

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I totally get the argument against jump cues.

They make it much easier to get out of a safe and drastically increases the likelihood of being able to actually make a ball from it even. It changes the game.

Now, that being said, I like jumping and jump cues. I have a nice jump cue that makes it super easy to jump and so I'm fairly good at it. And I'm not very good at kicking. I can get by in some cases but give me a tough long kick and I'm probably 50/50 at best to get a hit. Give me a jump with at least a decent gap of 4-5" in front of me and I'm probably more like 70/30 or 80/20 on getting a hit and if it's a clear shot to a pocket a reasonable chance of making it.

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
here! because it might break my acrylic top (table bed), up at the house of 10 Diamond's
was because, sounded like, tears up the cloth, balls coming off the table, then,
add in all the practicing to not tear up the cloth, knocking balls off the table.

It also could be that idle, not in use jump sticks become more valuable as a memory, immemorial.
They're not making them anymore, are they?

Recently, a jumper... well, back in the day of non-distancing, said jumper was called out
'can't do that!', said jumper had one of those eat** grins, regroups, puts down a masse for the win.
I think the jumper received more applauds on that one than the cringe from some and grins from others on a good jump.

oh, I noticed again, the banner ad for the china expo, anybody going, sounds like they're back at it...

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Ultimately, the question is why we ever allowed jump cues in the first place.

The idea that one should play with a single cue remained unchallenged until the nine ball era, in which it became understood that the firm break could both compromise one's cue and could cause structural damage to its tip. So, it then became allowable, and in vogue, for nine ball players to carry a second cue.

Jumping, however, should have been disallowed from the start. In a chat I had with Allen Hopkins about 30 years ago, he opined that the rules of pool disallow a scoop, adding that most jumps executed with a jump cue were, in his view, fouls under the rules. Jumping without scooping, Allen offered, was something only a handful could do with any consistency. Earl Strickland, Sammy Jones and Johnny Archer were the first among the few who were capable. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em, right? Some players realized that if they broke down their playing cue and used the shaft only, that jumping wasn't difficult at all, and this was one of many reasons that more than a few worked on developing a specialty short cue that would facilitate executing the jump shot, and the jump cue was born. It was a big moneymaker for cue designers, and for that reason, it's future was all but assured. So now, it was in vogue for the serious nine baller to carry three cues, a playing cue, a break cue and a jump cue.

No doubt, some reason to carry a fourth cue will arrive eventually. Some own what's called a masse cue, a specialty cue designed specifically for executing the masse shot, but the rules forbid carrying a fourth cue. The day may come when a caddy will be needed, just as in golf, to tote around one's cues from table to table.

As a sport, pool dogged it when it first allowed the jump cue, the use of which requires skill, but to me, the creative use of billiard knowledge is an area of great majesty in our game, and the jump cue has robbed us of some of that majesty.

The jump cue is here to stay, but those who prefer to run tourneys without them should be respected for their choice. The disallowance of the jump cue at the Derby City Classic is one reason it is such a fine event, and as exciting as any event held in the United States, completely destroying the myth proposed by some that pool is less exciting without the jump cue.

Live and let live.

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The idea that one should play with a single cue remained unchallenged until the nine ball era, in which it became understood that the firm break could both compromise one's cue and could cause structural damage to its tip. So, it then became allowable, and in vogue, for nine ball players to carry a second cue.

Jumping, however, should have been disallowed from the start. In a chat I had with Allen Hopkins about 30 years ago, he opined that as the rules of pool disallow a scoop, adding that most jumps executed with a jump cue were, in his view, fouls under the rules. Jumping without scooping, Allen offered, was something only a handful could do with any consistency. Earl Strickland, Sammy Jones and Johnny Archer were the first among the few who were capable. If you can't beat 'em, join 'm, right? Some players realized that if they broke down their playing cue and used the shaft only, that jumping wasn't difficult at all, and this was one of many reasons that more than a few worked on developing a specialty short cue that would facilitate executing the jump shot, and the jump cue was born. It was a big moneymaker for cue designers, and for that reason, it's future was all but assured. So now, it was in vogue for the serious nine baller to carry three cues, a playing cue, a break cue and a jump cue.

No doubt, some reason to carry a fourth cue will arrive eventually. Some own what's called a masse cue, a specialty cue designed specifically for executing the masse shot, but the rules forbid carrying a fourth cue. The day may come when a caddy will be needed, just as in golf, to tote around one's cues from table to table.

As a sport, pool dogged it when it first allowed the jump cue, the use of which requires skill, but to me, the creative use of billiard knowledge is an area of great majesty in our game, and the jump cue has robbed us of some of that majesty.

The jump cue is here to stay, but those who prefer to run tourneys without them should be respected for their choice. The disallowance of the jump cue at the Derby City Classic is one reason it is such a fine event, and as exciting as any event held in the United States, completely destroying the myth proposed by some that pool is less exciting without the jump cue.

Live and let live.
I've watched the Filipino's beat the world for years and probably haven't seen 5 jump-shots the whole time. Kicking is an art/skill that most people just won't take the time to learn. I too am a fan of DCC's approach. Jump? No problem just use your playing cue.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Jumping, however, should have been disallowed from the start. In a chat I had with Allen Hopkins about 30 years ago, he opined that as the rules of pool disallow a scoop, adding that most jumps executed with a jump cue were, in his view, fouls under the rules. Jumping without scooping, Allen offered, was something only a handful could do with any consistency. Earl Strickland, Sammy Jones and Johnny Archer were the first among the few who were capable. If you can't beat 'em, join 'm, right? Some players realized that if they broke down their playing cue and used the shaft only, that jumping wasn't difficult at all, and this was one of many reasons that more than a few worked on developing a specialty short cue that would facilitate executing the jump shot, and the jump cue was born. It was a big moneymaker for cue designers, and for that reason, it's future was all but assured. So now, it was in vogue for the serious nine baller to carry three cues, a playing cue, a break cue and a jump cue.

Live and let live.

https://youtu.be/C8zXzUVnEtQ
This is a scoop?

Playing tighter safes to limit your opponent from
being able to jump has lead to far better kicking today, as
well as creative shots to escape. But, I do understand your point.

Most of my first post was a poor attempt at humor.

I could care less what a promoter decides.
Jump cue/no jump cue, it's all just pool to me.