How many cues? Why so many?

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a conversation with Jerry Franklin
I was interested in the why behind his great playing cues
and such stuff

he told me that his migt be a little too stiff at the time

when i appeared interested ,he continued about the pluses and minuses of various tapers etc

He summarized that no one cue is absolutely the best for every shot that a good player might shoot

he thought there might come a day when players would carry more than one cue so he could hit one shot with this cue another with that

In the mean time he concluded that it was best to just learn to play with the one cue and make the neccessary adjustments

as far as collecting goes,I was told the average businessman owns 6 watches, most collection threads seem to me
a silly way for guys who either don't want to collect and own fine art or jabs at the guys who know what they like and do it

I enjoy ferriting out the best cues and selling them to people that like them

Over the years I would be rich if I held on to the good ones. but that wasn't what made me happy.
Not saying I don't wish now that I had those cues back,then I could sell them again and be happier

I have noticed Alex switch cues for different shots,I don't know if anyone else does

Last edited:

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Twelve years ago I moved into my new retirement home. It had the room so a table went into the basement. It had been forty years since I had last played or owned a cue. Then I though, I can afford it, I'm buying a nice cue, not like that POS aluminum cue from the '60's.

Then a few cues later I find I really like (feel) wrapless cues work better for me. So I don't use the more expensive pretty ones with bits of ivory in them. I don't collect cues, I just don't know how to post photos, so I don't sell them because I don't need the money.

Then frustration sets in because I find I really like Sneaky Pete cues. And a bit more frustration because the best I've ever played was with a $200. production sneaky. So there's some cheap shit cues in a rack for friends to use and good players or more expensive cues in cases hidden on top a book shelf so friends don't use. And that's the way it is.

And yes, I know if I could B/S good enough sales could be made without photos. But I wouldn't buy unseen, so I won't sell either.

JazzboxBlues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve had a handful of cues over the years. Most notable were 4 Southwest, one being my main player for my first round of playing pool. A JossWest and some others. I’ve always have liked sneakies. For my comeback to pool my player right now is a Josey ebony/bem sneaky. I also carry a Scruggs sneaky. Other sneakies I’ve owned were a second Josey, Blue Grass and a Jim Buss. I guess I just like cues. I’ve been eyeing up something else and I’m getting close to pulling the trigger. Plus the right sneaky always grabs my attention.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Last edited:

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Having owned near 50 in my life, about 25 at once. 30 "good" cues and maybe 20 off brand junk.
I'm down to 3 cues that are solid players although I'm using the Pechauer mainly for breaking.
Rick Howard, Pechauer, and a Schmelke Bocote true sneaky with a dull matte finish that is incredible!

Last edited:

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I own five cues.

Two custom cues from great cuemakers. They are my favorite playing cues.

Two modest custom cues that I use for league play.

One sneaky that I have owned for almost 30 years and don't see a reason for selling.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry I’m just a curious sob that can and does stick his foot in his mouth

Do you use different cues for different tables or games? Do you set them up differently as far as tips and radius?

I take more of a boy scout approach of being prepared for as many scenarios as possible. Tips fall off, shafts get cracked, cues get stolen, etc. I am from the "better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it " mentality

I have 3 from the same company. The shafts are all interchangeable on the butts.

I have a wrapless paired with a 12.5 mm, 30 inch LD shaft (favorite)
I have a wrapped paired with a 11.75 mm , 30 inch LD shaft In case of high heat/humidity and my hands get sweaty.
I have a Jump/Break combo with standard maple shaft and phenolic tip
I carry an extra, standard maple shaft in my case.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
First, let me start off by saying that I am the type of person that once I buy something, unless it's absolutely a POS, I will not sell/trade it.

For this reason I have around 24 cues (and 7 cases), 20+ rod and reels, and over 30 of various firearms.

As far as the cues go, I just kept buying cues until I found "the one". My Vigus cue is my main playing cue, but the many more I have are all playable cues that get used here at home on a rotating basis.

Rods and reels? Well, I just went stupid on those. Kept buying reels the more ball bearings they put in them. I wishy-washied back and forth on what length rods I preferred. Once again, all that I have are all good, usable equipment, but there are 5 or 6 that I mostly use. Heck, I still have and sometimes use the original 5'6" Lightning Rods.

Firearms? Well that's a longer story. My dad was a huge firearm hobbyist/competitor/gunsmith, so I natural gravitated into that from an early age. Started getting my own firearms in my early twenties and the next thing you know I've got three gun safes in the house along with another one down in the hunting cabin. I bought some, then inherited some more. Where I messed up was when I built (from parts) an AR-15 it was so much fun and satisfying that I ended up building them in various configurations so that each of my grandkids could inherit one someday. So....one of my gun safes is full of AR's.

I don't see a problem with having more sporting equipment than necessary, as long as one can afford it and gets some use out of it all. I don't buy anything for collecting (but I did inherit a Colt U.S. Army model 1911 that was manufactured in 1912), but I have no problem with people who do acquire things to collect. And....having too much is better than not having enough, IMO.

Maniac

Jimbojim

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool cue history:

Cuetec -> Connoisseur -> Custom cue -> Custom Cue -> Mezz(current)

surffisher2a

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well technically I own about 14 cues, however most of them are just house cues for people to use. I got an old Viking from the early 90's that was my playing cue until this year. I got an old severely warped J&J that was my first cue ever so I have not got rid of it yet. I got a POS jump cue that I used before I got my Jacoby jumper, also have two different break cues. Plus i have my current playing cue. Sorry no custom fancy stuff here to brag about. Maybe one day.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
Custom cues are like crack for poolplayers.
Not every poolplayer is addicted, in fact most are not, but even they like to look.
Something about a nice shiny new custom cue, or a cool vintage cue that make some people crazy.

For instance I recently picked up a nine point South West cue and told a friend about it.
Told him the cue was not going to be for sale for a while.
Without warning he came knocking on my door and even left work to come see the 9-pointer.
Trades trades trades