Is it "Cheap" to Sand Down Cubes of Master Chalk ?

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree, in my old days, I HATED old chalk. I would always try and find a good piece of chalk at the counter. Never stole any either. Now, I my chalk is used maybe a couple of months before I use a new one. I should sell my slightly used ones, they are perfectly fine, and maybe worn down 10% only. I just like grabbing a new box out of the basement every few months to throw in my case.
Problem with your Magic chalk is that, for me, it lasts forever, so I so rarely have break out a new piece. I can get a number of months of playing out of one piece, and that's chalking up virtually every shot. When it wears down, I sand it just a little, add another penny in my chalk holder (between the bottom of the chalk and the magnet in order to raise up the chalk in the rubber sleeve) and keep going.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you have a bandsaw? Line up a bunch of chalks in a line, send them through that way. I would think it is much faster than using sandpaper.

I would guess you need a sharp and thin blade to cut through the chalk without crumbling it.

jacob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know a cuemaker that swears the bottom half of the chalk is better. He takes a new piece of chalk and cuts it in half, uses the bottom half, and throws away the top half! You will get more use out of the "good half" of the chalk by sanding it down like you describe.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Being frugel is not a crime, I have been know to sand down my Chalk, it get the most life out of a cube of Chalk.

Unless someone is supplying you with your Chalk do not listing to anyone else.

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member

Attachments

• Chalk.jpg
    Chalk.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 229

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use it evenly across all four edges and gradually cut the paper back. See my account avatar. My chalk lasts until it's almost completely gone. :smile:

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I use it evenly across all four edges and gradually cut the paper back. See my account avatar. My chalk lasts until it's almost completely gone. :smile:

Your Ava. I thought that was from Phantom of the Opera

AlienObserver

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm astonished by the replies in this thread...

I too like not having a hole in the chalk that messes up the ferule. I usually chalk using the side of my chalk, so it doesn't have a hole like a well used pool room chalk, but sometimes the edges aren't used that much so I sand down the edges once in a while.

But I've never threw away a piece when having used only 20% of it. Not so much for the money, but I don't understand why would you throw out something that is still perfectly usable? It's not like say you get a new smartphone before the old one dies, the new one should do something better than the old one, so the switch is justifiable. But pool chalk?? What does the new one does better than a sand down used one?? Is this why you missed a ball? Was it the sand down chalk??

The only reasonable excuse I can think of (and used it in the past to throw a piece away) is if humidity gets to the chalk and changes the effectiveness (and I can accept even the change in feel when you apply it to the tip as a good enough reason to get a new one.) Then yeah, throw it away, even if it has 95% left, no reason to keep it if it doesn't do the job properly.

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know a cuemaker that swears the bottom half of the chalk is better. He takes a new piece of chalk and cuts it in half, uses the bottom half, and throws away the top half! You will get more use out of the "good half" of the chalk by sanding it down like you describe.

Chalk absorbs moisture over time. The bottom half is not exposed to the atmosphere while sitting around in boxes so it may be marginally better. My game is the same...chalk, magic chalk, no chalk..no tip makes no difference I am so bad:D

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I save all the little pieces of bar soap in my shower and mold them together into a new small bar.
After about a year I save something.
Am I cheap ?

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Pool chalk is not the most efficient accessory in the poolroom. Over the years I've generally been spoiled to the extent that I throw away pieces of Master chalk when they get to the point that many people think it is just getting broken in, and have pretty much done that for all the Master chalk used in our 10 table poolroom for 20+ years. I've always thought it was a waste in that you're throwing away the cube of chalk when you've likely used no more than 20% of the total chalk in the cube.

Recently, just for the heck of it, I've gotten in the habit of sanding used pieces of chalk down (simply flipped upsidedown) on a piece of 60 grit sandpaper on a flat surface. If you're doing a bunch of pieces, it can make a mess, so it's advised to do it outside on a table. After sanding it the necessary amount, you basically have a new looking piece of chalk - just a little shorter. I can do this a few times per piece, until the side of the chalk goes from 7/8" down to about 1/2". You could go even further, but the paper wrapper usually is about worn out by that time, and it seems a little extreme to go any further than that.

Another factor is that a growing number of the regular players and weekly tournament players in here, including myself, use their personal chalk these days, so most of the players using the shorter cubes of Master are the recreational players, whom quite likely don't care and may not even realize they're playing with recycled chalk.

As a result, instead of going through a gross box (144 pieces) of Master blue chalk about every 2 months, now I can get close to 6 months out of a box. The roughly $100 in savings per year is irrelevant in the big picture, but it makes me feel better about not wasting perfectly good chalk. Just curious how others here would view a poolroom owner/manager who does this?

We used to take two used cubes, black tape em together, cut the end off 1 with a hacksaw blade.

Meucciplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think it is a matter of being cheap. I just hate to throw stuff away that is perfectly fine. Slowly, people start to realize that using too much plastic makes our planet a trash can. They also realize that all kinds of pollution etc. does not make them healthier. Although there is some political backlash currently. But for a scientifically thinking person it should be obvious that our current ways to waste resources won't last another 100 years. So why should we not start with the little things, such as chalk? Where it does not make a difference in playing if we use a 95% or a 50 or a 20% piece of chalk.

I am being "frugal" with all things where I can't see any sense in throwing them away. And no, I am known by most of my friends for being generous. I don't really keep track but I am sure that I pay for more rounds of beer etc. than most of my buddies. All the chalk saved would not pay for those.

In a commercial pool establishment I really hate it when they hand me pieces of chalk that are drilled to close to the bottom. That is what I consider to be a "cheap" establishment. If they handed me a perfectly useable half piece of chalk I would be happy with that.

I don't see myself sanding pieces of chalk or bandsawing them. Jeez. That sounds like a huge mess. But then again if I were a pool room owner where I just can't educate all of my customers to use chalk properly and if I had enough spare time - who knows?

In my own place I chalk snooker style and the chalk stays almost perfectly flat all the way to the bottom.

If my only motivation would be to save money you might call me a cheapskate. But it certainly is NOT my motivation. I was taught by my grandmother not to waste stuff without a reason.