Hitting cue ball exactly in the center...

TSW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I find, at least with my stroke, when I use center ball with a med to hard shot, it tends to skid more because you are sliding it on the cloth, so when it hits the object ball, they both kinda hop on contact. I like to use a bit of draw with a softer hit on straight in shots when I need to stop the cue ball instead of hitting harder closer to center.

I don't think that's skid. I think that you're hitting the cue ball pretty hard, so it is airborne when it hits the object ball. That's what causes the little hop on contact.

As you say, soft draw will prevent this.

TheNewSharkster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I haven't see all the replies so I apologize if this has been discussed already.

You can calculate the tangent line of the ball with very good accuracy assuming you hit the middle of the pocket and hit center ball. Once you add left, right, top or bottom the tangent line changes. Now you have to add some additional guesswork to the shot. If center ball gives you the desired position why complicate things?

naji

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Besides for a stop shot (where the cue and object balls are close) or a stun shot, is there a reason to ever hit the cue ball exactly in the center?

I am thinking it would always be better to have the cue ball either with bottom or top spin.

I think I am thinking of specifically long shots with a slight cut angle. And that it would be better for to have the cue ball start off right away rolling as oppose to first skidding and then only rolling (hopefully) right before hitting the object ball.

It is ok when cb is in middle of table because cue is close to leveled as you get near rail now elevation is an issue and cb could swerve. Snooker table is large and offer lots of center ball hit with level cue

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
I tried to take notice tonight of how much Center ball I was using, and it was pretty rare... for some reason on difficult thin cuts I instinctively want to use top. I have seen others on here suggest the same thing, but never have seen any sort of scientific reason that made sense to me. it just feels easier. for long shots I usually want to hit firmly, and to negate the natural roll, I will put draw even if it's not really needed for position. Again it just feels easier. I'm not sure if these are bad habits or if there's some subtle reason these shots are better struck this way.

Posted from Azbilliards.com App for Android

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
You are going with your preferred strengths and that will often get positive results

I tried to take notice tonight of how much Center ball I was using, and it was pretty rare... for some reason on difficult thin cuts I instinctively want to use top. I have seen others on here suggest the same thing, but never have seen any sort of scientific reason that made sense to me. it just feels easier. for long shots I usually want to hit firmly, and to negate the natural roll, I will put draw even if it's not really needed for position. Again it just feels easier. I'm not sure if these are bad habits or if there's some subtle reason these shots are better struck this way.

I don't believe these are necessarily "bad" habits. You are going with your preferred strengths and that will often get positive results, even if it's simply because your confidence is higher.

No matter what style or preference you choose I think it's advisable to use what you like as often as you can. No two players will run a rack exactly the same because they prefer to hit slightly different places on the cue ball.

The difference with the most advanced players is they will MAKE their preferred shot work as opposed to "slow rolling," or using a shot they know has less margin of error. Anytime you are close to the vertical center you will risk amplifying deflection. I prefer to either go a half tip higher or lower because it will lesson unwanted deviation if the hit is slightly imperfect.

"Slow rolling" balls is something I would recommend avoiding for a variety of reasons, it's more desirable to hit the cue ball firmer with underpin. This shot will hold it's line better, and is less susceptible to skids, unlevel tables and foreign debris on the table.

vapoolplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I haven't see all the replies so I apologize if this has been discussed already.

You can calculate the tangent line of the ball with very good accuracy assuming you hit the middle of the pocket and hit center ball. Once you add left, right, top or bottom the tangent line changes. Now you have to add some additional guesswork to the shot. If center ball gives you the desired position why complicate things?

Left and right only change the tangent line off the cushions......

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"Slow rolling" balls is something I would recommend avoiding for a variety of reasons, it's more desirable to hit the cue ball firmer with underpin. This shot will hold it's line better, and is less susceptible to skids, unlevel tables and foreign debris on the table.

If there's one thing you can learn from watching pros play it's that they hardly ever baby a ball into the pocket.

I think the shot below is a common one that people mess up. Some will try to slow roll it, and end up on the rail. Others might try to stun/draw towards the 8 and end up with an awkward angle. I just like to use a little top and hit it firm enough so the CB hits the end rail and bounces back out.

7x-A6T5FxOegbUjJQjCa.png

duckie

GregH
Silver Member
I don't believe these are necessarily "bad" habits. You are going with your preferred strengths and that will often get positive results, even if it's simply because your confidence is higher.

No matter what style or preference you choose I think it's advisable to use what you like as often as you can. No two players will run a rack exactly the same because they prefer to hit slightly different places on the cue ball.

The difference with the most advanced players is they will MAKE their preferred shot work as opposed to "slow rolling," or using a shot they know has less margin of error. Anytime you are close to the vertical center you will risk amplifying deflection. I prefer to either go a half tip higher or lower because it will lesson unwanted deviation if the hit is slightly imperfect.

Don't play much 14.1 or 1 pocket,huh. Typically 9 ball player answer. Or rather maybe someone that doesn't know the value of being able to control the cue ball speed.

renard

Play in these conditions?
Silver Member
If I have to soft roll from distance, I use center ball instead of high.

I don't...I use the draw drag shot. You can use a firmer pace. The pitfall is you must hit exact center on your low cueing or it throws the cueball off line.

buddha162

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't...I use the draw drag shot. You can use a firmer pace. The pitfall is you must hit exact center on your low cueing or it throws the cueball off line.

I use both, depending on the situation. They are not always interchangeable.

-roger

miscrewed1989

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If there's one thing you can learn from watching pros play it's that they hardly ever baby a ball into the pocket.

I think the shot below is a common one that people mess up. Some will try to slow roll it, and end up on the rail. Others might try to stun/draw towards the 8 and end up with an awkward angle. I just like to use a little top and hit it firm enough so the CB hits the end rail and bounces back out.

7x-A6T5FxOegbUjJQjCa.png

This is a great example of a shot where I would use the TOI method.

I play alot of 1 pocket and it is true there are times when a "slow roll" is the only option. Even though, as CJ mentioned, I try to avoid the "slow roll," there are times when it is unavoidable. The lesson in that is to approach every shot individually. We can apply lessons learned from similar shots, but each shot has to be shot at least a little differently.

By the way, I think it is absolutely awesome that CJ chooses to participate in these discussions! Receiving input from someone of his caliber is something not to be taken for granted. I have learned an amazing amount from just 1 of his videos and was already dabbling with this TOI method before I realized it had a name. I respect him now even more that I know he is not too conceited to offer his opinions and advice for FREE in these discussions.

renard

Play in these conditions?
Silver Member
I use both, depending on the situation. They are not always interchangeable.

-roger

The chance of a roll off is lessened with the draw drag. I agree that there are situations that would ask for either.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
duckie said:
Don't play much 14.1 or 1 pocket,huh. Typically 9 ball player answer. Or rather maybe someone that doesn't know the value of being able to control the cue ball speed.

LOL you tell'em duckie! Maybe if CJ takes in enough of your wisdom, he will become a pro eventually. Who knows, he could even win the US open someday! But only If he can figure out the value of speed control.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Wow. As much as you practice, I'd think you would know that "not slow rolling" a ball doesn't mean hitting every shot hard.

It just means hitting it with enough speed to not allow any table issues to interfere.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQCBWt0e0m4

98 ball run. How many does he slow roll?

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Efren Reyes VS CJ Wiley straight pool

Actually I've been gambling a lot lately at one pocket and straight pool is what I practice most of the time.

You have to realize there's different ways to play this game and using a consistent "stroke speed" is a more advanced way of playing. If you choose to slow roll balls and hit spinning shots to make the cue ball "lighter," then that's your option, I'll bet no one will ever try to stop you. ;)

As far as my own game, I enjoy playing a more aggressive style where I'm accelerating, and creating a "heavy cue ball," and treating all the shots pretty much the same. If you don't think I have good cue ball speed, well I guess you can believe whatever you choose in that regard too. It's certainly none of my business what you choose to believe in your life.

Slow rolling balls is like hitting short putts for a Pro Golfer, or "drop shots" for a Pro Tennis Player. Sure, we can do it if we need to, but it's not a deciding factor in our game. That's the way I feel about finesse shots in pool, I can do them, but I don't base my game on them by any means. 'The Game is the Teacher'

PS: if you want to see my straight pool game Accu-stats has some videos you may be interested in. One of them I beat Efren in the winners side, the other one Efren beats me in the finals (in major straight pool event). fyi

Last edited:

vapoolplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is a myth.

It doesn't change the path to the cushion enough to matter except on very slow shots. But at the same time, its nearly impossible to hit the cue ball dead center and create a perfect tangent line, never mind differences in friction on different table, parts of the table, etc.

For general purposes of position play and not nit picking semantics, side spin does not "substantially" change the tangent line until after contact with a rail. Feel free to find any videos you can showing side spin change the tangent line enough before cushion contact where one needs to adjust their perception of the tangent line. (example, having to go between two balls after contact, show me where hitting left or right hand spin will make the cue ball run into another ball, where hitting the cue on the same level in the center or on the other side will make it pass)

Obviously you have to change your aiming to allow for deflection and throw due to side spin, but this doesn't change the tangent line as that is a post impact line.

Last edited:

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
CJ, I must say you are a better man than I am.

I would be booking the next flight to Milpita's with a suitcase full of money and disguises, lookin for some "quackin" action.

Actually I've been gambling a lot lately at one pocket and straight pool is what I practice most of the time.

You have to realize there's different ways to play this game and using a consistent "stroke speed" is a more advanced way of playing. If you choose to slow roll balls and hit spinning shots to make the cue ball "lighter," then that's your option, I'll bet no one will ever try to stop you. ;)

As far as my own game, I enjoy playing a more aggressive style where I'm accelerating, and creating a "heavy cue ball," and treating all the shots pretty much the same. If you don't think I have good cue ball speed, well I guess you can believe whatever you choose in that regard too. It's certainly none of my business what you choose to believe in your life.

Slow rolling balls is like hitting short putts for a Pro Golfer, or "drop shots" for a Pro Tennis Player. Sure, we can do it if we need to, but it's not a deciding factor in our game. That's the way I feel about finesse shots in pool, I can do them, but I don't base my game on them by any means. 'The Game is the Teacher'

PS: if you want to see my straight pool game Accu-stats has some videos you may be interested in. One of them I beat Efren in the winners side, the other one Efren beats me in the finals (in major straight pool event). fyi