The softer the tip, the more spin you can get? is this accurate.

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"Soft tips will absorb more impact...

This is indisputable.

...causing the tip to stay on the cue ball for a split second longer than harder tips.

This is highly debatable. Certainly possible, but doesn't sound right.

...this will result in more cue ball spin, commonly referred to as “English”, when struck off the center of the cue ball."

It would be nice to hear upon what testing they base this.

KMRUNOUT

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
How is this measured? ....
Very rare to have a situation come up where I really can benefit from a maxed out draw shot. Nice to have when needed. ...
In the case of the two local people I've seen practice it, CB in the kitchen, OB by a far corner pocket.

It is rare that you need that much power draw. I think it is mostly useful to have that much so that when you need 70% of that, it's easy for you.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
"Soft tips will absorb more impact..."
This is indisputable.
...causing the tip to stay on the cue ball for a split second longer than harder tips.
This is highly debatable. Certainly possible, but doesn't sound right.
I believe both parts are true.

...this will result in more cue ball spin, commonly referred to as “English”, when struck off the center of the cue ball."
But not this.

It would be nice to hear upon what testing they base this.
Dr. Dave's page on Cue Tip Hardness Effects has lots of info and links about that.

pj
chgo

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Pool math vs real person trying to screw it up; I gotta go with soft or hard equals big difference.
The important factor is how much spin you get for a particular speed forward of the cue ball (on a level stroke). How much increase in that do you feel a softer tip gives? What percentage increase?

(The spin speed ratio is referred to as the "quality" of the stroke. I like to assign a 0 quality to no spin at all and 1.0 to a ball that is rolling smoothly on the cloth. It is possible for a hard tip to achieve 1.13 quality.)

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The important factor is how much spin you get for a particular speed forward of the cue ball (on a level stroke). How much increase in that do you feel a softer tip gives? What percentage increase?

(The spin speed ratio is referred to as the "quality" of the stroke. I like to assign a 0 quality to no spin at all and 1.0 to a ball that is rolling smoothly on the cloth. It is possible for a hard tip to achieve 1.13 quality.)

Sure there's the ideals but a human may have issues that interfere with executing the shot and perform closer to the ideals with certain equipment. Granted a lot of it like joint type, ferrule type etc... are probably "psychosomatic" to borrow a word. OTOH, stuff like tip hardness or what glove, to cite a couple, make tangible differences in feedback; very important I think and relevant to this discussion.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Sure there's the ideals but a human may have issues that interfere with executing the shot and perform closer to the ideals with certain equipment. Granted a lot of it like joint type, ferrule type etc... are probably "psychosomatic" to borrow a word. OTOH, stuff like tip hardness or what glove, to cite a couple, make tangible differences in feedback; very important I think and relevant to this discussion.
Maybe your points are interesting but I think they are for some other discussion.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
I just feel like it’s radar, trying really hard to keep “it” in. I’ve seen only one phonetic spelling of a word by him but it was right up radar’s alley and now I don’t know. It could be someone else we know. I wouldn’t waste too much energy beyond simply correcting glaring mistakes for the casual information seekers that come through later.

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Doing tests

Rather than creating a new thread, I'll post here since it is related to what I post in the OP.

I've been experimenting since I've got two of the same shafts.

I have installed one with a soft tip, then one with a hard tip, namely Sniper and Lepro respectively.

Here's what I discovered, and I will also add to this more since I am still experimenting with them.

1. The soft tip "Sniper" is better for soft shots; where you need to roll the ball in, even in long shots, I do these very well with a sniper, finesse shots with English are also better with the Sniper, I also hit shots when the cueball is hugging the rail, where I must hit the cueball from the top, very well with the Sniper, even on long shots, but I must shoot it softly, if I shoot it hard with the Sniper ill miss it. Another plus for the Sniper is drawing the cueball with little to no effort, hitting them medium speed, it draws the cueball really good.

2. With Lepro it's a different story, rolling balls is very difficult when I shoot them softly even if I don't apply English, I feel that I'm unsure of which side of the pocket I'm potting the ball in, unlike Sniper where I can feel exactly which side of the pocket I put a ball in when rolling it, notice that I am just talking here about rolling balls in when there is a little distance involved. Now where Lepro excels over Sniper is on pound shots and hard shots. If I had a shot that was long and I wanted to hit it very hard to pound in and out of a cushion, then Lepro is what I want, when I do this shot with a Sniper I'd miss it.

If I don't have enough angle and I want to stun the cueball in and out of a cushion Lepro is also better for this, I also find the Lepro is better than Sniper when I want a really powerful stroke and going 3 or 4 rails for position with applying lots of spin, again if I do that with Sniper, it is missable, while with Lepro I never miss that.

Can someone confirm what I found to be also accurate to them?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... I have installed one with a soft tip, then one with a hard tip, namely Sniper and Lepro respectively. ...
Have you measured the hardness with a durometer or are you just going by what the advertizing literature says?

Have you measured the energy loss/efficiency of each tip? This is relatively simple to do with a bounce test.

Are the shafts identical?

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have you measured the hardness with a durometer or are you just going by what the advertizing literature says?

Have you measured the energy loss/efficiency of each tip? This is relatively simple to do with a bounce test.

Are the shafts identical?

For the first one, I haven't measured it, and I also haven't gone by what the advertising literature says, I can feel it myself.

It is easily felt, the Lepro feels like a rock, while Sniper feels very very soft and even spongy at times, both tips are nice.

For the second one, I did not do either, and I don't know what will it change for my play and experiment, I'm telling you the outcome of playing for hours with both tips.

But if you tell me the method, I'll do it, given you explain the reason for doing it, why would I want to measure the energy loss and efficiency of a tip, you remind me of physics class :)

kevoka

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't doubt that one bit. I'm not going for three or even 2.5. I can get it to go about 1.5 times on good cloth but i have to hit it PERFECTLY. When Massey does it the CB does a little burn-out before it backs up. Crazy stroke.

The burnout!

When I see that happen on my shots (not very often at all) I know that the cue ball is going places.

Applies to force follow as well...