Which city has the stronger pool scene? Charlotte or Raleigh NC?

I am curious where the the best pool scene (where the most tournaments, and the strongest players play at) in North Carolina?

I am guessing it is either Charlotte, or Raleigh, but I do not know (the strongest pool scene might be in one of tye smaller cities, in NC).

Please reply only if you are aware of the current pool scene in North Carolina.

I am thinking about moving to either Raleigh, or Charlotte (mostly because I want to live in a bigger city).

Just curious if there is a lot more going on in Raleigh and Charlotte, and which is better (which has more players, and more stronger players)?

I been wanting to visit Brass Tap for a long time. I bet they have some good weekly tournaments, but I do not know (I guess I should give them a call to find out).

Just curious to hear from those who know the current pool scene in North Carolina.

Thanks for any info, or opinions about which city you think is better for pool players who love good competition and tournaments (Charlotte or Raleigh?).

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Raleigh, 8 days a week.

Plus, close to Greensboro and I-95.

I do like Charlotte, but whaddya got near there? nothing good.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Raleigh and it's neighbor city Durham must be considered as one in this analysis. Raleigh/Durham has a good pool scene.

*** Denver, Co ***

Lol, I bet the table rates are at least $8 an hour at any nice pool room in Denver. I bet the cost of living there is super high in general. Would love to live there though. Been dreaming about that area most of my life. Just never thought it would be possible to attempt a relocation out there, with out a lot of money saved up. Always loved the mountains. I imagine I would love it out there.

Last edited:

Matt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I started playing pool when I was in high school in Charlotte and came to Raleigh for college and stayed. Unless something has changed in the last 20 or so years, I would say Raleigh has the more active pool scene of the two, but there are still plenty of players and tournaments in either place to keep you busy.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I started playing pool when I was in high school in Charlotte and came to Raleigh for college and stayed. Unless something has changed in the last 20 or so years, I would say Raleigh has the more active pool scene of the two, but there are still plenty of players and tournaments in either place to keep you busy.

True that. I was in Charlotte in 2015 for a week and there was a tourney almost every night.

Yeah, of course I returned home with more doll hairs than I arrived with:rolleyes:

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Raleigh and it's neighbor city Durham must be considered as one in this analysis. Raleigh/Durham has a good pool scene.

I don't think there is any comparison in pool scenes between Durham and Raleigh. The pool scene in Durham is almost non existent. A better comparison is Raleigh and Cary. Cary has a very active pool community.

Moet.1977

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ha

True that. I was in Charlotte in 2015 for a week and there was a tourney almost every night.

Yeah, of course I returned home with more doll hairs than I arrived with:rolleyes:

Doll hairs (LOL) that's Rogers saying.

My father in law lives in the Ballentyne area in Charlotte when I was last down their I don't recall much but Columbia SC is only an hour away on interstate 77.

jayburger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Raleigh of the two justin. Charlotte has probably the worst pool scene in a city with its population. It looks to me like you are free to move wherever you want(from your various posts over the years) i actually live and work in greensboro,where you are now living, I guess you are going to gate city to play. Mark tadd and bj and chew and shannon fitch are there almost daily. If you arent,you should be. I think its 5 bucks until 8 pm for his gold crowns,but don also has several diamonds. Raleigh is a very nice place to live with several small towns within 30 minutes with good rooms and some tournaments. If i was free to go anywhere, i would look into florida or louisiana, but just remember, whatever pool scene is flourishing today,it might last a year or two,but then it changes. Always has and always will. You need to find a city with a nice league scene (because you seem to really enjoy pool) and at least then you would have interaction with other pool players that love it like you do. Get on two or three league teams and that should keep you busy.

Raleigh of the two justin. Charlotte has probably the worst pool scene in a city with its population. It looks to me like you are free to move wherever you want(from your various posts over the years) i actually live and work in greensboro,where you are now living, I guess you are going to gate city to play. Mark tadd and bj and chew and shannon fitch are there almost daily. If you arent,you should be. I think its 5 bucks until 8 pm for his gold crowns,but don also has several diamonds. Raleigh is a very nice place to live with several small towns within 30 minutes with good rooms and some tournaments. If i was free to go anywhere, i would look into florida or louisiana, but just remember, whatever pool scene is flourishing today,it might last a year or two,but then it changes. Always has and always will. You need to find a city with a nice league scene (because you seem to really enjoy pool) and at least then you would have interaction with other pool players that love it like you do. Get on two or three league teams and that should keep you busy.

Yeah, I been wanting to go to their Saturday night tourney for awhile, but I keep missing it every time Saturday comes around. Would be really cool to see BJ (Ussery?) play again. I got to see him play many times at a local tournament in Chapel Hill, back when I lived there from 02 to 03. He was a great player. Very strong. He had to spot everyone so much in that tournament though (like the last 4, plus games on the wire, if I remember correctly), so it was hard for him to do good. Those pockets were super small too. He played awesome on those tables though.

Raleigh Hands Down....The Brass Tap is my favorite room. Brown's is real nice as well.

I so wish I would have tried to find a place in Raleigh. I been really depressed in Greensboro. This place it just too small, with a very boring down town. Winston Salem is nicer then this place, but their public transit system is horrible, and there is only 1 pool room that I know of, and the bus could only get me there in the day time. I thought Greensboro would be much bigger then it actually is. Coming from Louisville, it seems very small. I really like Shooters though (very nice tables), and Jakes is a very lively spot for the college kids. That place is always packed with college kids shooting (not sure about serious players though). I been so depressed, I have not even tried to get into the pool scene here. Just want to be in a bigger place.

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Justin , by accidentally running across some old school jam as well as others, there was a tidy bit on NC. If by chance u are a foody too listen up. There's a diner in between Greensboro and whatever that still has 30 fresh veggies on the menu. I also believe they have baked potatoes the size of footballs..... JAM , PEASE GUIDE US LOLOLOL😊

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do not think your going to find public transportation to be easily or remotely convenient in NC. I could be wrong as I have zero experience with it. If I were in your shoes I'd be considering a major city were public transportation is far more available and established. Or buy a bicycle, that is how many folks in other countries commute.

Straw_Hat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just come to Raleigh Justin.

Between all the rooms in Raleigh and Cary you can pretty much play tournaments, league, or gamble 7 days a week.

Plus all the nicer pool rooms here offer $5 pool all day until either 4 or 6pm depending which room.

I have been all over this country and I don't know many cities that come close to our population to 9' table pool rooms ratio. I doubt you can find a place with 7' or 8' action, but if you want a game on 9' tables then just toss a rock man.

Last edited:

I would not mind going back to the St. Petersburg area someday. I had a really nice time when I was there in the late 90s. Very strong pool scene at that time. Many tournaments , on every night of the week. Mostly short race to 3 9 ball tournaments , or single race to 1 game 8 ball tournaments though , which is why they were so popular (it was like a coin flip for anyone to win). Hopefully that format has changed by now, down there.

Loved the palm trees and the tropical weather too . It was really nice down there.