Ivory Ferrules

SCCues

< Searing Twins
Silver Member
I have 2 Paul Mottey cues and 1 Tim Scruggs cue and all of the shafts have ivory ferrules. I just traded a Josswest cue to get one of my Mottey cues and it had ivory ferrules on both shafts.

My question is this, Why do top cue makers use ivory ferrules on their cues?

Do they play better? I would like to know the reason if someone can help me out.

Thanks,
SCCues

BLACKHEARTCUES

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
SCCues said:
I have 2 Paul Mottey cues and 1 Tim Scruggs cue and all of the shafts have ivory ferrules. I just traded a Josswest cue to get one of my Mottey cues and it had ivory ferrules on both shafts.

Do they play better? I would like to know the reason if someone can help me out.

Thanks,
SCCues
Most custom Qmakers use a variety of ferrules, depending on what is ordered. I have Ivory on all of my personal Qs, but not everyone likes them. They play a little more lively than heavier, stiffer material. The cost runs from $50-$100 & that can make a difference when ordering a Q made...JER

Murray Tucker

Just a Padawan
Silver Member
SCCues said:

Thanks,
SCCues

I only use ivory on my playing cues. They play nice and they stay clean. I hate a blue ferrule.

blud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ivory

Scott Behrens said:
The top cuemakers get the customers with money. The ivory is primarily for status, although some may swear they play better. I also write this, having never played with an ivory ferrule.

Scott
Hi Scott, you should not speak about things you know nothing about. [by your own addmission].

You don't know if you haven't played with them. I don't sell them for the EXTRA money you speak of. I sell them because in my OPINION they are best for MY CUES. Statis, means nothing, to a player who can play and has played with ivory for decades. For your information sir, the cue ball leaves the tip FASTER with an IVORY ferrule, than with the plastics of today. Again, this is my opinion.
In my opinion, your WRONG.
blud

PS, this guy must be kin to Fast Larry?????????????????and he, don't know jack-s**t about cues and ferrules. Sorry just telling it like it is, my friend.

blud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
best

SCCues said:

Thanks,
SCCues
Because we as top cuemakers, know best, sir.
blud

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
Scott Behrens said:
The top cuemakers get the customers with money. The ivory is primarily for status, although some may swear they play better. I also write this, having never played with an ivory ferrule.
Scott

Like much about pool cues, many will try to make you believe there is some sort of magic in this material or that.... it just isn't so. Ivory is nice in some ways, and not so nice in others. Opinions vary widely, which will tell you that in REALITY, there really isn't all that much difference. I've been playing with a cue for about a year now that doesn't even have a ferrule. :eek:

Ivory stays nice and clean (like Murray stated) and it is also quite hard, and can sometimes alter the sound you get when striking the ball.
I aint going into the "hit" debate, because that is a personal thing, and can sometimes be clouded by psychological projections or superstitious ideas.

Ivory is sensitive to temperature changes, and can crack.
It comes from an animal that has been exploited for its tusks.
It is fairly expensive (one of the main reasons some people WANT it).

Last edited:

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
spam alert

I don't wanna join the ivory ferrule war, but in case someone is interested in a cheaper alternative to ivory, here's a good one.
http://www.fivestarbilliards.com/Me...creen=PROD&Product_Code=ivor-x&Category_Code=
It's been tested by a few makers and tinkerers here.
ivor_x.jpg

Scott Behrens

Former Cue Builder
Silver Member
blud said:
Hi Scott, you should not speak about things you know nothing about. [by your own addmission].

Wow! Walked smack into that one...

I wonder if you could have come up with a nastier way to say some of that stuff if you'd have sat around and thought about it for a while.

Scott

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Scott Behrens said:
Wow! Walked smack into that one...

I wonder if you could have come up with a nastier way to say some of that stuff if you'd have sat around and thought about it for a while.

Scott

I am always very careful what I post on this site. It is meant to be a reference source and the information needs to be solid. There can be some debate and opinion but for the most part you want to believe what you read is from someone with actual practical experience. I had a guy on another forum answer a question on my electrical system in my Volvo. Fortunately I got a bunch of emails telling me "NOT" to do what the guy said I could cause real damage to my system. To read this guys post he was some kind of mechanic. They were right I was lucky I put off the job before I messed things up. The net has a lot of bad information but here you feel you are getting the straight dope. Sit back and learn and feel blessed it is here. The man you feel insulted you also gave you his phone number and offered to answer any questions you had. He may just a little cranky lately.

Last edited:

Nomoney

Registered
Dieckman says ivory is the best. in fact he has taken a break , so he could go hunting for ivory. it will be awhile until he gets back. he's out with #1 wood and some golf balls. eventually an elephant will die of laughter. and dieckman will come home. Scott, Blud is jealous of your hat. pay no attention to him.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I to prefer the hit of Ivory. I tried the ivory X and just don't like the hit at all. It's just my opinion but it doesn't hit or look like ivory. So for my cues I'll stay with Ivory, Melamine and I still have some real Aegis left.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Nomoney said:
Dieckman says ivory is the best. in fact he has taken a break , so he could go hunting for ivory. it will be awhile until he gets back. he's out with #1 wood and some golf balls. eventually an elephant will die of laughter. and dieckman will come home. Scott, Blud is jealous of your hat. pay no attention to him.
When did Dennis ever say anything good about using Ivory? He must have changed if he said that, because I heard him say "don't even ask him to put ivory in a cue because he will not do it." Been many years, since he said that so maybe he changed.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
cueman said:
When did Dennis ever say anything good about using Ivory? He must have changed if he said that, because I heard him say "don't even ask him to put ivory in a cue because he will not do it." Been many years, since he said that so maybe he changed.
He was being funny Chris.
DD says ivory is bad karma.

Jon

Custom User Title
Silver Member
JoeyInCali said:
He was being funny Chris.
DD says ivory is bad karma.
Oh, was that supposed to be funny?
I wish i could say 'good try' NoMoney (or is it NoClue?)

Thanks,

Jon

A

Arnot Wadsworth

Ivory - Melamine Ferrules

Michael Webb said:
I to prefer the hit of Ivory. I tried the ivory X and just don't like the hit at all. It's just my opinion but it doesn't hit or look like ivory. So for my cues I'll stay with Ivory, Melamine and I still have some real Aegis left.

I agree with you Mr. Webb. I prefer Ivory and that is the material I put on my personal cues. Melamine is the best of all the Ivory Substitutes because it plays great and doesn't pick up the dirt like Aegis II or Ivornene III. I also like the original Aegis but I have not seen any for sale for a long time. :)

Cannon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Aegis

Arnot Wadsworth said:
I agree with you Mr. Webb. I prefer Ivory and that is the material I put on my personal cues. Melamine is the best of all the Ivory Substitutes because it plays great and doesn't pick up the dirt like Aegis II or Ivornene III. I also like the original Aegis but I have not seen any for sale for a long time. :)

I have some Aegis rod left that I bought several years back. When did they stop making the original? Mine seems pretty good, stays clean and all. Thanks for the heads up, I was thinking of buying some melamine.

A

Arnot Wadsworth

Aegis Rod

oldnovice said:
I have some Aegis rod left that I bought several years back. When did they stop making the original? Mine seems pretty good, stays clean and all. Thanks for the heads up, I was thinking of buying some melamine.

I do not know that they stopped making it. I just have not seen it offered for a long time. I was so happy with the Melamine when I started using it that I decided to stay with it because of the color and other characteristics such as how well it glues with epoxy, the solid hit, durability and how it stayed clean much like ivory. Tips stick to it very well with Loctite Gel from Home Depot or the 454 from other sources.

Cannon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Arnot Wadsworth said:
I do not know that they stopped making it. I just have not seen it offered for a long time. I was so happy with the Melamine when I started using it that I decided to stay with it because of the color and other characteristics such as how well it glues with epoxy, the solid hit, durability and how it stayed clean much like ivory. Tips stick to it very well with Loctite Gel from Home Depot or the 454 from other sources.

Thanks, good to know. Is the larger sizes of the Melamine good for joint collars and but caps?

Bob