Ivory Ferrules

A

Arnot Wadsworth

Melamine Tube

oldnovice said:
Thanks, good to know. Is the larger sizes of the Melamine good for joint collars and but caps?

Bob

I didn't know it was available in Tube or Butt Cap size. If you know where to get some I would certainly give it a try. I just checked Atlas and was unable to find any except the ferrule size.

RSB-Refugee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cueman said:
When did Dennis ever say anything good about using Ivory? He must have changed if he said that, because I heard him say "don't even ask him to put ivory in a cue because he will not do it." Been many years, since he said that so maybe he changed.
That was his position on the subject, the last I knew of. He was very much against the use of ivory, he said, 'it brought bad karma'.

Tracy

RSB-Refugee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
RSB-Refugee said:
He was very much against the use of ivory, he said, 'it brought bad karma'.
After having my Schon's taper modified and an aftermarket ivory ferrule installed, I am beginning to think the definition of 'bad karma' = 'great hit'. ;) I also installed a a white-tail antler (buckhorn) ferrule (sleeved) on an old Dufferin Hi-Run, I love the way it feels. They can be found in the woods without hurting the deer, if you are woried about karma.

Tracy

blud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
like I said

Nomoney said:
Dieckman says ivory is the best. in fact he has taken a break , so he could go hunting for ivory. it will be awhile until he gets back. he's out with #1 wood and some golf balls. eventually an elephant will die of laughter. and dieckman will come home. Scott, Blud is jealous of your hat. pay no attention to him.

The guy knows nothing about cues. He needs to listen and not speak untill he's got some savey about cues. He wears a funny looking hat, also.
No worry, NOMONEY, he don't {SCOTT},shake me a bit.

blud

Nomoney

Registered
hey Blud hang it up already. retire no one will miss your overpriced equipment.you only come here to sell your garbage. tell us how they threw you out of the shipyard. your going to be the nail in McDermott's coffin. your all talk you old fart. kma

X Breaker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have heard about the karma thing also. My question is how was the ivory obtained in the US. I have been under the impression that they were obtained from museums and from elephants who were already dead. Anyone cares to share the procedures for ivory to become legal and "pre-ban?"

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
Karma shwarma... Do you think there is bad moo-moo karma in every tip, or bad slimey karma in every lizard or snakeskin wrap, or bad woodpecker karma in every log? I like ivory over every substitue I have tried. I also have sold cues that are over 40 years old with the original ferrules in place. So durability is not an issue, correct installation, now that might be an issue.

Joe (---PETA means People for Enjoying Tastey Animals :)

pixie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
do melamine and ivory differ in playability if they are close substitutes? does melamine generate as much deflection as what ivory has reputed to have?

BLACKHEARTCUES

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
nipponbilliards said:
I have heard about the karma thing also. My question is how was the ivory obtained in the US. I have been under the impression that they were obtained from museums and from elephants who were already dead. Anyone cares to share the procedures for ivory to become legal and "pre-ban?"
The Ivory ban was enacted in 1989. No Ivory, whether tusks or carved figurenes, can be imported after that date. Any Elephant Ivory in the USA, before that date, can be sold or traded. The Ivory that I buy,comes with a certificate that tells when the animal was killed & where. The only exeption to the law is that if you go to one of the 10 countries that still allow killing of Elephants, to cull out the herds, the Ivory can be brought in as "ESTATE IVORY". This Ivory CAN NOT be sold, until the person who killed the animal has died. It can then be sold as part of his estate. Freshly killed elephant Ivory has to be aged(dryed), before it is useable, so only old Ivory is good for use in pool cues. This is the way I read the law. Hope this helps...JER

BLACKHEARTCUES

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BLACKHEARTCUES said:
The Ivory ban was enacted in 1989. No Ivory, whether tusks or carved figurenes, can be imported after that date. Any Elephant Ivory in the USA, before that date, can be sold or traded. The Ivory that I buy,comes with a certificate that tells when the animal was killed & where. The only exeption to the law is that if you go to one of the 10 countries that still allow killing of Elephants, to cull out the herds, the Ivory can be brought in as "ESTATE IVORY". This Ivory CAN NOT be sold, until the person who killed the animal has died. It can then be sold as part of his estate. Freshly killed elephant Ivory has to be aged(dryed), before it is useable, so only old Ivory is good for use in pool cues. This is the way I read the law. Hope this helps...JER
I failed to mention that WALRUS TUSKS are also regulated by the US FISH & GAME DEPARTMENT. As I understand it, Walrus tusks can ONLY be harvested by American Eskimos. They can sell them or use them as they see fit, BUT they can not be sold outside of the state in which they were killed. So unless you keep it in Alaska, you can't even use it in a pool cue...JER

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
classiccues said:
Karma shwarma... Do you think there is bad moo-moo karma in every tip, or bad slimey karma in every lizard or snakeskin wrap, or bad woodpecker karma in every log? I like ivory over every substitue I have tried. I also have sold cues that are over 40 years old with the original ferrules in place. So durability is not an issue, correct installation, now that might be an issue.

Joe (---PETA means People for Enjoying Tastey Animals :)
Joe, I like to see you, Dennis D and FL together at a restaurant. :D

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
nipponbilliards said:
Most were shot on Safaris by US citizens before 1989. Others were purchased by people visiting Africa before 1989. Most of those tusks will have at least some minor carving on them. The elephant population must be kept at a certain level, just like the deer population here must be. So many African countries allow a certain amount of elephants to be harvested. They have permits, rules and regulations for where, when and how. The legal killing of Elephants has not been much of a problem in decades. It is the poachers that cause the problems. I used to have an ivory source that quit the Ivory business in 1989. He said he once viewed a public hanging of poachers there. So the governments take it pretty serious over there. I am told that Game and Fish takes it for granted that any ivory we have is pre-ban unless it can be proved otherwise. They do occasionally confiscate cues leaving or coming into the country with ivory in them. This is why I feel the camel bone will become more popular now for exported cues. Not all camel bone is equal in color to ivory. I had my people experiment with it until they were able to bleach it to a nice creamy ivory color. The slabs now look much better than the first cue I built with the earlier camel bone.
Chris
www.cuesmith.com

Last edited:

cuesmith

BEEN THERE, DONE THAT!
Silver Member
cueman said:
Most were shot on Safaris by US citizens before 1989. Others were purchased by people visiting Africa before 1989. Most of those tusks will have at least some minor carving on them. The elephant population must be kept at a certain level, just like the deer population here must be. So many African countries allow a certain amount of elephants to be harvested. They have permits, rules and regulations for where, when and how. The legal killing of Elephants has not been much of a problem in decades. It is the poachers that cause the problems. I used to have an ivory source that quit the Ivory business in 1989. He said he once viewed a public hanging of poachers there. So the governments take it pretty serious over there. I am told that Game and Fish takes it for granted that any ivory we have is pre-ban unless it can be proved otherwise. They do occasionally confiscate cues leaving or coming into the country with ivory in them. This is why I feel the camel bone will become more popular now for exported cues. Not all camel bone is equal in color to ivory. I had my people experiment with it until they were able to bleach it to a nice creamy ivory color. The slabs now look much better than the first cue I built with the earlier camel bone.
Chris
www.cuesmith.com

I've also been told by a good source that a lot of the tusks in the US were brought in by Missionaries who'd spent time in Africa. It was customary for the tribesman to give them tusks as tributes when they were returning home to the US after their service.
Sherm

X Breaker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you so much for the extremely informed and detailed answers. It is very nice to hear such information from all the knowledgable cue makers and cue lovers alike. Thank you.
I have a few more questions.
And does the law prohibit the export of ivory to other countries including Canada, how does that work? Is there any exception?
Blackheart, what do you mean when you said ivory has to be aged before it can be used?
Chris, when you see some black lines, which I would assume to be nerve/blood vessels on the ivory, is there a trick to hide them, or do you just leave them as is?
Regarding the question on deflection, I do not care too much about deflection or throw. I think the hit is much more important. Any good player can get used to the squirt of the ivory ferrule. It is all in the stroke is my opinion. Besides, if the cue is poorly balanced and the construction is not sound, the player will lose so much in performance and consistency in the cue that no low deflection shaft can make up for.
Thank you once again for all your helpful answers.

Richard

Cue Crazy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I aggree, for My style shooting, the squirt is in the stroke. I have always shot with a lively cue, so the hit and balance is most important to me also. I even actually use squirt to masse around balls slightly in some cases, when others would kick a rail, and is important for me to cheat a pocket for shape also.

It is the style of the cues I grew up shooting with, I guess, that are responsible for My preference. Mostly steel jointed veneer point type cues. And ofcoarse went through My snooker shaft phase many moons ago, so that could play into it.

There are alot of players these days that have good success, and are getting really good at running balls faster then they did in My day. Could the low deflection cues that are more common today possibly have anything to do with It? maybe if I had started out with that style, I could shoot with one Myself. In a game like 9 ball today where every shot is clutch, and not much room for a loose style of play as I have aquired

I made a shaft for My Mcdermott that was around 13 1/2 -14mm with a delrin insert for breaking. The cue seems to have no deflection. It will pocket balls all day long with ease If that was all I wanted, but can't do a thing with it on all shape I need + shot, and many other areas of My game.

I would like to be able to use them, because they pocket balls alot more consistently, but just limits me too much on other areas. I have tried to addapt over the years, but have to stick with what I know now.

Greg

Last edited:

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
nipponbilliards said:
Thank you so much for the extremely informed and detailed answers. It is very nice to hear such information from all the knowledgable cue makers and cue lovers alike. Thank you.
I have a few more questions.
And does the law prohibit the export of ivory to other countries including Canada, how does that work? Is there any exception?
Blackheart, what do you mean when you said ivory has to be aged before it can be used?
Chris, when you see some black lines, which I would assume to be nerve/blood vessels on the ivory, is there a trick to hide them, or do you just leave them as is?
Regarding the question on deflection, I do not care too much about deflection or throw. I think the hit is much more important. Any good player can get used to the squirt of the ivory ferrule. It is all in the stroke is my opinion. Besides, if the cue is poorly balanced and the construction is not sound, the player will lose so much in performance and consistency in the cue that no low deflection shaft can make up for.
Thank you once again for all your helpful answers.

Richard
I try to cut around the nerve as it is ugly. Some advertise it is best for cue ferrules, but who wants an ugly ferrule? I bought some ivory form a missionaries widow once, so Sherm is right about them being a source also. It was all carved but I bought it cheap.
Check your PMs as I don't have your email address on my new computer.
Chris