What type of person would throw their hands up and yell in celebration after a miss?

Did he shout at all?

Yes, he did shout (or yell out, or what ever you want to call it, after he put both of his arms up in the air). Just watch these 8 seconds of the video (from 1:40 to 1:48), and turn your speakers up (lol). I am sorry. I might be completely wrong. Congrads to Johnny on his win. I heard that was a really hard event for the players. It sure does appear to be bright as hell in that room. I imagine that must have been hard on the eyes (I do not know).

Last edited:

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, he did shout (or yell out, or what ever you want to call it, after he put both of his arms up in the air). Just watch these 8 seconds of the video (from 1:40 to 1:48), and turn your speakers up (lol). I am sorry. I might be completely wrong. Congrads to Johnny on his win. I heard that was a really hard event for the players.

You would need to be right first.

There's a difference between being happy that you have been gifted the opportunity to win, and being happy at your opponent's expense.

There's a difference between being happy that you have been gifted the opportunity to win, and being happy at your opponent's expense.

Did you even watch the video? I watched it about 10 or more times (lol). It is clear to me that he made some sort of loud noise after he threw his arms up in the air (it was a noise of excitement). My only point is that I thought it was disrespectful to his opponent (Dennis Orcollo), but just so Orcollo was not offended, then that is all that matters. I seem to be the only person in the pool world that even thought that Johnny behaved in a disrespectful way, so I am sorry to Johnny (my all time most favorite pool player), and I am sorry for creating this thread. Maybe I am just crazy, but I just thought it was shocking (silly me, I guess).

By the way, you can be happy (to be given the match, and the Championship) without acting the way he did. It should not matter that it was the finals, and a hill/hill game, players should never act in that manor after their opponent makes a critical game losing (Championship match losing) mistake. I just feel bad for Dennis. He really should have won.

Harold Smith

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I understand that I will never be in the position that he was in (but that is not the point), and it should not matter how big of a mistake Orcollo made. Johnny Archers behavior was very disrespectful. Good sportsman do not act that way. Show your opponents respect. Do not throw your arms up in the air and cheer when they make a mistake.

This is exactly the point, you will never know how you will respond to a situation like Johnny. I haven't watched it or plan to, but as others have stated with everything building up to defeat and then have a win. ---Smitty

Harold Smith

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You make a great point. I remember watching that video awhile back. That was by far the worst behavior that I have ever seen from a pool player. I can't remember the players name (but I do remember his face, and noticed him as the DCC last year). I do remember that it was at the Manny Pacquiao Cup (I think).

You don't watch any of Earl's videos do you if you think what Archer did was the worst you ever saw.---Smitty

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
lol god forbid anyone shows some emotion in a hill hill final of a tournament. I got no problem with it.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
It was not Johnnie that let out the exclamation. He was out of Dennis's view and jumped up with his hands in the air. He lowered them as soon as Dennis turned his way. The exclamation came from a spectator. You hear the same whoop after Dennis refuses to shake his hand.

Last edited:

thewhiffer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you also watch the video of Archer playing road player Ronnie Wiseman in a tournament and when it became clear that Wiseman might win the sharking started. Not clear up front sharking like Earl, but the sneaky, I'm really a good guy didn't mean to throw you off, sharking of Archer. Since then have seen him employ this tactic in other close matches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-LHP6hm9Eg

and at 1:50 of the following johnny responds;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IP2j4TChSo

match available on youtube......did not have time to find and link.

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
:eek:

So a 60 year old senior citizen underdog in a tournnament isn't allowed to react to the unthinkable?

I think it was a very mild reaction to getting the chance to win.

Sorry you feel butt hurt.....:nanner:

Last edited:

Lesh

One Hole Thinkifier
Silver Member
Doesnt look like disrespect. But he may have pooped himself.

I believe you have the two mixed up.

If you find yourself in the finals of a tournament, it has been a hard match, goes Hill-hill, your opponent is a runout player, the tables playable but not easy, your hanging on his every shot, and all of a sudden....

See where this is going.
No need to get the undies in a bunch over this one.

True, pants pooping is not something you can really control. My brain poops its pants from time to time :)

Lesh

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
Of course it appears disrespectful but a situation like that will cause temporary insanity. It was out-of-character for JA, i.e. not something he routinely does, so I'd say the surprise got the best of him.

jeffj2h

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lighten up, Francis

A wise man once said...

Attachments

• lighten-up-francis-o.jpg
    lighten-up-francis-o.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 280

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is off topic, but yeah, he really was cueing very low on the cue ball (I think). It was a very surprising error. I can only imagine how nerve racking a hil/hill champinship match would be, but these are very seasoned pro's. Their nerves are as solid as a rock. Hard to believe that they would be nervous, even at that point in a match. Very focused (yeah), but not nervous.

that was a product of surprise. the guy's got mouths to feed. plus, dennis isn't exactly mr. congeniality.

what goes around comes around.

:eek:

So a 60 year old senior citizen underdog in a tournnament isn't allowed to react to the unthinkable?

I think it was a very mild reaction to getting the chance to win.

Sorry you feel butt hurt.....:nanner:

Johnny Archer is 60? He does not look older then maybe around 45. It is just my opinion, but I do not think it was cool for him to throw his arms up in the air like that, after Orcollo miscued and scratched (even if it was a spectator that made that noise, that I thought Johnny made). I see that most do not agree with me, but nothing will change my opinion about how I feel about how Archer reacted to that miscue and scratch. Even if it were the World 9 ball Championships (and the hill/hill game of the finals), Pro's should be on their best and most respectful behavior.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
Meh...I don't love it, that's for sure. I think however, in this case, that it may have been a somewhat involuntary response to an unexpected situation. It didn't look calculated to me. I think maybe we can give him the benefit of the doubt on this one.

that was a product of surprise. the guy's got mouths to feed. plus, dennis isn't exactly mr. congeniality.

what goes around comes around.

In my opinion, that was even worse behavior then refusing to shake a persons hand after a loss. Orcollo probably has a family to feed too (back home, where he is from), and he may have also really needed that win.