John Schmidt has beaten Mosconi

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Apples and oranges.

Nope, just three good examples of how what you accomplish on your very best day doesn't necessarily define you. In what sport are records achieved in a practice situation celebrated?

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't be foolish.

John has been the most vocal about his attempts, but I can assure you that plenty of others have tried.

EVERY PRO HAS TRIED TO BREAK IT.

Only a few will admit it.

Sure, not many have basically quit competition, work, family....life in general to pursue it like John did but, they could have.

Why didn't they? Well, we know what we hear and then, there's what we know.

We hear: no incentive. Well, that's "somewhat" true for 1% of the pros but, what about the other 99% of pros?

Crickets, crickets etc...etc lolol....:

They can't get there.

Man, I tell you one thing. My lifetime high run is 156 and I'm as proud as a pig in mud of it.

I'm sure John would laugh at all the negative posts on AZB if:

He read them. He dont nowadays since all the JEALOUS A55hats ran him off.

We at AZB are like this:

A medium size fish in a tiny pond. They dont want a true "big fish" in here. Why? Well, I think we both know why. It would:

Make our little 75 to 150ish high runs seem......small.......some cant handle the truth. 2hats the truth?

Here's the truth:

I dont care if you got a gazillion lessons from Dallas, Willie himself, Siegel.....BAR NONE...... you either have it or you dont and here is how you know if you have it or not:

Won a 14.1 championship......you have it!!!!!

Hold high run record........you have it!!!!!

Everyone else (especially me!)....well, you/me/we ain't got nothin.

We just wish we did.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Nope, just three good examples of how what you accomplish on your very best day doesn't necessarily define you. In what sport are records achieved in a practice situation celebrated?

Might I remind you that Mosconi's 526 was done during an exhibition, not a Sanctioned tournament. That never seemed to bother you or anyone else and it was readily accepted as the 14.1 high run record. Now when John Schmidt surpasses Mosconi, all of a sudden it doesn't count for much since he didn't have an opponent and the pockets were larger than in a tournament. Stu, you're grasping at straws here and it does not become you.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your funny.

I'm serious. You state all the time that you dont even care for 14.1 but, let someone, hell, anyone accomplish something or even try to start a positive conversation about 14.1 and you (and a couple others here) pounce on it like a cat on catnip.

Is John your catnip? I'm just curious cause some on h er e seem to get off on bashing him and his accomplishments regardless of how amazing they are.

I truly do not understand it.

Is it jealously, hate or what?

I really want to know.

I got no problem with John I've already said it's a great achievement but I don't believe it's hall of fame worthy on its own merit just as sjm believes,
I have no problem with the game other than I get bored watching it

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Might I remind you that Mosconi's 526 was done during an exhibition, not a Sanctioned tournament. That never seemed to bother you or anyone else and it was readily accepted as the 14.1 high run record. Now when John Schmidt surpasses Mosconi, all of a sudden it doesn't count for much since he didn't have an opponent and the pockets were larger than in a tournament. Stu, you're grasping at straws here and it does not become you.

Was John's record a public exhibition or a practice session, do you consider there to be a difference between the two?

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I told him in another thread but he didn't listen to me.

Maybe he will listen to you Jay.

Jay, I like Stu. Like you, he is a WEALTH of pool knowledge but, for some reason, he is sticking with the crazy negative crap about a freakishly high run ON VIDEO.

Nope, it's not like Stu. Not at all!

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Shooting a foul shot or spot shot is just something you repeat. The mechanics between the 3 are nowhere near alike.

Each shot in 14.1 is different.

Apples and oranges

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I've attended about a dozen SANCTIONED world straight pool championships, so I'd venture a guess I'm not clueless.

Your definition of mastering and mine are different. Mastering 14.1, to me, must include a tendency toward outplaying your rivals in the heat of battle in the toughest spots. John hasn't done this, and there's no reason to believe that his endless practice on a table with 5" pockets has prepared him in any way to beat the giants of straight pool on a table with pro specifications.

Amazing run for sure, a record that may stand forever, but we'll see if John can turn his very ordinary competitive record around. I'm betting against, but I'd be happy to be wrong.

Well, I'm betting the other way. I, for one, believe John became a better 14.1 player during his quest for the record and I'm willing to put my money where my mouth is. Stu, I will make you a small sweat bet of say $100 per match against any opponent John has the next time he participates in 14.1 tourney. I know you're down to your last few million and it might make you a bit anxious, but I'm offering you a chance to get a small taste of the presuure you feel when you have something on the line other than just your opinion. What do you say big guy?

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member

I have never believed that Mosconi's high run record defined him and I don't believe it now. Nor, for that matter, did I ever see his run as especially important. Willie thoroughly dominated his contemporaries in competition and that's his legacy. He was near unbeatable when the lights were shining brightest.

I'm not grasping at straws. I've watched live every top straight pooler since Lassiter and few have ever seen more world championship level straight pool played live than me. I know what I've seen, and while I see John's 626 run as a wonderful and historic achievement, I know where he stands relative to the former greats in the discipline.

You are allowed and invited to disagree with the conclusion I've drawn after a lifetime of watching top level 14.1, but apparently, I'm not allowed to disagree with you concerning how this should or will define John's legacy.

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was John's run in a public room?

I believe so from what I have read, although I honestly don't know, can you clarify? Actually can anyone post the video, I have still yet to see it :(

I wonder is John the celebrity that Willie was back in the day?

I also wonder how many people were gathered around and were watching Willie, I am sure you vets can name the number off the top of your head that signed that they saw his run.

Having played golf most my life, and been close to a scratch golfer, I will say this, teeing off in front of hundreds of people is much more stressful than teeing off in front of 5 people.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Was John's record a public exhibition or a practice session, do you consider there to be a difference between the two?

I would say it was more like an exhibition than a practice session in that it was announced in advance, every shot was recorded and there was an audience. He definitely didn't do it in his basement and was the only one there, like Cranfield's supposed 768.

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would say it was more like an exhibition than a practice session in that every shot was recorded and there was an audience. He definitely didn't do it in his basement and was the only one there, like Cranfield's supposed 768.

Thanks for clarifying Jay, appreciate it!

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member

They're the same thing, as long as there's some verification, no difference.

In the old days, some guys willing to sign up to it was verification.

Today, video seems to be the standard, which I have no problem with.

Me, I'll take video over a group of guys who may or may not have stayed awake, gone to the bathroom, gone for a beer break, or whatever.

But, above all, I'll also take the word, integrity, and character of the player who did it.

All the best,
WW

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Well, I'm betting the other way. I, for one, believe John became a better 14.1 player during his quest for the record and I'm willing to put my money where my mouth is. Stu, I will make you a small sweat bet of say $100 per match against any opponent John has the next time he participates in 14.1 tourney. I know you're down to your last few million and it might make you a bit anxious, but I'm offering you a chance to get a small taste of the presuure you feel when you have something on the line other than just your opinion. What do you say big guy?

Jay, I don't generally bet on pool because I've been witness to just a few too many dumps. I have bet real small on occasion, usually as a favor to someone looking for a small wager. I've also been a stake horse on occasion. If I knew it was all on the level, I'd have no problem betting you $10,000 next time John faces one of the elite in competition.

... but I'll bite, for $100, no one gets hurt. You won't have action in every match, though. Too much dead money out there, but let's say you've got action against any of the guys we'd agree are among the best in the discipline.

When's the next big 14.1 event?

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
I would say it was more like an exhibition than a practice session in that it was announced in advance, every shot was recorded and there was an audience. He definitely didn't do it in his basement and was the only one there, like Cranfield's supposed 768.

Agree Jay, except Cranfield never owned a pool table in his basement. His 768 was witnessed, but not continuously by enough people for it to be documented. There is a difference.

All the best,
WW

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agree Jay, except Cranfield never owned a pool table in his basement. His 768 was witnessed, but not continuously by enough people for it to be documented. There is a difference.

All the best,
WW

How many have to view for it to be "documented". Does video remove the needs for documentation, I mean from a record perspective?

Like if I turned in a video with 726 ball run, is that sufficient, or is there a certain amount of people who still have to witness it.

Sorry for all the questions, just honestly curious.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member

I'm among those that agree that Cranfield's 768, one of two runs he made over 700, should not count as a world record, not because of the lack of substantiation, but because it was a practice run, and a practice run shouldn't qualify for the record.

There is a fine line between an exhibition run and a practice run, but I think it's an important distinction. Schmidt entertained a crowd of onlookers, and that alone makes his run far more important.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
How many have to view for it to be "documented". Does video remove the needs for documentation, I mean from a record perspective?

Like if I turned in a video with 726 ball run, is that sufficient, or is there a certain amount of people who still have to witness it.

Sorry for all the questions, just honestly curious.

Mosconi supposedly had 37 signers. You pick a number between 1 and 37, and there's your answer.

With respect to video, I believe removes most of the needs for human documentation, but we have to be careful. Video can be edited, tricked, you name it. A combination of the two would be best, but again, I think the integrity and character of the player is just as important.

All the best,
WW