Dilemma...opinions welcome.

John Brumback

Silver Member
Thanks in advance.

Here's my dilemma,I will be moving into another house within the next year or so. (my old "homestead" where I grew up). So that means I have to move my pool table. Well I have a room in the house that has plenty of room for it but it is right in the middle of the floor. It's a big old farm house that I'm having remodeled. (No basement).

I really don't want to take up the nice big room right in the middle of my house with my pool table where I might be doing lessons and playing and maybe gettin a lil loud with my buds while my wife is tryin to watch tv. Ya know, stuff like that:D

Or I could put it in my shop.
So now about my shop conditions... My shop has a concrete floor with a few cracks but it's pretty level.I could put down some carpet just around the table. I know I will have to have it insulated real good and or better than it is.And I would. I have a gas furnace that warms it good and fast.

I should say that my shop was built for wood working and has alot of wood working tools,drill press,band saw,table saw,lathe, belt sander ect ect. However they would not be in the way at all.

So here's my main question...lets just say that you could take a pool lesson from whoever you want to name. but you would have to pay oh say 200$ for 4 hours.Would you do it in this shop?.

I hope to get a lot of opinions and advice. Thanks for your time. John B. PS: Shannon Daulton has been to my house and shop a bunch of times. He told me to put it in my shop.

Last edited:

xianmacx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John,

It could be in the middle of the expressway... people are paying for your lessons/experience not the table location.

Put it in Shop!

Ian

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hypothetically speaking, if I were to pay for lessons. I would prefer to be in a well insulated and ventilated building of some sort. I would expect anyone charging for lessons to take their business seriously and have a table in a business like establishment.

In other words, if I were paying for lessons, I don't want to play pool in your living room.

thejohnhughes

Registered
It's the quality of the instruction!

John,

As long as the equipment is in quality shape, the consideration I would have is regarding the carpet surrounding the table. It needs to be large enough that should I accidently drop my cue that it falls on the carpet and not the concrete floor. The environment should be comfortable (temperature, humidity, lighting etc.) so that the focus will be on the lesson.

My perspective,

John

ugotactionTX

I'm in dead rack!
Silver Member
I'm kinda like the other guy.... as long as the equipment is good and you're not freezing or sweating...I could really care less where it is. You're there for pool knowledge not home decorating tips. I'm going where the knowledge is not where I'm most comfortable...

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
If you are worried about the appearance of the shop, hang some black curtains to box in the table that can be pulled back when you aren't giving lessons.

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
Even though the living room might be "nicer" there are more potential distractions there for your student. You certainly wouldn't want the TV sound going on during a lesson, and there's no reason to restrict family members from using their house when you've got other good options.

I'd put it in the shop as long as it can be made as comfortable (HVAC) as a "home" room.

John Brumback

Silver Member
John,

As long as the equipment is in quality shape, the consideration I would have is regarding the carpet surrounding the table. It needs to be large enough that should I accidently drop my cue that it falls on the carpet and not the concrete floor. The environment should be comfortable (temperature, humidity, lighting etc.) so that the focus will be on the lesson.

My perspective,

John

Oh ok good thinking. About your name? My name is John Hugh Brumback,no kidding:thumbup:. JHB

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Hypothetically speaking, if I were to pay for lessons. I would prefer to be in a well insulated and ventilated building of some sort. I would expect anyone charging for lessons to take their business seriously and have a table in a business like establishment.

In other words, if I were paying for lessons, I don't want to play pool in your living room.

So, you think someone giving lessons needs to go find a store front and pay $1500 to $3000 a month for rent so it's professional enough ?

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Thanks in advance.

Here's my dilemma,I will be moving into another house within the next year or so. (my old "homestead" where I grew up). So that means I have to move my pool table. Well I have a room in the house that has plenty of room for it but it is right in the middle of the floor. It's a big old farm house that I'm having remodeled. (No basement).

I really don't want to take up the nice big room right in the middle of my house with my pool table where I might be doing lessons and playing and maybe gettin a lil loud with my buds while my wife is tryin to watch tv. Ya know, stuff like that:D

Or I could put it in my shop.
So now about my shop conditions... My shop has a concrete floor with a few cracks but it's pretty level.I could put down some carpet just around the table. I know I will have to have it insulated real good and or better than it is.And I would. I have a gas furnace that warms it good and fast.

I should say that my shop was built for wood working and has alot of wood working tools,drill press,band saw,table saw,lathe, belt sander ect ect. However they would not be in the way at all.

So here's my main question...lets just say that you could take a pool lesson from whoever you want to name. but you would have to pay oh say 200$ for 4 hours.Would you do it in this shop?.

I hope to get a lot of opinions and advice. Thanks for your time. John B. PS: Shannon Daulton has been to my house and shop a bunch of times. He told me to put it in my shop.

Yep, and call it the "Barnyard Pool School" so nobody can say they were not warned ;)

Though, any chance you can "ward" off the pool room area and throw in some AC for the summers ?

Last edited:

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
No Worries

John,
You have all the quaifications 4 hrs with you for a banker that is serious about what he is doing is well worth it in your shop...as long as she is warm.

I might want to take you up on that unless you find yourself in NC.

John Brumback

Silver Member
If you are worried about the appearance of the shop, hang some black curtains to box in the table that can be pulled back when you aren't giving lessons.

Thanks, not really worried about the appearance. I keep it clean It's kinda like my man cave too, pics, trophies, big bass, big buck racks on the walls.Pool pics,pool trophies, big checks stuff like that. Just to give more info,we also play corn hole and table tennis in it too.But all that stays put away until I want to get it out. John B.

phil dade

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Economics and price of lessons dictate that lessons can not cover overhead for an office.. Expect lessons in a pool room, instructor's home, or in your home.

John, over the years I have had pool lessons in public rooms or my home. Once in a billiard supply store. I think the home is better than a shop. You mentioned heat, but think air conditioning too. Also think about non playing temperatures and humidity affecting the table.

As for a 4 hour lesson, it is sort of long to learn, comprehend and motor memorize specifics UNLESS IT IS A PLAYING LESSON, LIKE A ROUND WITH A GOLF PRO GIVING TIPS ALL ALONG THE WAY. Playing banks with you for 4 hours would be fantastic and would be a great way to learn. However straight lessons I go 2 hours for pool, one hour for skeet/shooting, and golf shorter, more frequent, and practice what was taught to move forward to the next step. It is important to be able to motor memorize what you are learning.

I wish i were closer. If in Florida, let me know.
All the best,
Phil

Last edited:

theattendant

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think I would almost prefer to have it in the shop, provided there was a fridge, a radio and basic human comforts. It would be less distracting I think. I had a friend who had his table set up in a detached garage man cave type set up which was pretty awesome. The only thing I would worry about is if you were working with wood and the saw dust affects the table.

mattb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JB,

I care about what I get out of the lesson. If the lesson and equipment are good then I do not care if it is in the house or in the shop. Hell I have been to some old pool halls through Kentucky where they still spit their chew on the floor back when I covered tables.

J SCHWARZ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In a poolhall, ditch, on a ship, in a barn, or on the side of a cliff. Spending 4 hours with you at the table I'm will learn alot. If you ever come through Texas please pm me.

tashworth19191

Pool will make you humble
Silver Member
John, I used to worry about image when I became a Realtor. You know the type -> Realtor wearing nice clothes, driving a Lexus, hanging out in the ritz, etc. Well I did ok, but once I went through the downturn in Real Estate, started wearing blue jeans, drove an older (but clean) car and hung out where my normal friends hang out. I just focused on being myself and providing great customer service and MY BUSINESS SOARED.

So my lesson too you is put the pool room in the shop, keep the shop nice and clean, be yourself and you will be fine as long as you give great customer service. Good Luck, wish I could take a lesson from you.....