Joint Pin In Shaft Instead Of Butt

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was reading the thread about Robinson having the pins in the shafts instead of the joints.

I know many years ago that may have been common, but it is not too common in today's cue making.

Why would some cue makers think that it is better that the pin be in the shaft rather than the butt, and vice versa.

As far as "hit" or "feel" or anything, what would be the difference

Isn't it just the same size pin holding the cue together. What difference would it make which part of the joint connection was the "male" or the "female"?

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
It's more work and costs more .
Does it affect the hit ?
Well Spain used to do it and quit too .
I don't think any US Open or world 9-ball winner the last 5 decades had a shaft with the joint screw on it .
Unless they used a Robinson . Robinson's screw/joint system is pretty darn good btw. Really solid .
But, that system is just not the norm anymore.
A screw on the shaft would some 1 oz to them .

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It's more work and costs more .
Does it affect the hit ?
Well Spain used to do it and quit too .
I don't think any US Open or world 9-ball winner the last 5 decades had a shaft with the joint screw on it .
Unless they used a Robinson . Robinson's screw/joint system is pretty darn good btw. Really solid .
But, that system is just not the norm anymore.
A screw on the shaft would some 1 oz to them .

A local player said his break cue haS the pin the shaft-
Said It is BEST BREAK CUE HE HAS USED"

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ron Kilby does what you talked about.

Screw in Shaft, wood screw.

FYI

http://caromcues.com/difference.htm

When it comes to the cue with a wooden pin...
Well I've built one recently and had some fun. https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=509787
There were quite a few things I faced for the first time during this project. Before I started I had to decide exactly the same...where to have a pin.
My decision was to build it in a shaft and my reasoning was pretty simple. So as the wooden pin is quite bigger (longer and thicker) and baring in mind the geometry of the cue specifically the forearm is getting thicker going from the joint downward while the shaft is getting narrower going from the joint in the opposite direction upward.
So I just decided better to have more meat at the walls where is the female part.
When it comes to the other common joint pins used out there it is another story...

RickLafayette

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
My father's old cue. He died 25 years ago, had the cue for more years than I can remember. I don't know who made it or where he got it from. We lived in the Bronx way back when he first got it.

Dads 1.jpg
Dads 2.jpg
Dads 3.jpg

Thunder Thighs

I'm your Huckleberry
Silver Member
My snooker cue has a pin in the shaft. Most, of not all snooker cues I’ve seen, are made this way.

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My father's old cue. He died 25 years ago, had the cue for more years than I can remember. I don't know who made it or where he got it from. We lived in the Bronx way back when he first got it.

Hard to tell from the light reflections - is that an octagon?
How does it feel to play, compared to "normal" cue?
I've thought of doing one 12 sides. Or stopped reeds x 12 or 16.
But it would probably be too much novelty (IOW "cute")

On pin in shaft vs butt: Most people have multiple shafts for one butt; and want the option of trying more. :)
"So what"? You say. Well, for the cuemaker, making a good shaft takes about as much time as making a simple butt but pays no where near as well. More wood goes in the trash, too (rejects that just aren't going to make it, after you get 1/2 way into it). So anything that streamlines the process of making the shaft end is good. Shafts are sort of the disposable or consumable part of the cue tool/instrument. Putting in a pin on center & re-truing the shaft is one more step that can be disposed of. Since which end the pin is in does nothing for or against performance, simpler is better.
smt

Last edited:

RickLafayette

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hard to tell from the light reflections - is that an octagon?
How does it feel to play, compared to "normal" cue?
I've thought of doing one 12 sides. Or stopped reeds x 12 or 16.
But it would probably be too much novelty (IOW "cute")

smt

Yeah, octagon. I've never played it. The tip is an old, dried out one piece leather tip that is probably original. LOL I was never motivated to change the tip to see how she played.

jayman

Hi Mom!
Gold Member
Silver Member
If you screw it together, then it's in both. if it gets stuck on wrong side and comes out the other, then....