Kamui chalk not allowed in some leagues?

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Something new I can add to my resume:

" - Capable of operating a cube of Kamui chalk without issues"

Haha same here. You’ll never know what chalk I was using when I left. You just need a lite coating lol

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Banned in our league. Tables would end up looking like the face of the moon after a player who used Kamui, room owner asked that it not be used.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
This^! Never even seen a problem with Master on my table at home or in the room I played in for 25 years. Learn to chalk properly and it won't happen! I've been using Master for over 40 years.

That's solid logic, but I suspect that like me, maybe you're just cheap. I've got gallon size jars of Master but I don't remember buying any of it

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Banned in our league. Tables would end up looking like the face of the moon after a player who used Kamui, room owner asked that it not be used.

I have a team mate in my pool league that uses it. I always have to at least clean the cue ball after he’s played with it. Maybe he’s using it wrong, no idea.

Tooler

AhSheetMaDruars
Silver Member
Something new I can add to my resume:

" - Capable of operating a cube of Kamui chalk without issues"

Lets get some shirts made :

" Are you Chalk Challenged?"

Attachments

• christopher-lloyd-back-to-the-future.jpg
    christopher-lloyd-back-to-the-future.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 167

Meucciplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ll believe it when I see it. My guess is the reason kamui stays on tips so long is the same reason it sticks to cue balls and cloth so much, but I’ll be happy to be proven wrong.

Not really. Magic Chalk proves otherwise. It stays on even longer and doesn't make a mess. And no, you can't make "no mess at all" with Kamui. I don't chalk a lot. That is why I initially bought one cube of 0.98 and 1.21 each. 1.21 is slightly better but nowhere near clean. Master and Magic won't ever stick to your cue ball even nearly as much. If you use too much Kamui it is all over the place. But you certainly can't avoid it sticking to a cue ball (and other balls to a lesser degree). It becomes worse when the ball set is not brand new. The tiny scratches on the surface of the balls make Kamui stick badly.

I am glad I have finished both cubes and my table and ball cleaning time was reduced to about 1/5-1/10th. And I don't need to hand-polish balls before they go into the machine any more.

I don't know the Roku but why should I spend 5 times as much when there is Magic Chalk which stays on the tip longer - as quite a few people have observed. About twice as long.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's solid logic, but I suspect that like me, maybe you're just cheap. I've got gallon size jars of Master but I don't remember buying any of it

I don't think it's cheap to find something you're happy with and stay with it. That's why I've had my Dishaw since I bought it in the mid '90s. I've had other cues I've paid more for, Murray Tucker, Andy Gilbert, Mike Gulyassy, etc. Still have the Dishaw, the others are all gone. I don't find it necessary to buy expensive chalk when Master works fine for me.

Meucciplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Price is not my main consideration. I know my own shortcomings. I tend to chalk sloppily or forget it altogether at times. This is why I prefer the "better" chalks - although Master or any other cheap chalk would do fine, if it were not for my own faults.

However, if an expensive chalk like Kamui is so messy as it is I don't see any sense in using it. You can apply it as thinly as you want - it still is many times messier than all the others mentioned here. You just can't avoid the smudges on whitey. When the cb is brand new it may be just bearable. DrDave did some great testing with all kinds of chalks http://billiards.colostate.edu/threads/chalk.html

The perfect chalk will never be developed. That would stay on the cue tip for it's entire life, not stick to anything else, not leave any powdery residue on the table and make the craziest English possible. The only parameters that significantly change between chalks are price, how long they stay on the tip, and how much they mess up everything. DrDave proved that you can't go further outside on the cb or do any other magic with them. This has also been my observation.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
I don't think it's cheap to find something you're happy with and stay with it. That's why I've had my Dishaw since I bought it in the mid '90s. I've had other cues I've paid more for, Murray Tucker, Andy Gilbert, Mike Gulyassy, etc. Still have the Dishaw, the others are all gone. I don't find it necessary to buy expensive chalk when Master works fine for me.

No insult intended, nothing wrong at all with being frugal, and nothing wrong with Masters.
I'm cheap, I wear it like a WWE Championship belt, and I steal the house chalk, sometimes
on purpose, sometimes not. Nothing wrong with being cheap.

I wonder, have you tried the $30 chalk? I think chalk is a personal preference thing. I know
that a great many people here love the Russian Magic Chalk, I found it to be dry and
dusty and very, very similar to Silver Cup. It didn't work for me. My personal preference is
for Brunswick and for some reason green is better that blue. I found an almost new cube
of Cosmo chalk, I thought this stuff was outstanding but I have never seen it anywhere
for sale.
I think you have to go with what you like, what works for you.
So, what have you tried besides the Masters? and is the only thing you don't like about it
is the price?

Last edited:

Meucciplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know
that a great many people here love the Russian Magic Chalk, I found it to be dry and
dusty and very, very similar to Silver Cup. It didn't work for me.

Well, it is sort of hard and dry. But the main difference compared to Master is that it stays on the tip significantly longer. Even on totally glazed Ultraskin tips it stays on at least three to four hard hits. So it is not essential to chalk after every single shot (which I tend to forget at times or I do it sloppily). On well prepared tips you can easily shoot out a full rack without having to worry.

Apart from that - I don't see any difference to Master. Kamui is another beast and I don't want it on my table and balls again.