which players got/get the most out of a compact stroke?

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
Skyler's backswing is pretty compact,but generates a shitload of power with just a flat ball with it.

In a different way,Alex fits this mold too.

A truly compact stroke doesn't have a 12" bridge length either,usually much closer to the cue ball around 8" is about right in terms of efficiency of motion if you are truly using a loose throwing type motion to execute the stroke,as opposed to a firmer grip like CJ and a deliberate hand/grip action to drive the tip thru the ball.

Other players that have a real efficient stroke with very few moving parts are Siming Chen and Allison Fisher. Tommy D.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I still can’t believe in 45 replies, I am the only one who has mentioned Grady Matthews. He set his tip 2 inches behind a ball and had no backstroke, just fires. Even when he was playing 9-ball, same stroke!

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I still can’t believe in 45 replies, I am the only one who has mentioned Grady Matthews. He set his tip 2 inches behind a ball and had no backstroke, just fires. Even when he was playing 9-ball, same stroke!

especially when it comes to the older players
I'm not very well-versed in how they play
but watching grady vs. buddy now accu-stats
grady generally doesn't pull it back much
what about his stroke that impresses tho
is that he seems to do just what he needs to
sometimes his stroke does lengthen out
but only when it appears natural to do that
otherwise, I'd say he's pretty economical withit

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

You got it right Chris. He was a 'puncher' for sure.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here’s a video of me shooting playing the ghost, is it compact stroke?

https://youtu.be/eff3Df1BWFA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have a fairly tight back swing but a normal/average follow through. Damn man, you have a powerful break! I'm not sure how you generate all that power but it moves you up a full speed being able to break like that.

You didn't ask but I'll tell you anyway. You are only and inch or two away from being a strong player. Nothing that a year or so of eight hour days wouldn't cure! :smile:

You were a little weak playing shape off the eight ball in the first game and you played a nice shot off the eight in game two. I would recommend you work on your draw shots, maybe trying to cue a little lower on the cue ball (stay on the center axis). The other thing that might help is a little adjustment in your stance. Try moving your feet around just an inch or two and see how it feels. This is the kind of small adjustment that might come naturally if you play a really long session. When your body gets tired you will begin to make adjustments for the fatigue and that's a good thing. I'd love to see what happens if you play an all night session one time. You know, maybe play from 7 or 8 PM until 4 or 5 AM, preferably with an opponent.

You hit the ball solid and with confidence. I like that. I wouldn't worry about the length of my stroke if I were you. It doesn't need fixing. :)

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Here’s a video of me shooting playing the ghost, is it compact stroke?

https://youtu.be/eff3Df1BWFA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like what I see.
I have two suggestions...you can get lower on the shot by keeping your right leg straight..
..just move it back farther.
...and play some straight pool...you got a 100 ball run in you.

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You have a fairly tight back swing but a normal/average follow through. Damn man, you have a powerful break! I'm not sure how you generate all that power but it moves you up a full speed being able to break like that.

You didn't ask but I'll tell you anyway. You are only and inch or two away from being a strong player. Nothing that a year or so of eight hour days wouldn't cure! :smile:

You were a little weak playing shape off the eight ball in the first game and you played a nice shot off the eight in game two. I would recommend you work on your draw shots, maybe trying to cue a little lower on the cue ball (stay on the center axis). The other thing that might help is a little adjustment in your stance. Try moving your feet around just an inch or two and see how it feels. This is the kind of small adjustment that might come naturally if you play a really long session. When your body gets tired you will begin to make adjustments for the fatigue and that's a good thing. I'd love to see what happens if you play an all night session one time. You know, maybe play from 7 or 8 PM until 4 or 5 AM, preferably with an opponent.

You hit the ball solid and with confidence. I like that. I wouldn't worry about the length of my stroke if I were you. It doesn't need fixing. :)

Thank you for the compliment. My break is just that I use a different type of stroke if you notice and it works for me.

I'll try to work on your suggestion, but to play an 8 hr a day is just pushing it, I got work, studies and a family with kids, so maybe I can squeeze in an hour a day if I get lucky :D.

Some posters already mentioned that I am not a compact stroke and in fact far from it, but my follow-up question is, are there any advantages of a compact stroke? is it better? also what does my type of stroke called, I'm just curious.

boyraks

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Alex has the greatest compact stroke of the modern era. The key is the wrist release, if you do that correctly you don't need a long backswing.

Your right hand simply draws back and returns EXACTLY where it started from and the POP (similar to a whip) allows you to move the cueball effortlessly.

Most players follow through too far, 3-4 inches is plenty for most shots, watch Shane V. and Sky W to see how it's done expertly.
pop the whip is the right term....i read it somewhere.
Jeffrey Ignacio has that stroke.
Chicnakov (sp) has the best flowing stroke.

Sent from my AGS-L03 using Tapatalk