What would you do?

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you were setting up an older Valley 44" x 88" and you wanted to make it fast, fun, and competitive, what would you do to make it your dream table? The ultimate use would be for "friendly wagering" with a group of acquaintances who think of themselves as pretty good sticks.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you were setting up an older Valley 44" x 88" and you wanted to make it fast, fun, and competitive, what would you do to make it your dream table? The ultimate use would be for "friendly wagering" with a group of acquaintances who think of themselves as pretty good sticks.
Ridgeback rails and good cloth.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member

Attachments

• 20191027_173944.jpg
    20191027_173944.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 483

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Yep.

And something like this his should keep 'em honest.

Those are buckets for pockets, throat of the pocket is wider than the mouth, which deflects everything to the back as well as no slate shelf for the balls to sit on....LOL

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Those are buckets for pockets, throat of the pocket is wider than the mouth, which deflects everything to the back as well as no slate shelf for the balls to sit on....LOL

It’s a valley yo. At least there’s not an extra half inch on both sides : )

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
No thanks. My point was they’re made to be easy, you can’t add shelf slate

You're right...Valley tables are made to be easy. But after installing the ridgeback rails and fast cloth, they play a lot better, less sloppy too.

As far as adding shelf slate.....

I had an old 9ft 1924 Brunswick table. The pockets were huge, 5", and the slate shelf was sloped into each pocket. I took a hacksaw and a drill, cut some half inch grooves and drilled a few little holes for pins into the edge of the slate at each corner pocket. Then I used fiberglass body filler and extended the shelf another 0.75", making each level to the drop off also, instead of sloping into the pocket like they were. It worked great. Just an idea for anyone that would like deeper shelves.

Mike81

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ridgeback rails refers to the rubber, right? Do they have another name?

pj
chgo

Ridgeback refers to the upper and lower ridges along the backside of the wood keeping the top and bottom of the rail contacting the valley frame work. When you tighten them down they can’t pivot and the nose height stays where it was designed to be.

Mike81

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Also ridgeback rails have a standard pocket width and pro-cut pocket option as well. The pro-cut rails will change the game on a valley table completely. Imo

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Also ridgeback rails have a standard pocket width and pro-cut pocket option as well. The pro-cut rails will change the game on a valley table completely. Imo
That's the whole idea. RB rails make a Valley pretty tough.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Current Valley's..................

I msg'd them and they sent me dimensions: 4&5/8" corners, 4&3/4" sides. Shelf depth is 1&1/8" at corner and 1/8" at sides.