Stroke! Wonder How to get their fantastic Strokes?

misterpoole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For starters play on big tables, 9 foot and bigger, as much as you can. Play games that develop a stroke like 9 ball , 3c, snooker.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
For some, (hard heads) NO explanation will EVER suffice! :deadhorse:

For others, (intelligent people) no explanation is necessary! :grin:
Yep - we just disagree about who's who.

I know you're a good player with a great stroke, Bill - I've seen it. Having a great stroke doesn't = knowing everything.

pj
chgo

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
Yep - we just disagree about who's who.

I know you're a good player with a great stroke, Bill - I've seen it. Having a great stroke doesn't = knowing everything.

pj
chgo

One quick look at the both of us playing, the difference is obvious!

Being that, "I" KNOW what is possible and what is NOT!

Obviously, YOU DON'T!

YOU limit yourself to limited info! ;) Do I need to expand! :D

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
The thing about absolutes, they are almost always wrong!

How far out can you hit a cue ball

The pot is near a low boil, might as well generate some steam!

First off, there is no absolute single limit to how far out players can hit a cue ball. Somewhat equipment dependent, quite a bit more dependent on how you get out to the edge of bite. Front hand english, back hand english, and parallel english all have different limits to how far out a cue ball can be hit. I kinda like how forehand english works or parallel then applying just a bit of backhand english. Comes down to what a player likes to use because I suspect all generate the same amount of spin. I have never seen or heard of testing that proves different.

Oh yeah, I will take all bets from those that think a cue ball can't reverse direction in midair.

:D:D:D
Hu

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Front hand english, back hand english, and parallel english all have different limits to how far out a cue ball can be hit.
And of course this can be demonstrated...?

Maybe start with what you think those terms mean...

pj
chgo

Last edited:

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
patrick
billiard books commonly show english points like that
it refers to extreme english
here is a pic from a spanish source of the effectos (english) for a system
View attachment 517354

Larry; here's MORE evidence from this video of MANY shots being played with EXTREME English!

I guess ALL these players are wrong also, according to,PJ, (Sherman)!

https://www.facebook.com/300Neverz/videos/193326424905837/

BTW, Does ANYONE thinks the balls are juiced up in this video?

Last edited:

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
the principles have been demonstrated thousands of times

And of course this can be demonstrated...?

Maybe start with what you think those terms mean...

pj
chgo

I suggest you look up what the types of english are. Find one of the explanations with pictures, the printed word is beyond you when explaining mechanical things. Note that the cue ball always sits on a spot directly between the middle and the surface it is on. Then look at the representations of cue sticks. Note that each type of english creats a different angle relative to the spot the cue ball sits on to hit the cue ball in the same place.

Study these illustrations for days, months, years, decades, however long it takes you to understand that different types of english create different relationships between the direction of force through the cue stick and the part of the cue ball resting on the surface.

Once you grasp this, there should be no need for further explanation. If there is I suggest a trip to your nearest large public library or one listed as a reference library. They can help most people.

Hu

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Front hand english, back hand english, and parallel english all have different limits to how far out a cue ball can be hit.
...each type of english creats a different angle relative to the spot the cue ball sits on to hit the cue ball in the same place.
If you want to make the same shot hitting the same CB spot with the same cue, your cue must be angled the same way when it hits the spot - no matter how you get it there - or you'll miss the shot.

Backhand and fronthand (and "parallel", whatever that means to you) are just different ways to get to that same spot with the same angle. The amount of squirt doesn't change, so you either get to that angle or miss.

I suggest you look up what the types of english are.
I suggest you do the same. Maybe you'll learn they aren't different "types of english".

pj
chgo

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe, just maybe..... instead of talking chit to each other, why not just match up or if you live to far apart:

Each one put a ghost vid up and see who can put the best 10 ball score from 10 to heck...25 if you have the time / energy?

Make a small wager. Say, $25....lol....barely enough to buy lunch but it's just enough to be a place holder.....so to speak.

If someone calls me out and they live far away...well, that what I like to do.

Its actually fun as long as both parties are trustworthy.

Carry on.....Rake

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
Maybe, just maybe..... instead of talking chit to each other, why not just match up or if you live to far apart:

Each one put a ghost vid up and see who can put the best 10 ball score from 10 to heck...25 if you have the time / energy?

Make a small wager. Say, $25....lol....barely enough to buy lunch but it's just enough to be a place holder.....so to speak.

If someone calls me out and they live far away...well, that what I like to do.

Its actually fun as long as both parties are trustworthy.

Carry on.....Rake

They need to be members of Behind the Rock. behindtherock.org.

Every one can play matches.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some people have "strokes"...others can hit the ball hard.

I have been told by numerous, numerous people that I have a "powerful" stroke. One guy in a tournament even gave me the nickname "Monster Stroke" after he saw me draw the cue ball a couple table lengths with my cue that everyone called a "log". It weighs over 21 ounces and has a 14mm tip.

Stroke has a lot to do with "timing" and not everyone has that. Just yesterday an old guy who plays pretty well came up to me and asked me to show him a shot that he saw me shoot a week or so ago. It is nothing but a simple "stun and run" shot from the end short rail, straight up the middle of the table to the other end rail and the cue ball hits three rails and comes back to the spot you hit the ball from. He said that it doesn't look like I'm hitting the ball as hard as I am to get that much "action" on the cue ball.

I've shown bunches of them the shot, with them standing directly behind me while I do it, and none of them can do it, except as a fluke every once in a while.

I think learning to play on old tables with slow, damp cloth in places that had poorly working, if any, air conditioning made learning to "stroke" the ball a bit more of a priority that it is today. With today's faster cloth and rails, you can "baby" the ball and get around without having to what I'd call "stroke" the ball. You couldn't do that in the old days.

As far as "how far can you go to the outside edge of the cue ball", I'd say a hell of a lot farther than some of the pool scientists on here will tell you.

In order to successfully hit "way outside" you have to have a good straight stroke and plenty of acceleration. If you hit "off target" on the cue ball or don't have proper acceleration, you may be prone to miscuing a lot.